Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 08:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 13:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In the event an applicant has more than one school to choose from, what kind of information do think you should ask the schools for to help with making the decision?

I'll be asking for a list of internship and full-time job placements for the past two years (company and position) for my specific industry. I'll also be asking for a complete list of all the companies in my industry who have recruited in the last two years.

Can anyone think of anything else?

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 14:54
I was just debating whether or not it was a good idea to send an email requesting this information. I wanted to know all the companies that recruited on campus for my industry, with number of hires, plus some other recruiting details. Do you plan to send an email like that to career services? Or do you plan to get that info a different way? Is it possibly a bad idea to bug career services for a ton of detailed information?
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 15:02
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I was just debating whether or not it was a good idea to send an email requesting this information. I wanted to know all the companies that recruited on campus for my industry, with number of hires, plus some other recruiting details. Do you plan to send an email like that to career services? Or do you plan to get that info a different way? Is it possibly a bad idea to bug career services for a ton of detailed information?

Will you ask Cornell on my behalf just in case they shoot the messenger?

The True Value of YOUR MBA: 103-t64239
GMATClub's Unofficial Chartered Financial Analyst thread: 103-t63245
How Much Weight Does the CFA Carry with Admissions: 103-t68059

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 15:07
The schools wouldn't have admitted you to a competitive program unless they wanted you!

I plan to contact the career offices of the schools I'm admitted to and very nicely ask for assistance in getting the information I'm looking for. As long as you don't ask for obscure information (how many students, between the ages of 25-27, got full-time offers from tech companies located in CA, FL and AK?) I'm sure it's not a big deal for them to put it together.

My contact with the admissions office at Duke has been great so far. They seem very eager to answer all my questions so that I'll make the best decision.

RF

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 15:11
I would ask how the economic crisis is affecting them. Are they cutting back on career services, not hiring new professors, not adding new courses...eliminating courses? Some schools are making cuts, you are paying a ton of money you dont want to be at a place that says yes we eliminated a few career councilors. I mean Kellogg just hired two more...since people are doing more off campus these days you dont want to have that resource too limited.

You can ask about recruiting info. Schools should have last years stuff compiled by now. I know Kellogg just released their 2008 report (not the pdf version with names, locations, and titles but all the data.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 15:27
Riverripper,

Good point about cutbacks!

Who would you ask to get that info? The Dean?

RF

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 15:33
refurb wrote:
Riverripper,

RF

Be that guy to do it at admitted students weekend haha

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 17:04
I just called the Texas career office to get a list of IBs that recruited on campus this year. There were others that had resume drops, but the firms below were actively on campus.

Bank of America
Barclays Capital
Citi
Credit Suisse
Deutsche Bank
FTI
JPMorgan - Houston
JPMorgan – NYC
Lazard
Merrill Lynch
Morgan Stanley
Simmons
Tudor Pickering
UBS

Thought this might help for any other students considering IB out of Texas.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 17:21
riverripper wrote:
refurb wrote:
Riverripper,

RF

Be that guy to do it at admitted students weekend haha

Wait until the Dean is halfway through his speech, then interrupt him by waving my arms and yelling "hey!!", then ask?

RF

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 326 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 17:26
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Ooo, I dare you to interrupt Kellogg's dean's speech! :lol:

But anyway, here are some things you can ask:

Career:
- Ask to be put in contact with alums at target companies. Then CALL those alums for an informational interview to ask them about hiring, the economy, and even picking schools. they are surprisingly honest with admits if they don't think School X is a good fit for them, even if they're an alum from that school.

- Ask about all the questions River and others already mentioned

- Ask to talk to students (or more students if you've already done this before your admit) in the career industry clubs that you're interested in (finance club, consulting club, tech club, etc...). Ask them how their internships and full time job searches are going. That's the BEST way to feel the pulse of the school, since the career center might put out numbers that make them look good.

- Ask questions about "How easy is it to get in contact with recruiters from target companies?" "How often do they come here?" "what activities do they sponsor or do on campus?" "What are typical ways for students to get jobs from those companies?"

- I like river's question about professors and career services. Haas has hired a LOT of part-time advisors to help with advising and interviews, on top of the full time staff they retained (no reductions). The Dean is also very committed to hiring the same amount of professors as we planned on doing last year (I think 10 is the number in the next 2 years). These are the type of schools that you want to seriously consider.

Fit:
- Ask if there are any alumni events happening nearby. See if you can get invited to them. I went to a few alumni events for Haas last year and got to see how enthusiastic the Haas alums are.

- Go sit in on more classes (if you're local), hang out there for a day. People will definitely treat you different if you say you're an admitted student (versus prospective). They're also more willing to chat with you. :)

- Go to non-West Coast schools in the dead of winter (like, now). If you're not used to that weather, either get used to it or think twice. :P

Making the decision between 2 or more great schools is TOUGH. But in the end, if you do all that research, you will have a gut feeling of which school is best for you. Good luck!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 18:59
kryzak wrote:
Ooo, I dare you to interrupt Kellogg's dean's speech! :lol:

But anyway, here are some things you can ask:

Wow! I might have start this thread, but does that stop me from nominating it to go into the vault?

Awesome stuff Kryzak! You listed stuff I never even thought about!

Thanks!!!

RF

Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Tuck
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 19:47
brilliant list kryzak... and thanks refurb for asking this question... reminded me that i should be thinking about these questions too

ZZeuSS
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2009, 17:21
refurb wrote:
Wow! I might have start this thread, but does that stop me from nominating it to go into the vault?

Awesome stuff Kryzak! You listed stuff I never even thought about!

Thanks!!!

RF

Thanks refurb. I've already added it to the vault, under "School choices, rankings, fit..."

Now kudos me, people! :P (j/k)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Non-Human User
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted.... [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 22:34
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Information to ask for AFTER you're admitted....   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2014, 22:34