Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD and IMD in the news

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

INSEAD and IMD in the news [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2009, 06:26
http://blog.clearadmit.com/2009/01/lond ... -rankings/

I think this deserves to be discussed separately from the FT 2009 rankings. Some pretty grim news about class of December 2008 in INSEAD - about 65% have acceptad a job offer by the time of graduation. And Jake Cohen says it's going to get even worse for the class of July 2009.

On the other hand, IMD's class of December 2008 seems to be doing pretty well. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that the entire class is only 90 people and most of them have 7+ years of experience and are already quite accomplished.

What do you think? Is it better to attend IMD or INSEAD starting from January 2010? Or isn't it even better to attend a tier 2 school with a lower tuition fee?

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: INSEAD and IMD in the news [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2009, 04:56
Nerdboy this is a very valid issue. INSEAD mints out over 800 grads per year. If they are placing 65% that is still 250 odd jobs (@400 for the December intake) - not bad going for Dec'08 when some serious hell broke loose. What will be interesting is to dig through these statistics further. For instance, how many placements were an immediate start (as opposed to deferred). How many of those placements are still valid after the crisis. Another interesting stat would be offers vs placements. Maybe students dont like those offers and are holding out for something better ? I don't know the real answers, I'm just speculating.

One of the factors that many people underestimate is the power of location and of proactive networking (as opposed to recruiter initiated networking in form of school events). Surely Fonty is at a disadvantage when it comes to proactively seeking out employers. In this scenario major center based schools such as Columbia / Stern or LBS are better placed. The other thing working against INSEAD is the two intakes model. Even though the class size for your intake might be 400 odd, the real class size is 800+ per year. That is a LOT of MBAs to compete for the same companies in the same YEAR ....

But despite all this, I feel that school choice should not be on fees but on the potential/experience. So, if you think that the cheaper MBA can provide the right kind of education and open the right kind of doors, you should pursue it anyway (regardless of the market conditions).

Any other thoughts on this ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD and IMD in the news [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2009, 23:10
What I'm really concerned about is my ability to meet the first couple of instalments of a student loan. A cheaper MBA will not open the same doors I want, but it will open *some* doors and I could make it through with less debt and therefore will be able to spend more time unemployed and searching for a job all around Europe after graduation.

You are spot on about the location. INSEAD student blogs mention something about going to Paris for interviews and meetings, but I suppose that is for French speaking people only. IMD on the other hand is conveniently close to Geneva and Zurich is not too far away; there are a lot of businesses in these two cities. Not that the students can take much advantage of that, between group projects, presentations and "power naps" on the floor. Anyway, there's another factor in IMD's favour - students can meet with executives who are on campus for corporate trainings.

Going back to INSEAD, I would very much like to hear opinions on Singapore and its networking opportunities. From what I've heard, the Asian job market is practically closed for outsiders.

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD and IMD in the news [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 10:09
I was at in event in Lausanne where I happened to meet the head of career services for IMD. When I asked how things were shaping up for their December grads, she replied, "They aren't happy."

She also mentioned that all applicants to the class of 2009 were told repeatedly that they should really look inside themselves to see if they want to leave their jobs in such an uncertain times. I guess they are setting expectations early. Unfortunately for my class in St. Gallen, we started just a few weeks before the economy blew up.

Times are definitely tough. If you have a good job in industry you should really reflect on if this is the right time to leave.
Re: INSEAD and IMD in the news   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2009, 10:09