Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 18:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 16:29
terp06 wrote:
refurb wrote:
sarzan wrote:
Honestly, I don't know of any hardworking professional who doesn't put in at least 60 hours a week. So why all this fuss about hedge fund guys and IBs working the longest and hardest and having the worst work-life balance?


My old boss probably works ~40 hrs per week (30 some weeks, 50 others) and pulls in just over $200K. I remember some days he came in at 8am and left by 11am.

It's not uncommon in big pharma.

RF


Is this supposed to be impressive?


I am impressed that any job that pays 200k only requires 40hrs a week these days...

Now the real question is, was your comment really necessary?
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 983
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [2] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 17:10
2
This post received
KUDOS
When talking about work/life balance. As someone mentioned earlier, it really should be translated to quality of life. If someone is single, working 100 hours per week in a city they love and in a job they love, their quality of life is high. It's personal, likewise, someone who is very social or close to friends and family would value social time more.
I'm assuming that most people on here don't have children. For me, its a major consideration for quality of life.... It comes down to your personal preference... Do you want to spend more quality trime seeing your career/company grow or your children grow?
The main factor which influences my career choices was when my wife showed me some of the drawings the children in the classes she teaches made. They were asked to draw the most important people in their life... Most of children who had both parents working in IB or some occupation which meant they worked long hours drew a picture of their nannies/domestic helpers. Maybe for them, they don't really care, but that would be heartbreaking for me.
But definitely, once you have children, priorities need re-shuffling. Some people see their legacy as the influence they have on a company. I definitely see my legacy in terms of my genes.

Sure you could retire at 45-55 with a huge wad of cash, and then try to start a family... but it will be more difficult (unless youa re lucky), moreover, the later you start, the increasingly unfair it is on the children, imagine being the only child who had a pensioner for a parent when still at school?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1443
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 17:40
totally agree toga. It is impressive to be able to work 40 hours a week and make 200K.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 18:01
Oh oh, we have a terp26 vs terp06 disagreement :P
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 19:17
terp06 wrote:
refurb wrote:
sarzan wrote:
Honestly, I don't know of any hardworking professional who doesn't put in at least 60 hours a week. So why all this fuss about hedge fund guys and IBs working the longest and hardest and having the worst work-life balance?


My old boss probably works ~40 hrs per week (30 some weeks, 50 others) and pulls in just over $200K. I remember some days he came in at 8am and left by 11am.

It's not uncommon in big pharma.

RF


Is this supposed to be impressive?


It was a response to your comment "I don't know of any hardworking professional who doesn't put in at least 60 hours a week".

I guess you could argue that my boss wasn't "hardworking", but none the less there are jobs out there that pay well and don't require 60 h+ per week.

I wasn't trying to impress anyone with my comment, just providing some prospective.

Don't think he's got it easy, he's recently divorced and his wife is taking HALF. That's more f%^ked up than working 100 hr/week in IB.

RF
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 19:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
togafoot wrote:
When talking about work/life balance. As someone mentioned earlier, it really should be translated to quality of life. If someone is single, working 100 hours per week in a city they love and in a job they love, their quality of life is high. It's personal, likewise, someone who is very social or close to friends and family would value social time more.
I'm assuming that most people on here don't have children. For me, its a major consideration for quality of life.... It comes down to your personal preference... Do you want to spend more quality trime seeing your career/company grow or your children grow?


That pretty much sums it up. You can't rely on someone else to determine your quality of life.

Personally, I'm not getting an MBA for the money, I'm doing it so that I'll have better long-term career opportunities. If I never ate in another restaurant again, I wouldn't miss it. My idea of a good time is sitting outside on a summer evening drinking beer and shooting the shit with good friends. If I never get a chance to visit NYC/Boston/LA again, that's OK with me.

That being said, for all you guys who are aiming for the big paychecks and living the good life (and expensive) life, go for it! If that's what makes you happy then do it. Don't let anyone else tell you that your making the wrong choices. Just because it's not what I want doesn't make it any less important.

RF
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 19:38
refurb wrote:

It was a response to your comment "I don't know of any hardworking professional who doesn't put in at least 60 hours a week".

I guess you could argue that my boss wasn't "hardworking", but none the less there are jobs out there that pay well and don't require 60 h+ per week.

I wasn't trying to impress anyone with my comment, just providing some prospective.

Don't think he's got it easy, he's recently divorced and his wife is taking HALF. That's more f%^ked up than working 100 hr/week in IB.

