Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

information regarding the background work profiles

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
information regarding the background work profiles [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 03:02
Hello,
I would like to get some information regarding the background work profiles, of a candidate, Business Schools prefer for admissions.

I am working in telecom sector (Mobile Phones), on papers my designation is Software Engineer, but the roles and responsibilities I offered were:
Customer Interaction for discussion on the product requirements, Negotiation on the requirements, Product Status discussion for procurement by the customer etc.

Now, i am working for another employer, where my designation is Product Consultant (equivalent to Product Manager).
My total work experience is 3years and 6 months.

How narrow or huge chances i have to get into a good business school with this work profile.

Thank You!

its never funny the second time

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Schools: Columbia - Class of 1997
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: information regarding the background work profiles [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 09:10
Expert's post
Hi:

Unfortunately, it's not easy to characterize your chances based upon what you have shared so far.

The major realms of ambiguity are:

1) what do YOU mean by "good" business school? (it's different for different people -- not surprisingly)

2) what is your GMAT if you have an actual test score? (GMAT is not destiny; but even with a real GMAT score the question as you pose it is not easy to answer, so in the absence of a real GMAT score it's almost impossible!)

Furthermore, the "best" schools get to pick candidates across a number of dimensions, not least of which are wisdom and judgment ---- which are best demonstrated in the essay where you talk about how your professional experience has shaped your understanding of your goals. In your post, it's almost as if you're saying "I need a quick and dirty answer" before I invest any more time in this process -- and unfortunately for you from that perspective, the competition is fierce enough that to pose the question that way is almost a confession that you are the very beginning of even thinking about this process.

There is no shame in being at the beginning, of course - but it is questionable as to how advisable it is to presume success from the very start of what is, in fact, a quite involved and effort-intensive process.

So, if you have time, think about where you have been and what you want -- for those are crucial details in any application (and just as crucial for any quick attempt at answering the question for you!

Give us at Veritas a call and we'll be happy to help you sort out the major issues.

Thank you for your kind attentions

Darren S. Kowitt (Columbia '97)

Darren
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Save 10% on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: information regarding the background work profiles [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 09:41
optimisttageja,

On the negative side, software engineers are among the most common backgrounds for applicants to business school, so if you are also a male from 'high-application-volume' country like India etc. then your career trajectory does not help you very much. That said, business schools do value leadership and interpersonal skills so if you and your recommenders can make a case that you are atypically strong in these areas, that helps you to some extent. You might want to make sure you have a major extracurricular outside of work that has a lot of leadership baked into it, to drive home your leadership theme.

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, http://www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

optimisttageja wrote:
Hello,
I would like to get some information regarding the background work profiles, of a candidate, Business Schools prefer for admissions.

I am working in telecom sector (Mobile Phones), on papers my designation is Software Engineer, but the roles and responsibilities I offered were:
Customer Interaction for discussion on the product requirements, Negotiation on the requirements, Product Status discussion for procurement by the customer etc.

Now, i am working for another employer, where my designation is Product Consultant (equivalent to Product Manager).
My total work experience is 3years and 6 months.

How narrow or huge chances i have to get into a good business school with this work profile.

Thank You!

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Re: information regarding the background work profiles   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2012, 09:41