Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2015, 15:15
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Inputting GPA on applications

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson 2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Inputting GPA on applications [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 20:34
This post received
KUDOS
For those who have GPAs from more than one undergraduate institution (i.e. people who transferred), did you calculate an average GPA or input only the GPA earned from your degree granting institution? For example, Columbia asks for "total undergraduate GPA". The Columbia instructions state: "The grade-point average (GPA) incorporates the grades for all terms of academic work completed. The GPA includes all courses for which you received credit or that were recognized for credit by your degree-granting institution."

I did my first two years at a community college and then transferred to Berkeley for my last two years. Berkeley recognizes the credit earned from community college but calculates GPA based only on classes taken at Berkeley. I interpret the Columbia instructions as calculating an average of the community college and Berkeley GPAs. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 46

Re: Inputting GPA on applications [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 09:30
Great question, I would like to know as well since I transferred around a bit during my UG years.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 67

Re: Inputting GPA on applications [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 09:44
This would be a good question to call and ask the school as I'm sure it is quite common. Might want to post their response to help future members.
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 37

Re: Inputting GPA on applications [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 09:49
I asked Columbia adcom a while back on this question and the response was to calculate out your GPA using both of the institutions (your JC and Berkeley courses together).

However, this is a bit different for each b-school you'll be applying to as some won't ask for a cumulative GPA, but simply your GPA at that institution.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson 2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Inputting GPA on applications [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 14:06
This post received
KUDOS
Ok. Here are the comments I received from Columbia's admissions dept in regards to my two questions:

1) There is a section that asks for "total undergraduate GPA". I completed my first two years at a community college and then transferred to UC Berkeley for my last two years. Berkeley recognizes the credits earned from community college but calculates GPA based only on classes taken at Berkeley. In inputting "total undergraduate GPA", I interpret the Columbia instructions as calculating an average GPA that includes both my community college and Berkeley GPAs. Are my assumptions correct?

Thank you for your interest in Columbia Business School. In the “total undergraduate GPA” field, your assumptions are correct. Please calculate your total undergraduate GPA, including the community college GPA and Berkeley GPA. You may list your GPAs for these two institutions separately in the Education section.

2) In the Education Section of the application, should I list any coursework completed after receiving my undergraduate degree? Or is the education section reserved only for courses leading up to my undergraduate degree?

In the Education section please list any undergraduate and graduate coursework.
Re: Inputting GPA on applications   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2010, 14:06