Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 15:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Expert Post
70 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23482
Followers: 3502

Kudos [?]: 26454 [70] , given: 2712

Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 10:33
70
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
122
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Guys I didn't forget your request, just was collecting good questions to post.

So here are some inequality and absolute value questions from my collection. Not every problem below is hard, but there are a few, which are quite tricky. Please provide your explanations along with the answers.

1. If 6*x*y = x^2*y + 9*y, what is the value of xy?
(1) y – x = 3
(2) x^3< 0

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-20.html#p653690

2. If y is an integer and y = |x| + x, is y = 0?
(1) x < 0
(2) y < 1

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-20.html#p653695

3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653697

4. Are x and y both positive?
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653709

5. What is the value of y?
(1) 3|x^2 -4| = y - 2
(2) |3 - y| = 11

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653731

6. If x and y are integer, is y > 0?
(1) x +1 > 0
(2) xy > 0

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653740

7. |x+2|=|y+2| what is the value of x+y?
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653783 AND inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-160.html#p1111747

8. a*b#0. Is |a|/|b|=a/b?
(1) |a*b|=a*b
(2) |a|/|b|=|a/b|

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653789

9. Is n<0?
(1) -n=|-n|
(2) n^2=16

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653792

10. If n is not equal to 0, is |n| < 4 ?
(1) n^2 > 16
(2) 1/|n| > n

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653796

11. Is |x+y|>|x-y|?
(1) |x| > |y|
(2) |x-y| < |x|

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653853

12. Is r=s?
(1) -s<=r<=s
(2) |r|>=s

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653870

13. Is |x-1| < 1?
(1) (x-1)^2 <= 1
(2) x^2 - 1 > 0

Solution: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-40.html#p653886

Official answers (OA's) and detailed solutions are in my posts on pages 2 and 3.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2013
Posts: 109
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 20:29
6. If x and y are integer, is y > 0?
(1) x +1 > 0
(2) xy > 0

If y>0 then the question becomes does y represent a +ve integer?

From (1)
x+1>0
x>-1

Now take to number line
-----------------(-1)------0------1------2-------3-----------
We DO NOT know anything about y.INSUFFICIENT.

From (2)
xy>0
This means
(i)-ve integer *-ve integer >0
(or)
(ii)+ve integer *+ve integer >0
Also it means that neither x nor y is 0
Here in (i) y CAN be -ve (or) in (ii) y can be +ve. INSUFFICIENT.

NOW do (1+2)
-----------------(-1)------0------1------2-------3-----------
This becomes
-----------------(-1)------0------1------2-------3-----------
i.e., 0 is eliminated from solution set of x. WHY?
Because, neither x nor y is 0 (stated earlier)
Now look at below two statements,
(i)-ve integer *-ve integer >0
(or)
(ii)+ve integer *+ve integer >0
From number line it is established that x is >=1
Hence, case (i) is ELIMINATED
We are left with case (ii) which states both are +ve====> y is a +ve integer.
Answer: C
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2013
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 20:11
Bunuel wrote:
4. Are x and y both positive?
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
2x-2y=1 --> x=y+\frac{1}{2}
\frac{x}{y}>1 --> \frac{x-y}{y}>0 --> substitute x --> \frac{1}{y}>0 --> y is positive, and as x=y+\frac{1}{2}, x is positive too. Sufficient.

Answer: C.




Hi Bunuel

Can you please explain this solution again . I am finding it hard to understand why x = y + 1/2 is insufficient and also why c is the answer

Regards
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1185
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 147

Kudos [?]: 917 [0], given: 875

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 20:49
Expert's post
DivyanshuRohatgi wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
4. Are x and y both positive?
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1


Hi Bunuel

Can you please explain this solution again . I am finding it hard to understand why x = y + 1/2 is insufficient and also why c is the answer

Regards


In the equation x = y + \frac{1}{2}, there are two variables. Here

Case I :- if Y is positive then x would also be positive.

but if Y is negative then we can not say for sure what sign would X take.

