Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD/career change to finance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

INSEAD/career change to finance [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 05:09
Alex – I need your counsel regarding INSEAD and the ability of the school to help me obtain finance jobs in Southeast and East Asia (Singapore, HK, Malaysia, maybe China). I am a career changer (doing construction PM now) and I plan to do finance, specifically investment management. Banking might be a way to get into IM, but right now it is tough for career changers. I got in to INSEAD’s Jan 11 intake (there will be a 2 mth summer internship), so internship interviews will happen immediately when I step foot on campus. And with INSEAD, you have to apply (in mid Fall 2010) for these banking internships before you start school, so it’s going to be tough but I can at least get my resume ready and prep about the industry via materials from say Vault, and hope for the best. As a non finance person, is there anything else that I can do now to get up to speed for those interviews? Maybe some self reading on CFA level 1?

Given the tough climate, I don’t think I’ll make it but I’ll do my best. And if I don’t get an internship what are my chances of obtaining a full time offer? I have family and friends who are in the industry (in Singapore) and they said that they can help forward my resume but I really don’t know if that carries any weight at all.

And if I fail to get a banking offer, what are the other ways that I can do IM? In Singapore, there are a lot of local banks and brokerages and I am thinking that maybe I can do equity research. I mean the pay will be a lot lower at these local firms but at least I can get my foot in the door.

Besides INSEAD, I got in to Georgetown MSB. Will Georgetown be a better bet in terms of getting into IM? I don’t have any US work authorization issues, but my network is a lot smaller in the US.

Also, I am thinking of maybe reapplying to top 16 US schools, but given my age (in my early 30s), should I consider doing that?

Please advise. I know that there are no silver bullets, but I would appreciate your honest feedback.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [1] , given: 0

Re: INSEAD/career change to finance [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
Stick with INSEAD.

As for the job thing, just do whatever you can to secure *a* finance job. In this environment, you can't afford to be picky.

Yes, the ideal world for you since you want to do IM is to get an IM job right away (and of course milk your family connections as much as you can). Go after banking jobs, research jobs, commercial banking, etc. Sure, some jobs don't have a direct path but you either have the choice of just giving up now, or doing whatever it takes to get *a* job in finance as a career switcher and figure it out a step at a time.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: INSEAD/career change to finance   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2010, 10:54