RF


I'm curious - how long has your boss maintained his position for and how secure does he feel in his career? I suppose that higher-ranking government officials that make $150-200K for working a 40 hour week can feel somewhat secure with their jobs. However, in the corporate world, unless you're adding a significant amount of value in those 40 hours and you're not just a typical middle manager who has a bloated salary due to "seniority" - I would be very worried about job security. The toughest part is that these jobs generally disappear overnight due to restructurings, buyouts, poor stock performance, and a number of other reasons - there is rarely any warning. What do you do when you've spent 20 years at the same company in Toledo, Ohio, your job is pretty much all you know how to do, you've developed a bloated paycheck (likely coming along with the standard mortgaged McMansion and Lexus car payments), and your job disappears overnight? I have no idea how much value your boss adds to your company, and I don't want to make any judgements, but from the basic profile that you mentioned, it very much resembles the "fat" that is cut first from most companies in any sort of restructuring.

Also, I'll admit that I'm young and single and don't have a whole lot of experience with marriages or marital problems - but from what I've seen, many people with demanding careers can make it work and many people with not-so-demanding careers can't make it work. There are way too many other factors at play. I would venture to guess that the divorce rate for Wall Streeters is not significantly higher than the overall American divorce rate.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 19:40
refurb wrote:
togafoot wrote:
When talking about work/life balance. As someone mentioned earlier, it really should be translated to quality of life. If someone is single, working 100 hours per week in a city they love and in a job they love, their quality of life is high. It's personal, likewise, someone who is very social or close to friends and family would value social time more.
I'm assuming that most people on here don't have children. For me, its a major consideration for quality of life.... It comes down to your personal preference... Do you want to spend more quality trime seeing your career/company grow or your children grow?


That pretty much sums it up. You can't rely on someone else to determine your quality of life.

Personally, I'm not getting an MBA for the money, I'm doing it so that I'll have better long-term career opportunities. If I never ate in another restaurant again, I wouldn't miss it. My idea of a good time is sitting outside on a summer evening drinking beer and shooting the shit with good friends. If I never get a chance to visit NYC/Boston/LA again, that's OK with me.

That being said, for all you guys who are aiming for the big paychecks and living the good life (and expensive) life, go for it! If that's what makes you happy then do it. Don't let anyone else tell you that your making the wrong choices. Just because it's not what I want doesn't make it any less important.

RF


I think that comment is a great conclusion to this thread
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 19:58
togafoot wrote:
When talking about work/life balance. As someone mentioned earlier, it really should be translated to quality of life. If someone is single, working 100 hours per week in a city they love and in a job they love, their quality of life is high. It's personal, likewise, someone who is very social or close to friends and family would value social time more.
I'm assuming that most people on here don't have children. For me, its a major consideration for quality of life.... It comes down to your personal preference... Do you want to spend more quality trime seeing your career/company grow or your children grow?
The main factor which influences my career choices was when my wife showed me some of the drawings the children in the classes she teaches made. They were asked to draw the most important people in their life... Most of children who had both parents working in IB or some occupation which meant they worked long hours drew a picture of their nannies/domestic helpers. Maybe for them, they don't really care, but that would be heartbreaking for me.
But definitely, once you have children, priorities need re-shuffling. Some people see their legacy as the influence they have on a company. I definitely see my legacy in terms of my genes.

Sure you could retire at 45-55 with a huge wad of cash, and then try to start a family... but it will be more difficult (unless youa re lucky), moreover, the later you start, the increasingly unfair it is on the children, imagine being the only child who had a pensioner for a parent when still at school?


Excellent and thought-provoking post. +1
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

4 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [4] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 20:14
4
This post received
KUDOS
terp06 wrote:
I suppose that higher-ranking government officials that make $150-200K for working a 40 hour week can feel somewhat secure with their jobs.

Also, I'll admit that I'm young and single and don't have a whole lot of experience with marriages or marital problems - but from what I've seen, many people with demanding careers can make it work and many people with not-so-demanding careers can't make it work. There are way too many other factors at play. I would venture to guess that the divorce rate for Wall Streeters is not significantly higher than the overall American divorce rate.


As a former government employee, first I can tell you there arent many high ups who make 150k+ (they are the senior executive service guys). Every single one of these guys I know worked FAR more than 40 hours a week. A government guy running a place where 5000 people work is most likely making less than 250k and working lots of hours. Its not the 1950s where once you got a payrate you kept it, you get demoted you lose that pay just like in the real world. Compensation is definitely not on par with what someone doing the same thing in the corporate world would make for the exact same job. They also got rid of the pension plans so now there is a lot less incentive for people to make a career of working for the government.

