Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Informing your employer of B-School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Informing your employer of B-School [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 03:44
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips/stories about informing your employer you are applying to B-school? I work for a pretty small company so it is not one of those things where I can leave temporarily and then slide back into my role (most likely anyway). Also, I can't work part time or do night school because I am working in the south and want to go to B-school in the northeastern US. Any help? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 1

Re: Informing your employer of B-School [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 09:33
If you want to go back why don't you just tell them so? Or say something along the lines of "Mr. CEO, I love your company and enjoy working here...but I want to let you know that I want to take 2 years off to get smarter so that I can make you even more money when I come back to work for you."
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 32

Re: Informing your employer of B-School [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 05:16
What type of company is it? Does anyone within the company have an MBA? Do you plan or want to return after B-school? Do you need them to write you recommendations?

These questions would shape my decision regarding how to approach it.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: University of Toronto (Rotman) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: Informing your employer of B-School [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 04:24
The issue you're facing is that you don't want them to hate you because you will need their references and blessings for b-school application reference letters. One way to to avoid the hate is definitely to tell them in good advance that you are leaving so they can find replacement and adjust to it, and as long as you do that and tell them straight up that you want to take the next step, they have no right to be upset. If they are a spiteful sort though don't tell them too early, maybe one or two months before you're leaving, but if they are then you have a bigger problem, and that is finding someone else to write your recommendation letters.

>>>>>>> "Fences set on a high place will not stand firm against the wind; so a timid mind with a fool's resolve will not stand firm against any fear." ~~~~~~

Re: Informing your employer of B-School   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2011, 04:24