Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618842 [1177]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q48  V33
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618842 [0]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618842 [1]
Send PM
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
logan wrote:
hey Bunuel!! first i would like to thank you for posting such wonderful questions..

regarding a question that you posted above, i got a small doubt..

|x+2|=|y+2|
so lets say |x+2|=|y+2|=k (some 'k')

now |x+2|=k =====> x+2=+/- k
and x+2= +k, iff x>-2
x+2= -k, iff x<-2

also we have |y+2|=k =====> y+2=+/- k
and y+2= +k, iff y>-2
y+2= -k, iff y<-2

so x+2=y+2 ===> x=y , iff (x>-2 and y>-2) or (x<-2 and y<-2)--------eq1
and x+y=-4, iff (x<-2 and y>-2) or (x>-2 and y<-2)-------------------eq2

now coming to the options,
1) xy<0 i.e., (x=-ve and y=+ve) or (x=+ve and y=-ve)
(x=-ve and y=+ve): this also means that x and y can have values, x=-1 and y= some +ve value. so eq2 cannot be applied, x+y#-4. if x=-3 and y=some +ve value, x+y=-4. two cases. data insuff.
(x=+ve and y=-ve): this also means that x and y can have values, x=+ve value and y=-1.so eq2 cannot be applied, x+y#-4. if x=some +ve value and y=-3, x+y=-4. two cases. data insuff.

2)x>2,y>2 for this option too we cannot judge the value of x+y, with the limits of x and y being different in the question and the answer stem. so data insuff.

so i have a doubt that, why the answer cannot be E??

plz point out if i made any mistake..

Hi, Logan. Good way of thinking. Though I think that your solution is not correct.

Consider this:

We have |x+2|=|y+2|

(1) xy<0, hence x and y have opposite signs. Let's take x negative and y positive (obviously it doesn't matter which one we pick as equation is symmetric).

If y is positive RHS |y+2| will be positive as well and we can expend it as |y+2|=y+2.

Now for |x+2| we can have to cases:
A. -2<x<0 --> |x+2|=x+2=y+2 --> x=y. BUT: it's not valid solution as x and y have opposite signs and they can not be equal to each other.

B. x<=-2 --> |x+2|=-x-2=y+2 --> x+y=-4. Already clear and sufficient.

If we go one step further to see for which x and y is this solution is valid, we'll get:
As x+y=-4, x<=-2 and y>0 --> x must be <-4. If you substitute values of x<-4 you'll receive the values of y>0 and their sum will always be -4.

The same approach works for (2) as well.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1816 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
7. |x+2|=|y+2| what is the value of x+y?
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

This one is quite interesting.

Quote:
First note that |x+2|=|y+2| can take only two possible forms:

A. x+2=y+2 --> x=y. This will occur if and only x and y are both >= than -2 OR both <= than -2. In that case x=y. Which means that their product will always be positive or zero when x=y=-2.
B. x+2=-y-2 --> x+y=-4. This will occur when either x or y is less then -2 and the other is more than -2.

When we have scenario A, xy will be positive only. Hence if xy is not positive we have scenario B and x+y=-4. Also note that vise-versa is not right. Meaning that we can have scenario B and xy may be positive as well as negative.

(1) xy<0 --> We have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

(2) x>2 and y<2, x is not equal to y, we don't have scenario A, hence we have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Wonderful question, I solved it up to an extent but in reasoning I messed up.
Question for the quoted part which talks about the scenarios to reducing to two scenarios. I can think and verfy also though the validity of it, but want to drill further and understand how could we generalise this scenario if we could ?

Like what if |x+3|=|X-2| or |x+3|=|X-2| + |X+4| etc , just crude examples I have put , How could we generalise such scenarios ? instead of imagining six scenarios or more .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1816 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
12. Is r=s?
(1) -s<=r<=s
(2) |r|>=s

This one is tough.

(1) -s<=r<=s, we can conclude two things from this statement:
A. s is either positive or zero, as -s<=s;
B. r is in the range (-s,s) inclusive, meaning that r can be -s as well as s.
But we don't know whether r=s or not. Not sufficient.