I would bet wall street guys have a higher divorce rate than of areas where hours arent as bad. If you are young and single you dont understand that spending time with each other is a huge part of a marriage. I have several friends who are divorced and you can directly point to their working huge hours and traveling a lot as what initiated many issues in their relationships. When you cant spend time with each other it leads to issues...some people make it work but it is a big hurdle. Personally I dont get why anyone would rather spend all their time at work if they are married and/or have kids. Why have a wife/husband if you spend more time with your co-workers than them.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

7 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2137
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [7] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 05:28
7
This post received
KUDOS
:lol:
Attachments

New Yorker.jpg
New Yorker.jpg [ 25.85 KiB | Viewed 1646 times ]

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 07:43
terp06 wrote:
refurb wrote:

It was a response to your comment "I don't know of any hardworking professional who doesn't put in at least 60 hours a week".


I'm curious - how long has your boss maintained his position for and how secure does he feel in his career?


Well, let me start off with saying nothing is secure right now in big pharma. You often end looking for another job every few years due to restructuring and such. 10 years ago you could count on putting 10-20 years in with one company, but not anymore.

My boss definitively adds value to the company. He was probably one of the top producers when I worked with him. When my boss was laid off a few years back, he had multiple offers on the table from a number of companies. He has an outstanding reputation for producing quality work.

He just had a different attitude about work. He was all about value added, not necessarily hours put in. Also, he didn't screw around at work either. No breaks other than lunch at his desk. No socializing, etc. You could probably say that he put in the same amount of hours as the guy who was there for 10 hours a day but took a 1.5 h lunch, a couple 30 min breaks, went to the gym for an hour, etc.

However, I'll add that there is a lot of "fat" in the pharma industry. There are people who put in ~30-35 hr/week and take home $100K+. However everyone else knows they are lazy shits and their days are numbered.

His work didn't have anything to do with his divorce, his wife went crazy!

RF
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2137
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 07:48
refurb wrote:
. . . 10 hours a day but took a 1.5 h lunch, a couple 30 min breaks, went to the gym for an hour, etc.


gym for an hour? wtf.
refurb wrote:
However, I'll add that there is a lot of "fat" in the pharma industry. There are people who put in ~30-35 hr/week and take home $100K+. However everyone else knows they are lazy shits and their days are numbered.


Hmmm, Refrub, can you post a quick primer on the pharma industry.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 09:06
refurb wrote:
terp06 wrote:
refurb wrote:

It was a response to your comment "I don't know of any hardworking professional who doesn't put in at least 60 hours a week".


I'm curious - how long has your boss maintained his position for and how secure does he feel in his career?


Well, let me start off with saying nothing is secure right now in big pharma. You often end looking for another job every few years due to restructuring and such. 10 years ago you could count on putting 10-20 years in with one company, but not anymore.

My boss definitively adds value to the company. He was probably one of the top producers when I worked with him. When my boss was laid off a few years back, he had multiple offers on the table from a number of companies. He has an outstanding reputation for producing quality work.

He just had a different attitude about work. He was all about value added, not necessarily hours put in. Also, he didn't screw around at work either. No breaks other than lunch at his desk. No socializing, etc. You could probably say that he put in the same amount of hours as the guy who was there for 10 hours a day but took a 1.5 h lunch, a couple 30 min breaks, went to the gym for an hour, etc.

However, I'll add that there is a lot of "fat" in the pharma industry. There are people who put in ~30-35 hr/week and take home $100K+. However everyone else knows they are lazy shits and their days are numbered.

His work didn't have anything to do with his divorce, his wife went crazy!

RF


Sounds about right. These kind of jobs don't last very long - I'd almost consider them to be a market anomaly.

Another factor that you have to weigh as far as so-called "quality of life" is - how often do you want to move around? Are your spouse and children going to be alright with you switching jobs every 4 years and packing up to move to a new small town in middle America? Is it going to be easy for them to fit in and find a social support system in these smaller towns where many people are already very established? Or will this be unnecessary since you'll be home at 5:30PM every night? If you decide that you want to be in Finance in New York, or Tech in Silicon Valley, or Energy in Houston - you can count on having a lot of opportunities in your city and hopefully settling down and not moving around as much. Again, everyone has different priorities - but this is very high on my list. Once I'm ready to "settle down" so to speak, I want to decide on one city to live in for a decade or two and stick around in it. If I have to work dog hours to achieve this, that's fine by me.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 10:21
Terp - I think you nailed it.

