Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Information session attendance?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 12:17
For those who have attended school's information sessions this year -- what has the attendance been like? Attendance at the information sessions hit record levels last year, with some students not even being able to find chairs. Has it been like this so far this year?

I'm just not seeing as much buzz about business school this year. Not anywhere the amount I saw last year.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 19:58
I've never been to an information session where I couldn't find a chair, but maybe I go outside of peak times.

USC and UCLA had scheduled sessions, but Booth had a daily thing where they just met with whoever had scheduled an appointment for the day. Booth's was by far the most interesting, but you can attribute most of that experience to the "rhyme factor." I visited all of these schools last year, but I haven't been to any this year yet. It seems pretty early in the season to be doing visits since students are just getting back on campus now.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Re: Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 14:29
A lot of schools ask you to RSVP to make sure they can accommodate everyone. I have never been to a info session or school event where people couldn't find seats so he or she had to stand up the entire time.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 14:36
I guess the question behind the question here is:

What does everyone think app volume is going to look like this year compared to last? :)
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

Re: Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 21:11
You would think it would be a little bit less, since things have somewhat stablized, but the glimmer of hope might actually bring the more conservative would-be MBAs back into the competition.

Was last year really a significant increase in application volume? I know that Round 1 was really crowded, but I think the subsequent rounds were pretty empty.

If I had to make an uneducated guess, I'd expect this year to be a pretty typical year.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 21:29
Avernusaur wrote:
You would think it would be a little bit less, since things have somewhat stablized, but the glimmer of hope might actually bring the more conservative would-be MBAs back into the competition.

Was last year really a significant increase in application volume? I know that Round 1 was really crowded, but I think the subsequent rounds were pretty empty.

If I had to make an uneducated guess, I'd expect this year to be a pretty typical year.

I feel like the numbers show that last year's apps were up around 5-20% depending on the school. Let's hope they go down this year.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 00:17
I have read that number of GMAT appointment is an indicator of subsequent application volume, and the number of appointments has been relatively flat from last year. I can't recall the exact source where I heard this however...

Current Student
Schools: HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 25

Re: Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 01:21
I went to Information sessions at Harvard, Columbia and Wharton this past July. Plenty of open seats - they all averaged about 20-25 people. By my reckoning, a little more than half present were serious applicants, given the mandatory introduction we all had to do.

- Harvard was held in a section-sized classroom and was only about 1/3 full. I got the feeling that while most of the people there were serious, a few came for the free parking in Cambridge and a good campus tour. A quality but quick information session.

- Wharton's was quite good - held in a conference room in the admissions department. A Wharton grad and ADCOM member sat us down, and actually provided some keen insights to the process. The attendees were the most "professional", judging by their backgrounds, questions and dress. Only about 20 here - the room would not hold any more.

- Columbia was definitely the most crowded - and about 20 minutes into the presentation, a steady stream of about 25 (!) Chinese nationals streamed in at roughly two minute intervals, periodically interrupting the presentation and standing in the back. Mandatory tour stop, I guess. Even without that addition, there was at least 30 present, and they really ran the gamut of backgrounds - with 6 or so "starving bankers" by my count. The ADCOM presenter was excellent, and like all the others, they answered questions as long as people asked them after the presentation.

I definitely did NOT get the vibe that the place was buzzing with focused applicants in a standing-room only environment - far from it. Plenty of people in sandals and sunglasses who just got back from Quincy Market were on hand. Derive what you want from my account, but if I had a nickel from every guy I saw show up with their grubby Euro-trip Backback and unironed clothes, I'd have at least 40 cents.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 17:07
A (somewhat) silly question, but, for information sessions held at nice hotels, is business professional dress expected / appropriate?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Schools: Darden '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 22

Re: Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 21:13
learning33 wrote:
A (somewhat) silly question, but, for information sessions held at nice hotels, is business professional dress expected / appropriate?

i'd like an answer to that as well. how much of these information sessions are tracked? I had one appointment for Stanford's a couple weeks ago in Orange County, but had to pull out literally hours before due to a family emergency. I emailed through the official chain, but you never know. Sure don't want to be seen as a flake.

Plus, that leads into the question of dress. It may seem silly, but if I'm out working in the field, getting into "Professional Dress", takes a lot longer due to the fact I have to get home, shower, shave, and put on clothes that requires dry cleaning. This takes much more effort than a guy coming from an office. Granted, I wouldn't show up looking like I just came off of an oil derrick, but it would be nice to be able to throw on a Polo or Button Shirt and a pair of clean jeans, and head down.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 21:41
I would personally go with business casual at the minimum if you can. Remember: The real value in these sessions is not necessarily watching the PowerPoint presentation, but interacting with the admissions committee, alumni, and fellow applicants at the reception afterwards. You want to fit in and make a good impression.

From my experience, 60% of people are business casual, 30% are business professional with a suit (this 90% comes directly form work) and 10% are casual (usually undergrads and creative types).

And yes, information sessions are generally tracked witha sign in sheet but many people definitely flake on them. I have no clue if it has any impact on admissions.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 21:43
I'm curious to know as well how the attendance at the information sessions inpacts admissions. Is it equivalent to a campus visit? My guess is probably now, but if it is, then I might be able to save a few dollars by going to some info sessions in the west for schools located in the east.
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 22:42
My opinion is that almost all campus visits or info session attendance have no impact on the admissions. The positive of doing either would be a credible way of relating why a school is a good fit in an essay or interview. The exception might be if someone goes to extraordinary lengths to visit and someone on the adcom has personal knowledge of it. Also, I'd think that someone lives close to a school (i.e. driving distance) and never visited, it might come off as laziness or indifference.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information session attendance? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 10:37
RE: The underlying theme of this thread, which is app volume

http://www.beatthegmat.com/a/2009/09/02 ... itive-year

This article was interesting.
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs School of Business