(2) |r|>=s, clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) -s<=r<=s, s is not negative, |r|>=s --> r>=s or r<=-s. This doesn't imply that r=s, from this r can be -s as well.
Consider: s=5, r=5 --> -5<=5<=5 |5|>=5
s=5, r=-5 --> -5<=-5<=5 |-5|>=5
Both statements are true with these values. Hence insufficient.

Answer: E.

Quote:

How do you conclude A here can't make out or I am tired.; anyways, it is mental marathon :) .. wonderful questions Bunuel. Any more link for inequality as I need some more practise .
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
How do you conclude A here can't make out or I am tired.; anyways, it is mental marathon :) .. wonderful questions Bunuel. Any more link for inequality as I need some more practise .

We have \(-s<=r<=s\) --> \(-s<=s\). Now if \(s\) in negative, let's say \(-2\), then we would have \(-(-2)<=-2\) --> \(2<=-2\), which is not right. Hence \(s\) can not be negative. But \(s\) can be zero --> \(0<=0\), true.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
7. |x+2|=|y+2| what is the value of x+y?
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

This one is quite interesting.

Quote:
First note that |x+2|=|y+2| can take only two possible forms:

A. x+2=y+2 --> x=y. This will occur if and only x and y are both >= than -2 OR both <= than -2. In that case x=y. Which means that their product will always be positive or zero when x=y=-2.
B. x+2=-y-2 --> x+y=-4. This will occur when either x or y is less then -2 and the other is more than -2.

When we have scenario A, xy will be positive only. Hence if xy is not positive we have scenario B and x+y=-4. Also note that vise-versa is not right. Meaning that we can have scenario B and xy may be positive as well as negative.

(1) xy<0 --> We have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

(2) x>2 and y<2, x is not equal to y, we don't have scenario A, hence we have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Wonderful question, I solved it up to an extent but in reasoning I messed up.
Question for the quoted part which talks about the scenarios to reducing to two scenarios. I can think and verfy also though the validity of it, but want to drill further and understand how could we generalise this scenario if we could ?

Like what if |x+3|=|X-2| or |x+3|=|X-2| + |X+4| etc , just crude examples I have put , How could we generalise such scenarios ? instead of imagining six scenarios or more .

We can count the # of scenarios for the above examples as well, but as in these examples there is only one variable we can directly solve them using the ranges, so no need to use the approach we used in solving the original question.

|x+3|=|x-2|, two check points -3 and 2, thus we'll have three ranges in which we should expand the absolute values:

A. x<-3 --> -(x+3)=-(x-2) --> -3=2, which is not true, hence in this range we have no solution;
B. -3<=x<=2 --> x+3=-(x-2) --> x=-1/2, which IS in the range we are expanding so it's a valid solution;
C. x>2 --> x+3=x+2 --> 3=2, which is not true, hence in this range we have no solution.

The equation |x+3|=|x-2| has only one solution x=-1/2. If you look at the scenarios A,B and C you'll see that |x+3|=|x-2| can take also only TWO forms x+3=x+2 or x+3=-(x-2), but the ranges are important here and we should consider these forms in their respective ranges.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 555 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
logan wrote:
xyztroy wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
3. Is x^2 + y^2 > 4a?
(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a
(2) (x – y)^2 = a

(1) (x + y)^2 = 9a --> x^2+2xy+y^2=9a. Clearly insufficient.

(2) (x – y)^2 = a --> x^2-2xy+y^2=a. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Add them up 2(x^2+y^2)=10a --> x^2+y^2=5a. Also insufficient as x,y, and a could be 0 and x^2 + y^2 > 4a won't be true, as LHS and RHS would be in that case equal to zero. Not sufficient.