It's a matter of what each person wants and if that person is willing to do what it takes. In order to stick around in one single town, you might have to work like crazy so you don't get sent to another city. This discussion has really helped me think about exactly what I want from my career post-MBA. I do have a wife + 2 kids. They're young so moving to get my degree and then to a new place won't be as hard on them as say late elementary school or older, but I have thought about what I want even further down the road now in terms of my family rather than just what business I want to start. After becoming a father is not the time to be selfish. It's best to do that 18 up to having a family. It doens't have to all be about the kids, but they certainly are a priority once they arrive.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 12:54
kidderek wrote:
refurb wrote:
. . . 10 hours a day but took a 1.5 h lunch, a couple 30 min breaks, went to the gym for an hour, etc.


gym for an hour? wtf.
refurb wrote:
However, I'll add that there is a lot of "fat" in the pharma industry. There are people who put in ~30-35 hr/week and take home $100K+. However everyone else knows they are lazy shits and their days are numbered.


Hmmm, Refrub, can you post a quick primer on the pharma industry.


What did you want to know? The examples I've listed above aren't the norm. A few of the really big companies who have done really well in the past (tons of cash coming in) have hired a lot of people who consider themselves entitled the actions I described above. You have to understand that I work on the R&D side too, where it's very difficult to measure performance (just because you failed doesn't mean you didn't do everything right) so a lot of these people are given the benefit of the doubt when they don't perform. I've also worked for companies where no one puts in less than 50 hours a week (a solid 50) and the people bust their asses most of the time.

Right now, the pharma industry is going through some really tough times. The old days when you could turn out drugs and cash would come flowing in are over. I liken it to what the auto industry in Detroit is going through, the old way of doing business is dead, but you can't turn a ship that size around in a year, it takes time and it will be a very bumpy ride. In 5 years, the top 5 companies (by sales) won't be in the top five anymore. The latest stat I've read is that over 125,000 people in pharma have been laid off in the last year and a half.

Even some of the old biotech giants are falling on hard times (Amgen for example). The industry as a whole seems to ebb and flow and right now it's in the gutter. The interesting thing is, where there is turmoil there is opportunity. I think you'll see some major changes to the industry and those who are smart enough to contribute will have very successful careers.

I still plan on working in the pharma/biotech industry post-MBA, I just find the work and the market dynamics too interesting to give up. The benefits are second to none and if you have the skills you can really go places.

RF
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 104
Schools: Texas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 10:43
This is NOT on topic with the conversation in this thread but related to a city discussed at length earlier in it. I saw this article today and was stunned.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 360/&imw=Y
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 10:49
One line in there struck me, "It about doesn't make sense to put the family out," Upshaw said. "Once people are gone, you're gonna lose the house in this neighborhood."

This is so true, but where would the bank draw the line? If the same bank is foreclosing on my property in a different area of Detroit where the house would not be dismantled if abandoned, I wouldn't like the differential treatment.

It also makes me wonder just how badly the bank tried to negotiate withe former owner before foreclosing on them. Oddly, the bank and home owners truly want the same thing. The bank wants to get paid on the mortgage note and 99.9% of home owners want to pay the note. Even a renegoiated note would not be in the write-off column for the mortgage company.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 10:52
This has been going on for a while. Get the scoop at http://www.countrywide.com/purchase/f_reo.asp. Multiple properties in Detroit listed for $1. Buying houses for a buck bother you too much? How about $100? $500 will get you lots more for your money!

What's funny is that Michigan is among the 20 richest states in the country by median household income. Mississippi, the "poorest" state in the US has houses starting at $4,500. Take it FWIW.

icon wrote:
This is NOT on topic with the conversation in this thread but related to a city discussed at length earlier in it. I saw this article today and was stunned.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 360/&imw=Y
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 11:01
My wife's grandfather bought 4 houses in Michigan maybe 6 months ago or less. He's remodeled them and is renting them. I'm not sure exactly where they are. I know he didn't pay $1 for them. He paid about $30k each for them and then spent another $10k - $15k remodeling them. But that's what he does for his living / retirement. He's got houses all over. Fun one is on the Big Island of Hawaii :P It's not much, but it sure makes a vacation to Hawaii darn cheap!
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance?   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2008, 11:01
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic need info on which book has Set Theroy bagdbmba 7 07 May 2013, 23:14
3 Best industry/career for work-life balance milias 22 23 Jul 2010, 10:07
"decent" work/life balance... does it exist? dv450 1 26 Feb 2010, 08:20
Work/Life Balance emoryhopeful 10 11 Sep 2007, 12:12
Which are the best MBAs for finance ? GMATPIPO 5 08 Aug 2004, 11:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Info sake: Which MBA field has the best work-life balance?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 89 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.