Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Jan 2010 intake [#permalink]
Kudos
Admissions Tips from INSEAD

MBA Admissions Director Caroline Diarte Edwards talks about the advantages of the globally diverse program, and what it takes to make the cut

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... ss+schools
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Rupkar, CONGRATULATIONS! I would say "a bird in hand is better than two in the bushes". LBS is rated number one according to FT. If I were you I would go for LBS. No reason to risk it.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
many congrats rupker. Without an iota of bias, I can say that you can't really go wrong with LBS. INSEAD and LBS are both outstanding in terms of reputation and placements. One thing that you might want to consider is the program length (LBS 2years vs INSEAD 1year). Many admits who I've spoken to are coming to LBS (instead of other 1year programs) to maximise study time during the downturn.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Rupkar,

INSEAD is more focused on strategy and general management, LBS has more focus on finance, also since London is/was the finance hub of Europe. If you want to go into consulting ASAP then you should choose a school like INSEAD or IMD.

Regarding your problem you should ask INSEAD for an early decision and inform Adcom of your dilemma with LBS. The holiday season started today in France (14th of July) and probably all the staff will be on holiday for the whole month of August (I am used to it from HEC). You are accepted at one of the best b-school on this planet so you can easily ask INSEAD for a decision. LBS's waitlist is long and they will surely not wait for you...

Cheers,

rupkar wrote:
Thank you for your replies!

However, I am still uncertain about LBS. Frankly speaking, if I knew for sure that INSEAD accepted me I would choose it over LBS since it is more focused on general management/consulting than LBS.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I am aiming for 2010 session.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Is it worth it to visit one of them on-campus events? I'm really itching to go and see the school, talk to students, see the town, etc. However I realise I am bored and frustrated at work and would probably make up any excuse in order to justify a couple of days travel around Europe...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 721 [0]
Send PM
50000 Euros for tuition. I think Insead has gone nuts.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
aaron22197 wrote:
50000 Euros for tuition. I think Insead has gone nuts.

Although I agree 50k Euros is an insane amount, it is no different than what similar schools charge:
- IMD costs a little above 50k Euros (in CHF) split between tuition and "all program and project related fees"
- IE and ESADE are marginally below 50k; IESE is at 68k for two years
- Please please do not get me started on LBS.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
I am going to visit the Fonty campus next month (em, November). Anybody else coming?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Even though I am not apping there, INSEAD seems like a great place, made even better by this fantastic report. Great stuff Nerdboy, best of luck for your apps. +1
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Great report, Nerdboy. Kudos!

I'm in for the September '09 intake, but in retrospect I probably should have gone for the January '10 intake instead (especially for the internships and due to work commitments). Oh well, too late now. :)

I was just in Fontainebleau last week and I agree with your assessments about the campus as well. In fact, I visited several schools in Europe, and I'd probably say the INSEAD visit and campus was my favorite. I did not meet as many students due to exams, but my tour with one of the Admissions Coordinator was still pretty useful for assessing the general environment and lifestyle. I heard about the chateau living situations as well -- I think I'd probably go that route, just for the experience.

With regard to language, it definitely seems like basic-level French will still be necessary for daily life in Fonty. I've been to France a few times and I usually make it through by saying in French that I can't speak the language and asking if the person spoke English. If not, then I somehow construct something out of the ten or so phrases that I sorta know. :lol: It's worked every time for me, so I'm not really sure where the stereotype (in America at least) comes from.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
prashok wrote:
I heard about the chateau living situations as well -- I think I'd probably go that route, just for the experience.

Definitely not an option for me. Come on, I will be 30 years old by that time. I imagine trying to get some sleep and my chateau-mates throwing a party till 4 AM... Let's just say that me and whoever comes out alive will not be good friends after graduation. There goes the power of the alumni network...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi Nerdboy,

I've read with pleasure your post regarding INSEAD. I am aiming to apply to INSEAD for January 2010. This year I've done my first GMAT aptent and got completely out of the game. I do need to repeat the test and see if I can get my dream school one day :).

In the meantime because I was so frustrated after my awful GMAT I've focus in my career developemnt and was promoted in November. Hopefully this will help me in the application. I guess I will start using the forum again. I've stopped for half a year, but after reading your post I got strenght again to re-start my study with full energy.

I may visit the campus during the forthcoming year. The game has just started :).
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Carol, best of luck with the GMAT and essays! I'm glad to hear that my post contributes something.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Nerdboy wrote:
Definitely not an option for me. Come on, I will be 30 years old by that time. I imagine trying to get some sleep and my chateau-mates throwing a party till 4 AM... Let's just say that me and whoever comes out alive will not be good friends after graduation. There goes the power of the alumni network...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Given the intensity of the program, it could get pretty frustrating very quickly.

On the plus side, it seems like rent in Fonty shouldn't be too outrageous in general (at least compared to London and Paris), so finding a flat or apartment close to campus in the town centre doesn't seem like it would be difficult.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi All,

I have 3.5 years of full time experience in embedded domain(last 1.5 years in a French based MNC). I am giving GMAT in february 2009. What are my chances at INSEAD. I wanted to apply for Jan'10 intake in the first round. I have less time between GMAT and first round deadline. Shall I wait for second round or shall I put in extra efforts and apply in the first round itself.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Nerdboy wrote:

The admissions people said very explicitly that they are looking for at least 75th percentile quant and 70th percentile verbal. The scaled score does not matter that much, only the percentiles on both section

That's interesting. Does that mean that if an applicant has a score that doesn't match this, they'll reject him/her ?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9