Hi Bunuel,

I kind of disagree with your conclusion when you combined both the stmts. If x,y, and a all are 0 then the actual question (x^2+y^2 > 4a) itself will become whether 0 > 0 ?....so I would say that the answer should be C.

hi xyztroy,

i think i can answer ur question.

in question, no limits for x and y are given, like x&y are integers or x&y are real numbers. so x and y can assume any values, including 0. but we have to conclusively show that (x^2+y^2 > 4a).
as you see, 1&2 are individually insufficient.
combining 1&2 we have (x^2+y^2 = 5a), which is definitely greater than 4a. when you substitute values for x,y and a, all values of x,y and a which satisfy (x^2+y^2 = 5a) also satisfies (x^2+y^2 > 4a), except the values x=y=a=0. so two cases arise.
hence insufficient.

answer:E

I think, when statements are given we have to answer whether based on statements given question can be answered, we should not question the validity of statements or a statements derived form the statements.
after deriving from statement 1 and 2 we deduce that x^2+y^2 =5a, this is enough to show that the question asked x^2+y^2>4a is satisfied. we are not supposed to validate whether statement x^2+y^2 =5a holds.
if u try to put x,y as 0 then just ask your self what question is trying to ask?
is 0>0.
so answer has to be C
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
sandeep25398 wrote:
logan wrote:
xyztroy wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

I kind of disagree with your conclusion when you combined both the stmts. If x,y, and a all are 0 then the actual question (x^2+y^2 > 4a) itself will become whether 0 > 0 ?....so I would say that the answer should be C.

hi xyztroy,

i think i can answer ur question.

in question, no limits for x and y are given, like x&y are integers or x&y are real numbers. so x and y can assume any values, including 0. but we have to conclusively show that (x^2+y^2 > 4a).
as you see, 1&2 are individually insufficient.
combining 1&2 we have (x^2+y^2 = 5a), which is definitely greater than 4a. when you substitute values for x,y and a, all values of x,y and a which satisfy (x^2+y^2 = 5a) also satisfies (x^2+y^2 > 4a), except the values x=y=a=0. so two cases arise.
hence insufficient.

answer:E

I think, when statements are given we have to answer whether based on statements given question can be answered, we should not question the validity of statements or a statements derived form the statements.
after deriving from statement 1 and 2 we deduce that x^2+y^2 =5a, this is enough to show that the question asked x^2+y^2>4a is satisfied. we are not supposed to validate whether statement x^2+y^2 =5a holds.
if u try to put x,y as 0 then just ask your self what question is trying to ask?
is 0>0.
so answer has to be C

Is \(x^2 + y^2 > 4a\)?
(1) \((x+y)^2 = 9a\)
(2) \((x-y)^2 = a\)

Consider two cases:

1. \(x=2\), \(y=1\) and \(a=1\). These values satisfy both statements and the answer to the question "is \(x^2+y^2>4a\) true" is YES, as \(5>4\) is true. (Note here that these values naturally satisfy \(x^2+y^2=5a\) too)

2. \(x=0\), \(y=0\) and \(a=0\). These values ALSO satisfy both statements and the answer to the question "is \(x^2+y^2>4a\) true" is NO, as LHS is \(0\), RHS is also \(0\) and \(0>0\) is NOT TRUE. (Note here that these values naturally satisfy \(x^2+y^2=5a\) too)

Two different answers. Not sufficient.

So question is not asking whether \(0>0\). Question is asking whether "\(x^2+y^2>4a\) true". We got that for smoe values YES and for some values NO.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
GMATMadeeasy wrote:

We have \(-s<=r<=s\) --> \(-s<=s\). Now if \(s\) in negative, let's say \(-2\), then we would have \(-(-2)<=-2\) --> \(2<=-2\), which is not right. Hence \(s\) can not be negative. But \(s\) can be zero --> \(0<=0\), true.

You can't write it this way. -s<=r<=s means that either r lies between s & -s or r is equal to -s or r can be equal to s. But this certainly doesn't mean that you can equate -s<=s.

If I say that -4<=x<=4. This doesn't mean that I can write -4<=4.

But in any case the answer you've arrived at is correct. We can't derive anything out of the first statement as it says that -s<=r<=s. r can be anything -s or s or between -s & s.

Second says that lrl>=s ---> r>=s or r<=-s. This again is not giving any specific value.

If we combine the two we get that either r=s or r=-s. This is closer but still ambiguous. So we don't know whether r=s. Therefore, answer is E.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
honeyrai wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
GMATMadeeasy wrote:

You can't write it this way. -s<=r<=s means that either r lies between s & -s or r is equal to -s or r can be equal to s. But this certainly doesn't mean that you can equate -s<=s.

