Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
INSEADx   
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Consulting)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Send PM
Re: INSEAD vs Wharton [#permalink]
Hi,

Can you please help with your rationale for finally taking INSEAD; Is it because of Australia; as even I am conidering Australia as the country for finally settling in.

Thanks
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
prvarm24 wrote:
Hi,

Can you please help with your rationale for finally taking INSEAD; Is it because of Australia; as even I am conidering Australia as the country for finally settling in.

Thanks

Something to be aware of, and something that has been discussed a bit in the AGSM and other threads - Australia is a tough job market for MBA's. The combination of PR/Residence requirements and lack of large employers willing to pay a premium for an MBA grad are the two main factors.

1. Unless you have a PR or work permit, few employers will be willing to hire you as an expat and mess with visa/work permit paperwork (it happens but not often)
2. Companies in Australia give more preference/weight to work experience. Thus it is a better location for those 30+ with good brand names on their resumes and good accomplishments, but still, the salary premium one would get is not as high as in the US or London for example.

Granted, if you are heading to INSEAD, Wharton, HBS, or MIT - you may find #1 to be less of an issue with companies willing to bet on someone with strong track record/etc but in general, Australian job market is not super friendly to outsiders and takes more effort to break into than EU, UK, or US, or even Canada for that matter.

Good Luck!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
INSEAD vs Wharton [#permalink]
DI119 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am currently debating between these 2 schools.
My background - 28, Indian origin, 5 years financial analytics consulting experience across US , Singapore and India.
Post MBA goal-strategy consulting.
Countries - Long term- Australia (my family is settled there); Short term- I am open to any place - US/Singapore (Europe - but doesn't offer that many job opportunities)
Visa - I would need visa sponsorship in both Europe and US, so that's not really a deciding factor.

I do like the shorter course idea given its a smaller burden financially (and getting to live in Europe briefly) but does INSEAD have that much name recognition globally compared to US schools? It was ranked one globally this year but the rankings keep moving every year and might not be as reliable.

My thoughts-

INSEAD-

Pros-
10 months-shorter time away from work, much greater ROI
Gives me access to Singapore campus and Wharton/Kellogg exchange
Rank 1 in FT rankings for 2016
One of the Top schools for MBB recruiters

Cons-
Shorter course - no time for internship-maybe imp given I want to change my field.
Name recognition -rankings keep changing. US schools are better world renowned and especially good for US jobs. Given the state of European economy - US is still the place for better job opportunities.
Is Campus Exchange really that valuable given the short time spent there.

Wharton -

Pros-
Well renowned , better job opportunities in US
Longer course - internship option to get a feel of strategy consulting

Cons-
Higher cost-almost twice as much - higher loan
Not much access to Asia - Singapore/Australia markets - my long term goal
Much younger student population - might be much older than my classmates

Any thoughts? (Have posted it on the schools forums as well)

Hi DI119

First congrats on admission to both great and top schools. :thumbup:

Let start with your long terms/short term goals, long:Australia (family); short term: US/Singapore (Europe - but doesn't offer that many job opportunities).

Do you really think that you will have problem to find job anywhere after graduation from INSEAD/Wharton ???

You will not !

Any big company is going to do your papers/visa.

I will not delve into details now about rankings, I assume you are aware of that and we are talking about nuances anyways.

However you can find all necessary research about that and more regarding consulting, in my previous post here :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/profile-eval ... l#p2102447

We have here strategic, life/cultural experience and cost effective decision to make.

From that aspect is rather easy to decide, since you want European living experience, Asian/Australian working/living experience, you should clearly go to INSEAD, especially since that pleasure will cost you twice as less.

If you go to Wharton you know you will work in US afterwards. :)

How's that fit in your long term plan ? :-)

INSEAD worldwide recognition is just fine, sometimes considered as "numero uno" for consulting, and that brand recognition will not change anytime soon.

In terms of sheer numbers, no school sends more students into consulting jobs than INSEAD. According to the school’s latest 2016 MBA employment report, 46 percent of INSEAD MBAs took a job in the consulting sector and 48 percent assumed a consulting function. That’s a whopping 479 students accepting a position as a consultant—almost half of the 999 students who filled out the employment report.

INSEAD’s MBA graduates took jobs with such companies as McKinsey (which hired 125 INSEAD grads in 2016), BCG (67), Bain (48), Strategy& (24), and Accenture (16). And it’s no wonder the major players like INSEAD. Many alumni hold prominent positions such as chairmen, CEO, or senior leader at these same top consulting firms.

As for where these consulting grads work, they’re spread out around the world. More than 100 consulting graduates took jobs in Western Europe, 41 of those in the United Kingdom. Another 83 graduates headed off to consulting offices in Asia Pacific, including 23 each in Singapore and Australia. But the single most attractive country for INSEAD consulting grads was the United Arab Emirates, which drew 42.

INSEAD also features an alliance with the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School, allowing INSEAD students to spend one of their five periods studying at the U.S. school. INSEAD has a similar campus exchange with Kellogg as well. These exchanges afford INSEAD students access to those schools’ career management centers as well, which can be especially valuable in terms of making connections to U.S. recruiters for students who are interested in working in consulting in the United States after graduation.

https://www.clearadmit.com/2017/09/choo ... sulting-2/

Seems like you can get also Wharton/Kellogg experience with INSEAD for the price on discount. :-)

Think no more.

In your case, I vote for INSEAD, it's even ideal for you. :cool:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
DI119 You got scholarships from any B school?if yes then which and how much?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [4]
Send PM
Kudos