Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Info needed on Part-time MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Info needed on Part-time MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2006, 05:52
Hi Hjort,

I am just done with my GMAT 710(Q50, V36) and I am looking for some advice on Part-time MBA.

My profie:
Yet another Indian IT Male.
Experience:
6+ years in Semiconductor design and Electronic Design Automation. Of the 6 years, I spent 2 years working in Sales/Application Consulting. Currently working in Wireless Communications technology for a reputed Semiconductor company

Long Term Goal: Transitioning into Market Research/Product Pricing/Sales for emerging markets especially in Wireless Communication space.

Drawback: I am currently in the worst possible location in US - Northwest (Portland) - and cannot move due to Visa issues.

1. What are my choices? Most of the PT MBA programs For e.g, GSB, Kellogg, Stern.. cater to local students only. Are there any good distance MBA programs that are worth considering?
2. Northwest region seems to have only one decent program - University of Washington - but admssions for this year are closed. Should I wait till next year?
3. Babson Fast-track MBA: http://www3.babson.edu/MBA/programs/fasttrack Babson has started a new program in Portland. Don't know if you have ever heard of his program. Any inputs?

Thanks!

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2006, 17:56
Thanks for your message. Portland is one of my favorite cities.

1) I've known quite a few MBA commuters to the major PT programs. I would verify that you need to be local but it would be difficult to reach these programs for Portland. However, there are several great PT programs just a few hours by plane in California.

2) There are few PT programs of national standing in the Northwest. UBC Sauder is perhaps the strongest program in the region but would probably not work well for you.

3) Thanks for alerting me to the Babson program. It is an interesting choice of location for Babson
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 06:42
Thanks for the quick reply Hjort!

I surely like Portland - I am just disappointed that there are no good local MBA programs. I cannot relocate due to Visa issues but I will defenitely explore the commute option.

Thanks for the info on UBC Sauder. I will do some more research.

One last question. Is my profile competitive for reputed Part Time (weekend) programs such as Stern/GSB?

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 18:59
Yes, I think you are competitive for the ultra elite/elite PT programs in the sense that your basic stat.s are in range. I would need to see a much more extensive case for admission including how your background fits in with these schools and what unique attributes you would add to the class.
  [#permalink] 09 Jun 2006, 18:59