Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [160]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [120]
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [13]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Re: Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about [#permalink]
Kudos
Tricky one for me. I chose A, didn’t choose had because wouldn’t that be assuming they aren’t living anymore? Also though did was wrong and semicolon eliminates D and E so A by POE.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [3]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 25 Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.

(A) they still expect to live better than their parents have

(B) they still expect to live better than their parents did

(C) they still expect to live better than their parents had

(D) still expecting to live better than their parents had

(E) still expecting to live better than did their parents

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

The first choice is between A,B,C or D,E concerning the start of the underlined portion.
I will go with the first three option as they make the correct use of the pronoun "they" in this instance.

Now we have to decide between the verb at the end of the underlined section and as we are talking about their parent's life as a past event, we have to use a past form of the respective verb, hence we can eliminate A.

Now that it is down to B and C, try the following;

They expect to do better than their parents did
They expect to have better than their parents have

I am not sure if one can employ this strategy in general or whether it shouldn't be used.

My final choice is B.

Regards,
Chris
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [3]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

In (A), “parents have(lived)…” this means lived only up to this point. In (B), we can see a better comparison. They still expect to live better than their parents did when they were in the same stage as their children are now (B) also maintains parallelism.
In (C), "Parent had..." past perfect tense is incorrect.
After semicolon, only an independent clause can be present. In (D) and (E), "still expecting" is not independent.

Answer should be (B)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [3]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
gmatconqueror2018 wrote:
Tricky one for me. I chose A, didn’t choose had because wouldn’t that be assuming they aren’t living anymore? Also though did was wrong and semicolon eliminates D and E so A by POE.

Posted from my mobile device

gmatconqueror2018 , i think your choice A is wrong because:

The author compares two periods of time - the period of time when parents lived, and the period of time when their childen live and expect a better life.

Another reason A is incorrect is that in this option "have" is used incorrectly, if it were "they still expect to have a better life than the life their parents had " i think in this case it would be correct. so in other words A has parrallism issue coupled with verb tense :)

A option looks like this sentence :) Every snail after drinking alcohol, expects a better speed than a sober snail had.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
[Option A looks like this sentence:]
Every snail after drinking alcohol, expects a better speed than a sober snail had.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is brilliant—probably the funniest example I've read in long time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
Kudos
I still am not sold on this one. Major confusion between A and B

Americans are re evaluating assumptions about the future so they can very well be comparing their living status with that of their parents till the present time

Given the thought of the sentence i would read A as
(A) they still expect to live better than their parents have (lived so far )

B - this option is also an equal contender as mentioned by a fellow friend who gave the drunk snail analogy

i will wait for some enlightenment
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [3]
Given Kudos: 328
Send PM
Kudos
Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could

Comparison error. Americans still expect to live better than their parents expected to live.

IMO is B as "did" correctly refers to "expected to live"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
generis wrote:

Hello guys AndrewN IanStewart
I couldn't decide between A and B. Both looked wrong to me. Did and have could stand for either "expect" or "live". there is some ambiguity in both the options. So, what gave preference to B over A?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
generis wrote:

Hello guys AndrewN IanStewart
I couldn't decide between A and B. Both looked wrong to me. Did and have could stand for either "expect" or "live". there is some ambiguity in both the options. So, what gave preference to B over A?

Hello, pk6969. I cannot see a case being made for ambiguity in the substituted word. You have to pay attention to the comparison, better than: X better than Y. Here, we see live better than, so a comparison in how lives are lived is fitting, not in expectations for how those lives are lived. If you did think the substitute have or did could stand in for expect (in some capacity), though, then (B) wins, hands down. Compare:

A.2) they still expect to live better than their parents [have expected [them to]]

B.2) they still expect to live better than their parents [expected [them to]]

Why would the addition of have be strictly necessary? Are we to assume the parents are still living? Does the sentence provide such clues? If the answer is no, then we cannot justify the presence of have.

On the point of ellipsis and substitution, I would urge you to read the Most Helpful Expert Reply by generis. It is astoundingly detailed and on point, better than I would think to write on the spot. No matter how you choose to interpret the substituted word, (B) remains the safer option.

Thank you for thinking to ask me about the question.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1614
Send PM
Hi,

I have a silly doubt here which can save me from making mistakes such as these- Here, 'they still expect to live better than their parents did'. The non-underlined portion says 'expect to live', nowhere it's mentioned 'expected to live', which is in past tense. So, will it be correct to have past tense in the comparison when the original sentence does not have it mentioned explicitly in past tense?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ankitapugalia wrote:
Hi,

I have a silly doubt here which can save me from making mistakes such as these- Here, 'they still expect to live better than their parents did'. The non-underlined portion says 'expect to live', nowhere it's mentioned 'expected to live', which is in past tense. So, will it be correct to have past tense in the comparison when the original sentence does not have it mentioned explicitly in past tense?

"Did" is a generic replacement verb. So, in this context, "did" is understood to mean "lived."

That said, the construction of the comparison in the (B) version of the sentence is a little loose since "did" replaces "lived" though "lived" is never used.

So, the move here is to see that all of the other versions are clearly illogical and go with the somewhat loose but basically logical (B) version.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts