Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 14:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
67 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3263

Kudos [?]: 22732 [67] , given: 2646

Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Guys I didn't forget your request, just was collecting good questions to post.

So here are some inequality and absolute value questions from my collection. Not every problem below is hard, but there are a few, which are quite tricky. Please provide your explanations along with the answers.

1. If 6*x*y = x^2*y + 9*y, what is the value of xy?
(1) y – x = 3
(2) x^3< 0

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-20.html#p653690

2. If y is an integer and y = |x| + x, is y = 0?
(1) x < 0
(2) y < 1

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-20.html#p653695

3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653697

4. Are x and y both positive?
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653709

5. What is the value of y?
(1) 3|x^2 -4| = y - 2
(2) |3 - y| = 11

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653731

6. If x and y are integer, is y > 0?
(1) x +1 > 0
(2) xy > 0

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653740

7. |x+2|=|y+2| what is the value of x+y?
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653783 AND inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-160.html#p1111747

8. a*b#0. Is |a|/|b|=a/b?
(1) |a*b|=a*b
(2) |a|/|b|=|a/b|

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653789

9. Is n<0?
(1) -n=|-n|
(2) n^2=16

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653792

10. If n is not equal to 0, is |n| < 4 ?
(1) n^2 > 16
(2) 1/|n| > n

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653796

11. Is |x+y|>|x-y|?
(1) |x| > |y|
(2) |x-y| < |x|

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653853

12. Is r=s?
(1) -s<=r<=s
(2) |r|>=s

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653870

13. Is |x-1| < 1?
(1) (x-1)^2 <= 1
(2) x^2 - 1 > 0

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653886

Official answers (OA's) and detailed solutions are in my posts on pages 2 and 3.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22732 [0], given: 2646

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 07:06
Expert's post
gmatter0913 wrote:
That is exactly where my confusion is..

Quote:
What is the value of y?
1. y>=2
2. If y<3 then the value of y is -8, if y>3 then the value of y is 14 (think we have two groups here)

When using Option 1 in Option 2,

You are looking at comparing with the result of the groups (-8 or 14). As y>=2, it has to be 14.

I am looking at the conditions of the groups ( y< 3 or y>3). As y>=2 I cannot decide the group. Hence Option 1 and Option 2 together are not sufficient. What is wrong in this approach?

Can you please use the other approach? It's much easier.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 19:46
Bunuel,

I think I really need your help in resolving this for me. Please??

In the inequalities set that you posted, I've into this same situation with only problem 5 and 7. Actually my approach is not different.

Looking at problem 7

Quote:
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

This one is quite interesting.

First note that |x+2|=|y+2| can take only two possible forms:

A. x+2=y+2 --> x=y. This will occur if and only x and y are both >= than -2 OR both <= than -2. In that case x=y. Which means that their product will always be positive or zero when x=y=0.
B. x+2=-y-2 --> x+y=-4. This will occur when either x or y is less then -2 and the other is more than -2.

When we have scenario A, xy will be nonnegative only. Hence if xy is negative we have scenario B and x+y=-4. Also note that vise-versa is not right. Meaning that we can have scenario B and xy may be positive as well as negative.

(1) xy<0 --> We have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

(2) x>2 and y<2, x is not equal to y, we don't have scenario A, hence we have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

In the above problem, when you are solving the option (2) you said as follows:

x>2 and y<2 and hence as x is not equal to y, it has to be scenario B.

My doubt is a similar one here:
When we made Scenario B we know that Scenario B will hold only if:
This will occur when either x or y is less then -2 and the other is more than -2.

In such cases, shouldn't we compare [x>2 and y<2] from option (2) with the condition of Scenario B, before deciding that it belongs to Scenario B.

Please please help me on this :)
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 02:22
Expert's post
gmatter0913 wrote:
Bunuel,

I think I really need your help in resolving this for me. Please??

In the inequalities set that you posted, I've into this same situation with only problem 5 and 7. Actually my approach is not different.

Looking at problem 7

Quote:
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

A. x+2=y+2 --> x=y. This will occur if and only x and y are both >= than -2 OR both <= than -2. In that case x=y. Which means that their product will always be positive or zero when x=y=0.
B. x+2=-y-2 --> x+y=-4. This will occur when either x or y is less then -2 and the other is more than -2.