Case II :- if y = -\frac{1}{4} then x would be \frac{1}{4}(positive)

Case III :- y = -100 then x would be -99.5.

We got three different answers so this statement is obviously insufficient. It is useful to remember important property of equations that 1) to get the value of 2 variables, we need 2 equations 2) To get the value of 3 variables, we need 3 equations 3) To get the value of n variables, we need n equations.


Hope that helps!
_________________

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.


Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2013
Posts: 9
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 04:00
I get super confused in solving the below kind of inequalities.
Can some expert help?

Are the below working's correct?

1/| n | >n
• Case 1: n > 0… n 2 < 1… - 1 < n < 1
• Case 2: n < 0… - n 2 < 1… n 2 > -1…

x/| x | < x
• Case 1: x > 0… x^2 > x… as x > 0, divide by x without changing signs… x > 1
• Case 2: x < 0… - x^2 > x… as x < 0, divide and only flip sign… - x < 1… x > -1
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 19

CAT Tests
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 08:00
Bunuel wrote:
11. Is |x+y|>|x-y|?
(1) |x| > |y|
(2) |x-y| < |x|

To answer this question you should visualize it. We have comparison of two absolute values. Ask yourself when |x+y| is more then than |x-y|? If and only when x and y have the same sign absolute value of x+y will always be more than absolute value of x-y. As x+y when they have the same sign will contribute to each other and x-y will not.

5+3=8 and 5-3=2
OR -5-3=-8 and -5-(-3)=-2.

So if we could somehow conclude that x and y have the same sign or not we would be able to answer the question.

(1) |x| > |y|, this tell us nothing about the signs of x and y. Not sufficient.

(2) |x-y| < |x|, says that the distance between x and y is less than distance between x and origin. This can only happen when x and y have the same sign, when they are both positive or both negative, when they are at the same side from the origin. Sufficient. (Note that vise-versa is not right, meaning that x and y can have the same sign but |x| can be less than |x-y|, but if |x|>|x-y| the only possibility is x and y to have the same sign.)

Answer: B.




Hi,

I didnt quite understand this part "(2) |x-y| < |x|, says that the distance between x and y is less than distance between x and origin. This can only happen when x and y have the same sign, when they are both positive or both negative, when they are at the same side from the origin."

what in the second equation tells us that they both have to be the same sign?

Thanks :)
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23482
Followers: 3502

Kudos [?]: 26454 [0], given: 2712

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 08:37
Expert's post
anishasjkaul wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
11. Is |x+y|>|x-y|?
(1) |x| > |y|
(2) |x-y| < |x|

To answer this question you should visualize it. We have comparison of two absolute values. Ask yourself when |x+y| is more then than |x-y|? If and only when x and y have the same sign absolute value of x+y will always be more than absolute value of x-y. As x+y when they have the same sign will contribute to each other and x-y will not.

5+3=8 and 5-3=2
OR -5-3=-8 and -5-(-3)=-2.

So if we could somehow conclude that x and y have the same sign or not we would be able to answer the question.

(1) |x| > |y|, this tell us nothing about the signs of x and y. Not sufficient.

(2) |x-y| < |x|, says that the distance between x and y is less than distance between x and origin. This can only happen when x and y have the same sign, when they are both positive or both negative, when they are at the same side from the origin. Sufficient. (Note that vise-versa is not right, meaning that x and y can have the same sign but |x| can be less than |x-y|, but if |x|>|x-y| the only possibility is x and y to have the same sign.)

Answer: B.




Hi,

I didnt quite understand this part "(2) |x-y| < |x|, says that the distance between x and y is less than distance between x and origin. This can only happen when x and y have the same sign, when they are both positive or both negative, when they are at the same side from the origin."

what in the second equation tells us that they both have to be the same sign?

Thanks :)


If x and y have the opposite signs: ---x---0---y---- the distance between the origin and x will always be less than x and y.