If I say that -4<=x<=4. This doesn't mean that I can write -4<=4.

But in any case the answer you've arrived at is correct. We can't derive anything out of the first statement as it says that -s<=r<=s. r can be anything -s or s or between -s & s.

First of all: you are excluding the possibility when -s=r=s=0.

-s<=r<=s, so -s can be equal to s, when s=0. In all other cases -s will be less than s, so there is nothing wrong in writing this as -s<=s.

Second of all: we CAN conclude one more thing from this statement: s is either positive or zero.

Here is what I wrote in my solution from page 3:

B. r is in the range (-s,s) inclusive, meaning that r can be -s as well as s.
But we don't know whether r=s or not. Not sufficient.

(2) |r|>=s, clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) -s<=r<=s, s is not negative, |r|>=s --> r>=s or r<=-s. This doesn't imply that r=s, from this r can be -s as well.
Consider: s=5, r=5 --> -5<=5<=5 |5|>=5
s=5, r=-5 --> -5<=-5<=5 |-5|>=5
Both statements are true with these values. Hence insufficient.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
sriharimurthy wrote:
Quote:
13. Is |x-1| < 1?
(1) (x-1)^2 <= 1
(2) x^2 - 1 > 0

Question Stem : Is |x-1| < 1 ?
When x > 1 ; x - 1 < 1 ; x < 2.
When x < 1 ; -x + 1 < 1 ; x > 0.
Thus it can be written as : 0 < x < 2.

St. (1) : (x-1)^2 <= 1
x^2 + 1 - 2x <= 1
x^2 - 2x <= 0
x(x - 2) <= 0 ; Thus boundary values are 0 and 2.
Therefore statement can be written as : 0 <= x <= 2.
Since the values are inclusive of 0 and 2, it cannot give us the answer.
Insufficient.

St. (2) : x^2 - 1 > 0
(x + 1)*(x - 1) > 0
Statement can be written as x > 1 and x < -1.
Thus it is possible for x to hold values which make the question stem true as well as false.
Insufficient.

St. (1) and (2) : 0 <= x <= 2 ; x > 1 and x < -1
Thus combined, the statements become : 1 < x <= 2.
Since it is inclusive of 2, it will give us conflicting solutions for the question stem.
Hence Insufficient.

Answer : E

How do u get these boundary values. Looking at the equation, I solved it as x(x-2)<=0.... which gives x<=0 or x<=2... I know this isnt correct but can u let me know how u got... x>=0 & x <=2... Thanks :oops:
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618842 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jeeteshsingh wrote:
sriharimurthy wrote:
Quote:
13. Is |x-1| < 1?
(1) (x-1)^2 <= 1
(2) x^2 - 1 > 0

Question Stem : Is |x-1| < 1 ?
When x > 1 ; x - 1 < 1 ; x < 2.
When x < 1 ; -x + 1 < 1 ; x > 0.
Thus it can be written as : 0 < x < 2.

St. (1) : (x-1)^2 <= 1
x^2 + 1 - 2x <= 1
x^2 - 2x <= 0
x(x - 2) <= 0 ; Thus boundary values are 0 and 2.
Therefore statement can be written as : 0 <= x <= 2.
Since the values are inclusive of 0 and 2, it cannot give us the answer.
Insufficient.

St. (2) : x^2 - 1 > 0
(x + 1)*(x - 1) > 0
Statement can be written as x > 1 and x < -1.
Thus it is possible for x to hold values which make the question stem true as well as false.
Insufficient.

St. (1) and (2) : 0 <= x <= 2 ; x > 1 and x < -1
Thus combined, the statements become : 1 < x <= 2.
Since it is inclusive of 2, it will give us conflicting solutions for the question stem.
Hence Insufficient.

Answer : E

How do u get these boundary values. Looking at the equation, I solved it as x(x-2)<=0.... which gives x<=0 or x<=2... I know this isnt correct but can u let me know how u got... x>=0 & x <=2... Thanks :oops:

"Boundary values" are the roots of the equation \(x(x-2)=0\) --> \(x=0\) and \(x=2\).

