Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD - Essay2

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2923
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
INSEAD - Essay2 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 00:09
Essay2: Describe what you believe to be your two most substantial accomplishments to date, explaining why you view them as such. (400 words approx.)

I wonder how could anybody describe two most substantial accomplishment TO DATE in just 400 words that too with "explaining why you view them as such"?

After much word smiting, I am able to bring that down to 550.

Any thoughts?

_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Posts: 56
Location: Madrid
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 00:53
Hi! I have submitted my application 3 weeks ago and my essay n.2 was 557 words long... I'm not suggesting that you should follow my example, it's actually good practice to stay within the word limit but - as you are saying - it is quite difficult to do so in this kind of essay...

When are you going to apply?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2923
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 07:21
timothycosulich wrote:
Hi! I have submitted my application 3 weeks ago and my essay n.2 was 557 words long... I'm not suggesting that you should follow my example, it's actually good practice to stay within the word limit but - as you are saying - it is quite difficult to do so in this kind of essay...

When are you going to apply?


hmmm... you want to kill the competition by suggesting to stay within the limits .... :) :) :)

I am applying before R2 deadline i.e before Dec 6th 2006.

_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 572
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 08:16
Part of the exercise is to show that you can be concise. HBS aks for 3 accomplishments in 600 words and they are strict about their word limits. I was able to cut my Insead essay to 420.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1512 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 08:20
dukes wrote:
Part of the exercise is to show that you can be concise. HBS aks for 3 accomplishments in 600 words and they are strict about their word limits. I was able to cut my Insead essay to 420.


They aren't actually. Up to 10% more is fine for HBS. I know several students at HBS, all of them exceeded on at least one essay.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2923
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 08:31
rhyme wrote:
dukes wrote:
Part of the exercise is to show that you can be concise. HBS aks for 3 accomplishments in 600 words and they are strict about their word limits. I was able to cut my Insead essay to 420.


They aren't actually. Up to 10% more is fine for HBS. I know several students at HBS, all of them exceeded on at least one essay.

Thats what I thought. Except for sons of senators or olympic gold medalists (i.e super achievers) everybody has atleast one story that can't be described fully in the stated word limits. So I believe exceeding on one essay is fine if you remain within limits in all other essays.

_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 572
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 09:05
Quote:
Up to 10% more is fine for HBS.

Thats pretty tight compared to how much over some folks are trying to go.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 513
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 16:05
Call me fanatic - but every single of my essays for INSEAD matches *exactly* to the word limit ;) I really mean EXACT. And I think I managed to say what I wanted, even though I was tempted to tell a lot more.

dahiya!! man why are you applying to INSEAD?!! please retract your app and take your score some where else...like chintoobhai college of management or something >:/ leave me one seat in INSEAD! :)

_________________

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 19:24
necromonger you do realize that INSEAD only evaluates candidates from the same round and NOT from the aggregate pool. Therefore, if you applied in R1 you will only be be competing against other R1 applicants. This was clearly stated by an adcom at an INSEAD info session.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 513
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 08:22
Lich,

I noticed that he was in R2 after I posted - in any case I was just kiddin'. Anyway, are you referring to any INSEAD info session in the US? I never managed to get one..

Lich wrote:
necromonger you do realize that INSEAD only evaluates candidates from the same round and NOT from the aggregate pool. Therefore, if you applied in R1 you will only be be competing against other R1 applicants. This was clearly stated by an adcom at an INSEAD info session.

_________________

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

  [#permalink] 08 Nov 2006, 08:22
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Insead club1 2 11 Jan 2009, 07:31
In at INSEAD!! sm176811 53 27 Jun 2007, 14:00
Experts publish their posts in the topic INSEAD Hjort 8 21 Jan 2005, 22:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

INSEAD - Essay2

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.