Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Inferring is the last thing you should do.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Inferring is the last thing you should do. [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2013, 17:16
40% of reading comp questions are 'inference' and so it's pretty important to have good skills for this.
The very name 'inference' is completely misleading.
Make no attempt to infer anything. That will lead you to subjective answers, probably incorrect.
Consider: How people infer results, is to a degree dependent on their cultural background. Yet the GMAT is supposedly international. What can you infer from this?

What I am about to say is counter-intuitive, but true. I've tested it with my students.
Read the question and quite simply look in the text for synonyms of key answer words and phrases.
EG: . . . . . . Lady Charteuse lay back on the chaise-longue, and yawned. The gas mantles were turned up too high again. Really, the quality of servants these days! Where the devil could Clarence be? She was hardly able to keep her eyes open.

A . . .
B . . .
C Lady Charteuse had taken sleeping pills.
D Clarence is one of the house servants and is responsible for the gas lamps.
E A chaise-longue is a comfortable chair-bed popularised in the Victorian era.

This is just a crude example I dreamed up to illustrate my point. The correct answer, E, mentions the chaise-longue, and 'chair-bed' is associated with 'lay back', 'yawned', 'hardly keep her eyes open'.
Don't infer. Just look for equivalents. That's it.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Inferring is the last thing you should do. [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 09:43
Expert's post
Mainly Agree here.

In the GMAT RC Inference you do not need to infer very much. In fact, when looking at answer choices for such questions, those that are furthest from the text are wrong.

It is analogous to my walking into a room sweating. Based on that information, can you infer I have been running? No. Can you infer that it is hot outside? Not really. That the heating is up in the room? Nope. All you can infer is that I walked in and am sweating for some reason (in paraphrased words of course). Okay this is simplistic but you get the idea. You should not go too far away from the text and everything should be supported in some way. The easiest way to check this is to divide the answer choice into components and check each one. You will find that one or more of these informational components of a wrong answer choice is missing or the info presented in the text negates it. Try it out with some practice questions. Compare wrong and right answers and ask yourself which is closer to the text? Most of the time you will find the right answer choice parallels the text most closely.

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/GMATTutorEcon
(866) 292-0660

Re: Inferring is the last thing you should do.   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2013, 09:43