Hope it helps.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 04:58
Can someone please help me with this?
Does x = y ?
(1) | x | = | y |
(2) X^2 = Y^ 2
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23482
Followers: 3502

Kudos [?]: 26454 [0], given: 2712

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 05:02
Expert's post
madhavishrestha007 wrote:
Can someone please help me with this?
Does x = y ?
(1) | x | = | y |
(2) X^2 = Y^ 2


This question is discussed here: does-x-y-1-x-2-y-2-2-x-y-132201.html

Hope it helps.

P.S. Please post new questions in separate topics. Also, please rad and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Thank you.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 269
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 29

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 05:12
For question 1:
6xy=x^2*y+9y
Cancel 'y' to get
x^2-6x+9=0
Simplify to get x=3
S1 gives y-x=3
Y=6; we get xy=18.
Suff.

S2 doesn't satisfy x=3.
Option A.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 269
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 29

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 05:24
For question 2
Option D.
From S1:x<0 or x=-ve
If x is -ve,y=|x|+x will always be zero.Hence suff.

From S2:y<1.
y can NEVER BE -ve because if x is -ve y=0 as proved above.And if x is +ve y=2x which is +ve.We are given y<1 so only possibility is y=0.Suff.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23482
Followers: 3502

Kudos [?]: 26454 [0], given: 2712

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 07:41
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
NS13983 wrote:
I get super confused in solving the below kind of inequalities.
Can some expert help?

Are the below working's correct?

1/| n | >n
• Case 1: n > 0… n 2 < 1… - 1 < n < 1
• Case 2: n < 0… - n 2 < 1… n 2 > -1…

x/| x | < x
• Case 1: x > 0… x^2 > x… as x > 0, divide by x without changing signs… x > 1
• Case 2: x < 0… - x^2 > x… as x < 0, divide and only flip sign… - x < 1… x > -1


1. \frac{1}{| n |}>n --> multiply by |n| (we can safely do that since |n|>0): n*|n| < 1.

If n>0, then we'll have n^2<1 --> -1<n<1. Since we consider the range when n>0, then for this range we'll have 0<n<1.
If n<0, then we'll have -n^2<1 --> n^2>-1. Which is true for any n from the range we consider. So, n*|n| < 1 holds true for any negative value of n.

Thus \frac{1}{| n |}>n holds true if n<0 and 0<n<1.

2. \frac{x}{|x|} < x.

If x>0, then we'll have \frac{x}{x} < x --> 1<x.
If x<0, then we'll have \frac{x}{-x} < x --> -1<x and as we considering the range for which x<0 then completer range would be: -1<x<0.

Thus \frac{x}{|x|} < x holds true if -1<x<0 or x>1.

Hope it helps.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2013
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 27

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 06:04
Bunuel wrote:
10. If n is not equal to 0, is |n| < 4 ?
(1) n^2 > 16
(2) 1/|n| > n

Question basically asks is -4<n<4 true.

(1) n^2>16 --> n>4 or n<-4, the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

(2) 1/|n| > n, this is true for all negative values of n, hence we can not answer the question. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.


Bunuel, the second statement signifies that n is true for all values less than "1". For example, n=0.5 --> 1/.5>.5 --> 2> .5 (True)
Am i correct here..
Anyways , the answer still remains the same A
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23482
Followers: 3502

Kudos [?]: 26454 [0], given: 2712

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 06:17
Expert's post
amksameer wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
10. If n is not equal to 0, is |n| < 4 ?
(1) n^2 > 16
(2) 1/|n| > n

Question basically asks is -4<n<4 true.

(1) n^2>16 --> n>4 or n<-4, the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

(2) 1/|n| > n, this is true for all negative values of n, hence we can not answer the question. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.


Bunuel, the second statement signifies that n is true for all values less than "1". For example, n=0.5 --> 1/.5>.5 --> 2> .5 (True)
Am i correct here..
Anyways , the answer still remains the same A


It holds true for any number less than 1 except 0.

