Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Inquiry about my case and background check

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Inquiry about my case and background check [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 22:12
a

Last edited by shawnbai1985 on 25 Aug 2013, 23:30, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 563 [0], given: 30

Re: Inquiry about my case and background check [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 23:54
Expert's post
Ohhhhh! Tough story! (and to be honest it seems a bit exaggerated on the part of your employer, but you may have put them in a "diplomatic" bind).

Anyhow, not to dwell too long on it, but basically you have only (in my opinion) one way to deal with this and that is honestly - come clean about what happened, what you learned from it, and don't dwell on it too much. It will likely hurt your applicant a wee bit, but it will also be brave and honest, and show that you are unafraid to own up to your mistakes.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Inquiry about my case and background check [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 00:18
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Ohhhhh! Tough story! (and to be honest it seems a bit exaggerated on the part of your employer, but you may have put them in a "diplomatic" bind).

Anyhow, not to dwell too long on it, but basically you have only (in my opinion) one way to deal with this and that is honestly - come clean about what happened, what you learned from it, and don't dwell on it too much. It will likely hurt your applicant a wee bit, but it will also be brave and honest, and show that you are unafraid to own up to your mistakes.

Thanks a lot for your reply and empathy. I'm so stressed by this occasion during the application process. I'm afraid that the AO will consider I don't have a high ethical standard. In your opinion, to what extend this occasion will hurt my applicant to the top 15 business schools? Is it possible to change this matter into a good one? I have a recommendation from my previous line manager. Does it help? Thank you again!
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 563 [0], given: 30

Re: Inquiry about my case and background check [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 22:34
Expert's post
To what extent? It's really impossible to judge. Because this is a matter of personal qualitative judgement. Some people might say "okay, he was a bit foolish, but he's come clean so I don't care' others might be like "the rules are the rules"... my point being is that you should expect some sort of reaction, which is why your essay explaining this will be ALL important!

Again, its not really possible to quantify how this might harm your application, but you can do two things: 1. Don't worry about it - it's water under the bridge. Just make a good essay about it. 2. Take this into consideration when you build your strategy by adding two more safer schools into your list.

Make sense?

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Inquiry about my case and background check [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 23:31
JonAdmissionado wrote:
To what extent? It's really impossible to judge. Because this is a matter of personal qualitative judgement. Some people might say "okay, he was a bit foolish, but he's come clean so I don't care' others might be like "the rules are the rules"... my point being is that you should expect some sort of reaction, which is why your essay explaining this will be ALL important!

Again, its not really possible to quantify how this might harm your application, but you can do two things: 1. Don't worry about it - it's water under the bridge. Just make a good essay about it. 2. Take this into consideration when you build your strategy by adding two more safer schools into your list.

Make sense?

Hi Jon, I'll really appreciate your help! Will write a good essay to explain it. Hope my dream school won't care about it.
Re: Inquiry about my case and background check   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2013, 23:31