Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Input on School Decisions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.62
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Input on School Decisions [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 15:14
Hello everyone,

I just recently was admitted to three different programs and I would like some input on what would be a smart decision.

I got into:

1) University of San Diego- full time program
2) MBA@UNC part-time online program
3) UCLA FEMBA part-time flex program

I am having trouble deciding because USD, while not as nationally recognized as the other two, offered me a partial scholarship and so far none of the other schools have offered anything and as everyone here knows MBA is a big financial commitment. Also, I want to have the best outcome of getting a good job after the program and I think career recruitment would be easier on campus versus done online. So I am trying to weigh all of my options before I make a decision so that I do not regret it.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 309 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Input on School Decisions [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 16:38
Out of the 3, I like the UCLA FEMBA. Yes you won't have a scholarship, but at least you'll still be working full-time and that should offset the costs of going to school. Same goes for UNC's program, though it seems like you applied to California schools for a reason.

USD's scholarship may be enticing, but chances are you won't be able to work during the full-time program, and if you do, you'll have your hands full. If you want to stay in Southern Cal, I just think the Anderson name can't be beat.

Something to think about: What kind of companies does USD attract to campus? While the FEMBA is part online, part residence, if you maximize your networking opportunities, you'll have access to companies that hire at Anderson, which is going to be markedly better than USD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student

Re: Input on School Decisions [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 19:17
Thank you for the advice CobraKai.

I chose which schools to apply to based on being able to stay in San Diego and did not really mean to focus on California. Since I run my own business, I was not interested in moving somewhere else; thus I chose one local school where I could decide if I should work while attending and two programs that would allow me to work. Besides the tuition, another aspect of the FEMBA program that is somewhat of a con to me is the length of the program. Both of the other programs are around 2 years long with the ability to accelerate and the FEMBA program is by far the longest, even with any acceleration options. I am not sure if that is something I should be focusing on, I just figured the quicker the program, the quicker I will be able to transition careers and find a new job.

During my USD interview, I met with the career advisor and she told me the resources available to me as well as walked me through some of the current student's internships and job offers and I have seen the types of companies that recruit there. However because of my background, I am not sure 100% what I want to do with my MBA as I could follow several different paths and that is partially why this is all so hard for me to decide. Therefore, I appreciate any and all input anyone gives.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 20

Re: Input on School Decisions [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 20:04
I am not really sure what you are trying to achieve with your MBA. You mentioned you wanted to get a good job after, which is pretty vague. From what I understand, most full time programs have better resources in career resources when compared to part time programs. Most part time programs are geared towards working individuals where a job is pretty much lined up after the completion of the program.

You said you own your own business, but from the sounds of it either you want out or you want to do something else full time while managing your business on the side after your MBA. In either case you have to really look at what the that something else is and try to see, which program works for you. My gut is telling me you are better off going full time, if you can balance the workload. You should really decide which type of program, full time or part-time, works best for your situation before you decide then step.

I have a friend paying full tuition to go to a part time program while he is NOT working. He wanted a better brand at the cost of the full time experience. IMO - a poor choice.
Current Student

Re: Input on School Decisions [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 20:24
I am currently a solo practitioner attorney and am looking to eventually transition to working for a company. Ideally I could see myself working for an investment bank, for a consulting company, or as a senior manager for a corporation focused on consumer goods or travel and tourism, or at least those are some of the initial paths I am interested in.

While the other schools are ranked better, I agree being full-time at USD would present me with more career resources and that is also causing my dilemma. If I go full-time, I would practice as an attorney as little as possible while attending school, but if I went part-time with the other programs I would work full-time. I do not want to focus on rankings if in the end I am no better off with more debt or I am in worse position because I am unable to get the job I want since I have less access to career resources. But also, I do not want to let the scholarship affect me to the point that I go to school based on it and then my ROI is less when I graduate and I don't get as great of a job. Sorry I am just trying to weigh my options so I can make an informed decision.

Thank you for the advice both of you, you have given me a lot to think about.
Re: Input on School Decisions   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2013, 20:24