Check here: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-280.html#p1339642
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2013
Posts: 66
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 27

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 23:16
Bunuel wrote:
7. |x+2|=|y+2| what is the value of x+y?
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

This one is quite interesting.

First note that |x+2|=|y+2| can take only two possible forms:

A. x+2=y+2 --> x=y. This will occur if and only x and y are both >= than -2 OR both <= than -2. In that case x=y. Which means that their product will always be positive or zero when x=y=0.
B. x+2=-y-2 --> x+y=-4. This will occur when either x or y is less then -2 and the other is more than -2.

When we have scenario A, xy will be nonnegative only. Hence if xy is negative we have scenario B and x+y=-4. Also note that vise-versa is not right. Meaning that we can have scenario B and xy may be positive as well as negative.

(1) xy<0 --> We have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

(2) x>2 and y<2, x is not equal to y, we don't have scenario A, hence we have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

Answer: D.


Dear Bunnel

I am unable to understand the red highlighted portion.
how i understood as was
|x+2|=|y+2| means that both side have to be positive..

case 1: x=y (same sign for both or 0)
case 2: x+y = -4 (1 has to be positive or even when both are negative)

my problem is i get confused here... please explain some Mod inequalities..
_________________

Hope to clear it this time!!
GMAT 1: 540
Preparing again :(

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23482
Followers: 3502

Kudos [?]: 26454 [0], given: 2712

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 02:25
Expert's post
nandinigaur wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
7. |x+2|=|y+2| what is the value of x+y?
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

This one is quite interesting.

First note that |x+2|=|y+2| can take only two possible forms:

A. x+2=y+2 --> x=y. This will occur if and only x and y are both >= than -2 OR both <= than -2. In that case x=y. Which means that their product will always be positive or zero when x=y=0.
B. x+2=-y-2 --> x+y=-4. This will occur when either x or y is less then -2 and the other is more than -2.

When we have scenario A, xy will be nonnegative only. Hence if xy is negative we have scenario B and x+y=-4. Also note that vise-versa is not right. Meaning that we can have scenario B and xy may be positive as well as negative.

(1) xy<0 --> We have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

(2) x>2 and y<2, x is not equal to y, we don't have scenario A, hence we have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

Answer: D.


Dear Bunnel

I am unable to understand the red highlighted portion.
how i understood as was
|x+2|=|y+2| means that both side have to be positive..

case 1: x=y (same sign for both or 0)
case 2: x+y = -4 (1 has to be positive or even when both are negative)

my problem is i get confused here... please explain some Mod inequalities..


Please check easier solution here: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939-160.html#p1111747
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 304
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 106

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 01:47
Bunuel wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a --> x^2+2xy+y^2=9a. Clearly insufficient.

(2) (x – y)^2 = a --> x^2-2xy+y^2=a. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Add them up 2(x^2+y^2)=10a --> x^2+y^2=5a. Also insufficient as x,y, and a could be 0 and x^2 + y^2 > 4a won't be true, as LHS and RHS would be in that case equal to zero. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.


Is this also a right way to solve this:
x^2+2xy+y^2=9a --> If we have to find x^2 + y^2 > 4a we should know whether 2xy>5a or 2xy<5a...No info on this.Hence Insuff
x^2-2xy+y^2=a---> If we have to find x^2 + y^2 > 4a we should know whether 2xy>3a or 2xy<3a...No info..Hence Insuff

Combining both..we still dont know as both the cases are possible and hence E..

Bunuel Please Confirm..
_________________

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23482
Followers: 3502

Kudos [?]: 26454 [0], given: 2712

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 01:57
Expert's post
JusTLucK04 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a --> x^2+2xy+y^2=9a. Clearly insufficient.

(2) (x – y)^2 = a --> x^2-2xy+y^2=a. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Add them up 2(x^2+y^2)=10a --> x^2+y^2=5a. Also insufficient as x,y, and a could be 0 and x^2 + y^2 > 4a won't be true, as LHS and RHS would be in that case equal to zero. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.