I use "parabola approach" for this kind of quadratic inequalities. Basically as \(x(x-2)=0\) is an equation of upward parabola, \(x(x-2)\leq{0}\) (\(x^2-2x\leq{0}\)) is the part of the parabola, which does not lie above the X-axis. Parabola \(x(x-2)\leq{0}\) does not lie above the X-axis for the values of x in the range \(0\leq{x}\leq{2}\). If you plug the values from this range you'll see that inequality, \(x(x-2)\leq{0}\), holds true for them.

Consider inequality \((x-3)(x-7)>{0}\) (or \(x^2-10x+21>0\)). This is also upward parabola (as the coefficient of x^2 is positive), with boundary values \(x=3\) and \(x=7\). We want to determine for which value of x, this parabola is above (as we have > sign) the X-axis. The answer would be \(x<3\) and \(x>7\).

OR:

\((7+x)(3-x)>0\) (or \(-x^2-4x+21>0\)), this would be downward parabola, with boundary values \(x=-7\) and \(x=3\). This parabola lies above the X-axis for \(-7<x<3\). We can also write this as \(x^2+4x-21<0\) (or \((7+x)(x-3)<0\)), this would be upward parabola, with the same boundary values: \(x=-7\) and \(x=3\). This parabola lies below the X-axis for \(-7<x<3\), the same range as it should be.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
 Q36  V31 GMAT 2: 730  Q48  V42
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
5. What is the value of y?
(1) 3|x^2 -4| = y - 2
(2) |3 - y| = 11

(1) As we are asked to find the value of y, from this statement we can conclude only that y>=2, as LHS is absolute value which is never negative, hence RHS als can not be negative. Not sufficient.

(2) |3 - y| = 11:

y<3 --> 3-y=11 --> y=-8
y>=3 --> -3+y=11 --> y=14

Two values for y. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) y>=2, hence y=14. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Bunuel,

Thanks so much for all these questions and explanations!

I'm having troubles to understand the quoted question. I don't understand your explanation for statement 1, it seems like a great way to solve this problem quickly but I really just don't understand how you get there.

From this 3|x^2 -4| = y - 2 how can you conclude that y must be >=2 ?

Thx for the help!
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
nifoui wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
5. What is the value of y?
(1) 3|x^2 -4| = y - 2
(2) |3 - y| = 11

(1) As we are asked to find the value of y, from this statement we can conclude only that y>=2, as LHS is absolute value which is never negative, hence RHS als can not be negative. Not sufficient.

(2) |3 - y| = 11:

y<3 --> 3-y=11 --> y=-8
y>=3 --> -3+y=11 --> y=14

Two values for y. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) y>=2, hence y=14. Sufficient.

Bunuel,

Thanks so much for all these questions and explanations!

I'm having troubles to understand the quoted question. I don't understand your explanation for statement 1, it seems like a great way to solve this problem quickly but I really just don't understand how you get there.

From this 3|x^2 -4| = y - 2 how can you conclude that y must be >=2 ?

Thx for the help!

\(3|x^2 -4| = y - 2\) --> Left hand side (LHS) is an expression with absolute value, absolute value is never negative (\(|expression|\geq{0}\)) --> \(3|x^2-4|\geq{0}\). So as \(LHS\geq{0}\), then RHS also must be more than zero (\(RHS\geq{0}\)) --> \(y-2\geq{0}\) --> \(y\geq{2}\).

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
4. Are x and y both positive?
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
\(2x-2y=1\) --> \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\)
\(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> \(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\) --> substitute x --> \(\frac{1}{y}>0\) --> \(y\) is positive, and as \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\), \(x\) is positive too. Sufficient.

I am a little confused on this one . Can the answer be E??

From A:
2x-2y=1
=> x-y= 0.5 INSF

From B
x/y > 1
=> x > y INSF

From A & B
x-y =0.5 and x > y

If x = -0.5 and y = -1 then
x > y
and x - y = (-0.5) - (-1) = -0.5 + 1 = 0.5
Hence both x and y can be negative