When we have scenario A, xy will be nonnegative only. Hence if xy is negative we have scenario B and x+y=-4. Also note that vise-versa is not right. Meaning that we can have scenario B and xy may be positive as well as negative.

(1) xy<0 --> We have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

(2) x>2 and y<2, x is not equal to y, we don't have scenario A, hence we have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

In the above problem, when you are solving the option (2) you said as follows:

x>2 and y<2 and hence as x is not equal to y, it has to be scenario B.

My doubt is a similar one here:
When we made Scenario B we know that Scenario B will hold only if:
This will occur when either x or y is less then -2 and the other is more than -2.

In such cases, shouldn't we compare [x>2 and y<2] from option (2) with the condition of Scenario B, before deciding that it belongs to Scenario B.

Please please help me on this :)

Please check easier solution here: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-160.html#p1111747

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 21:21
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
2x-2y=1 --> x=y+\frac{1}{2}
\frac{x}{y}>1 --> \frac{x-y}{y}>0 --> substitute x --> \frac{1}{y}>0 --> y is positive, and as x=y+\frac{1}{2}, x is positive too. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Bunuel , Can you please show how we can reach to C using graphical approach ?

The First and Last time !!!

BKPL - Below Kudos Poverty Line .....Need your help.

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 22:30
Bunuel wrote:
(1) n^2 > 16
(2) 1/|n| > n

Question basically asks is -4<n<4 true.

(1) n^2>16 --> n>4 or n<-4, the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

(2) 1/|n| > n, this is true for all negative values of n, hence we can not answer the question. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hi Bunuel ,

I know saying (1/|n|) < n will be true for all n<0 is quite clear logically. Still I want to reach this conclusion mathematically.

I got swayed solving for n|n| < 1 .

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 04:27
Expert's post
StormedBrain wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative.Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
\frac{x}{y}>1 --> \frac{x-y}{y}>0 --> substitute x --> \frac{1}{y}>0 --> y is positive, and as x=y+\frac{1}{2}, x is positive too. Sufficient.

The question asks whether point (x, y) is in the first quadrant.

(1) 2x-2y=1 --> draw line y=x-1/2:
Attachment:
graph.png
graph.png [ 6.13 KiB | Viewed 437 times ]
Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> Draf line x/y=1. The solutions is the green region:
Attachment:
graph (2).png
graph (2).png [ 5.95 KiB | Viewed 416 times ]
Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Intersection is the portion of the blue line which lies in the first quadrant. Sufficient.

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22732 [1] , given: 2646

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 05:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
StormedBrain wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) n^2 > 16
(2) 1/|n| > n

(2) 1/|n| > n, this is true for all negative values of n, hence we can not answer the question. Not sufficient.

Hi Bunuel ,

I know saying (1/|n|) < n will be true for all n<0 is quite clear logically. Still I want to reach this conclusion mathematically.

n*|n| < 1.

If n<0, then we'll have -n^2<1 --> n^2>-1. Which is true. So, n*|n| < 1 holds true for any negative value of n.
If n>0, then we'll have n^2<1 --> -1<n<1. So, n*|n| < 1 also holds true for 0<n<1.

Thus 1/|n| > n holds true if n<0 and 0<n<1.

Does this make sense?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
StormedBrain wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

One of the approaches:

Attachment:
graph.png
Not sufficient.

Attachment:
graph (1).png
Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Intersection is the portion of the blue line which lies in the first quadrant. Sufficient.

Hope it helps.

Hey Bunuel,

I am a bit confused. Shouldn't the green area in 3rd quadrant be above the line and below x-axis ?

Lets take a point (-0.5,-1) in the green shaded region , then -0.5/-1 = 1/2 <1.. :roll:

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 07:16
Expert's post
StormedBrain wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
StormedBrain wrote:

Attachment:
graph.png
Not sufficient.

Attachment:
graph (1).png
Not sufficient.

Hope it helps.

Hey Bunuel,

I am a bit confused. Shouldn't the green area in 3rd quadrant be above the line and below x-axis ?

Lets take a point (-0.5,-1) in the green shaded region , then -0.5/-1 = 1/2 <1.. :roll:

Yes, I marked the wrong region. Edited. Thank you. +1.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 07:18
Bunuel wrote:
StormedBrain wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) n^2 > 16
(2) 1/|n| > n

Hi Bunuel ,

n*|n| < 1.