Is this also a right way to solve this:
x^2+2xy+y^2=9a --> If we have to find x^2 + y^2 > 4a we should know whether 2xy>5a or 2xy<5a...No info on this.Hence Insuff
x^2-2xy+y^2=a---> If we have to find x^2 + y^2 > 4a we should know whether 2xy>3a or 2xy<3a...No info..Hence Insuff

Combining both..we still dont know as both the cases are possible and hence E..

Bunuel Please Confirm..


Yes, the question from (1) becomes: is 2xy < 5a and from (2) it becomes: is 2xy > 3a. So, when we combine the question becomes is 3a < 2xy < 5a. It's unclear how you deduced that we cannot answer that question without plugging values.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 304
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 106

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 02:05
Bunuel wrote:
9. Is n<0?
(1) -n=|-n|
(2) n^2=16

(1) -n=|-n|, means that either n is negative OR n equals to zero. We are asked whether n is negative so we can not be sure. Not sufficient.

(2) n^2=16 --> n=4 or n=-4. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) n is negative OR n equals to zero from (1), n is 4 or -4 from (2). --> n=-4, hence it's negative, sufficient.

Answer: C.

I see that all my incorrect answers were because of not considering the zero case..Is this really so frequently tested on the GMAT..Or is just to make tricky practice questions
_________________

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 304
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 106

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 02:09
Bunuel wrote:
JusTLucK04 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a --> x^2+2xy+y^2=9a. Clearly insufficient.

(2) (x – y)^2 = a --> x^2-2xy+y^2=a. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Add them up 2(x^2+y^2)=10a --> x^2+y^2=5a. Also insufficient as x,y, and a could be 0 and x^2 + y^2 > 4a won't be true, as LHS and RHS would be in that case equal to zero. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.


Is this also a right way to solve this:
x^2+2xy+y^2=9a --> If we have to find x^2 + y^2 > 4a we should know whether 2xy>5a or 2xy<5a...No info on this.Hence Insuff
x^2-2xy+y^2=a---> If we have to find x^2 + y^2 > 4a we should know whether 2xy>3a or 2xy<3a...No info..Hence Insuff

Combining both..we still dont know as both the cases are possible and hence E..

Bunuel Please Confirm..


Yes, the question from (1) becomes: is 2xy < 5a and from (2) it becomes: is 2xy > 3a. So, when we combine the question becomes is 3a < 2xy < 5a. It's unclear how you deduced that we cannot answer that question without plugging values.


I mean.. you do not have any restriction on x,y,a being a integer..So it seems that multiple values of x & y such that 2xy is both greater than and less than 4a are possible
Is this the right approach..or should I stick to yours..?
_________________

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23482
Followers: 3502

Kudos [?]: 26454 [0], given: 2712

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 03:39
Expert's post
JusTLucK04 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
9. Is n<0?
(1) -n=|-n|
(2) n^2=16

(1) -n=|-n|, means that either n is negative OR n equals to zero. We are asked whether n is negative so we can not be sure. Not sufficient.

(2) n^2=16 --> n=4 or n=-4. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) n is negative OR n equals to zero from (1), n is 4 or -4 from (2). --> n=-4, hence it's negative, sufficient.

Answer: C.

I see that all my incorrect answers were because of not considering the zero case..Is this really so frequently tested on the GMAT..Or is just to make tricky practice questions


It's a common GMAT trap.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection   [#permalink] 20 May 2014, 03:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Inequalities and Absolute value Question Bank gmatsheeba 0 18 Sep 2013, 05:59
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Good Inequality with absolute value question u0422811 3 22 May 2011, 19:32
1 Inequality involving absolute values english_august 5 08 Nov 2007, 16:14
Inequality and absolute values Futuristic 4 25 Jun 2006, 16:08
Another DS from GMATPrep -- Absolute Value Inequalities lackeym77 7 10 May 2006, 14:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16    Next  [ 317 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.