If n<0, then we'll have -n^2<1 --> n^2>-1. Which is true. So, n*|n| < 1 holds true for any negative value of n.
If n>0, then we'll have n^2<1 --> -1<n<1. So, n*|n| < 1 also holds true for 0<n<1.

Thus 1/|n| > n holds true if n<0 and 0<n<1.

Does this make sense?

Thanks Bunuel .

I dedicated whole day today to inequality . Lots of learning.. thanks again.

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 07:20
Expert's post
StormedBrain wrote:
Thanks Bunuel .

I dedicated whole day today to inequality . Lots of learning.. thanks again.

You can also check the following links.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 12:22
Bunuel wrote:
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

Bunuel,
why can't we open the first modulus as well? x+2 and -x-2?
thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 23:10
Bunuel wrote:
13. Is |x-1| < 1?
(1) (x-1)^2 <= 1
(2) x^2 - 1 > 0

Last one.

Is |x-1| < 1? Basically the question asks is 0<x<2 true?

(1) (x-1)^2 <= 1 --> x^2-2x<=0 --> x(x-2)<=0 --> 0<=x<=2. x is in the range (0,2) inclusive. This is the trick here. x can be 0 or 2! Else it would be sufficient. So not sufficient.

Hello Bunuel, what about (x-1) ^ 2 < 1 means (x-1) is for sure less than 1 , as square of less than 1 can only occur if the original number is less than 1?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 23:13
Expert's post
muzammil wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
13. Is |x-1| < 1?
(1) (x-1)^2 <= 1
(2) x^2 - 1 > 0

Last one.

Is |x-1| < 1? Basically the question asks is 0<x<2 true?

(1) (x-1)^2 <= 1 --> x^2-2x<=0 --> x(x-2)<=0 --> 0<=x<=2. x is in the range (0,2) inclusive. This is the trick here. x can be 0 or 2! Else it would be sufficient. So not sufficient.

Hello Bunuel, what about (x-1) ^ 2 < 1 means (x-1) is for sure less than 1 , as square of less than 1 can only occur if the original number is less than 1?

Sorry, don't get what you mean. Can you please elaborate? Thank you.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 06:16
Bunuel wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a --> x^2+2xy+y^2=9a. Clearly insufficient.

(2) (x – y)^2 = a --> x^2-2xy+y^2=a. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Add them up 2(x^2+y^2)=10a --> x^2+y^2=5a. Also insufficient as x,y, and a could be 0 and x^2 + y^2 > 4a won't be true, as LHS and RHS would be in that case equal to zero. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

1+2 also insufficient when a is -ve .. consider a -1 ..

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 07:19
Expert's post
stunn3r wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

(1)+(2) Add them up 2(x^2+y^2)=10a --> x^2+y^2=5a. Also insufficient as x,y, and a could be 0 and x^2 + y^2 > 4a won't be true, as LHS and RHS would be in that case equal to zero. Not sufficient.

1+2 also insufficient when a is -ve .. consider a -1 ..

a cannot be a negative number because each statement says that a=(non-negative value).

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 07:21
Bunuel wrote:
a cannot be a negative number because each statement says that a=(non-negative value).

yeah .. correct ..haha, how did I miss that ..

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 22:13
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

Also insufficient as x,y, and a could be 0
Why did you assume that ALL COULD be zero.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 23:02
Expert's post
madn800 wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

Also insufficient as x,y, and a could be 0
Why did you assume that ALL COULD be zero.

Because they could be 0, why not? And IF x=y=a=0, then the answer would be NO but if they take some other values then the answer would be YES.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 19:10
12. Is r=s?
(1) -s<=r<=s
(2) |r|>=s

From (1)
take a number line

-s---------------0-------------s

So, 5 cases are possible
r----------------0---------------s
(or)
-s------r-------0---------------s
(or)
-s--------------0-------r-------s
(or)
-s--------------r----------------s (r can be zero also)
(or)
-s--------------0---------------r
The last case is the correct answer, but we have other 4 cases.INSUFFICIENT.

From (2)
|r|>=s
----->> r>=s and -r>=s
----->> r>=s and r<=-s

take number line
------(-s)-------------0--------------+s------
Still we cannot say wether r=s. INSUFFICIENT.

NOW combine the two(1+2)
we get
------(-s)-------------0--------------+s------ i.e., r can lie anywhere on the line and still we CANNOT say wether r=s.
Hence, E.
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2013, 19:10