Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Dec 2014, 06:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 41

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 07:16
Thanks SM,

That would be great. Pls keep us posted on the loan/placement side of things.

sm332 wrote:
Sniper -

They are aware of the issues and I would be surprised if they havent explored ways to get around it. The school is smaller and is a standalone management school so perhaps fund raising is not as deep as most other MBA programs.

But I will try and get more details in the coming months. I will share anything interesting I learn with GMATClub

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 10:37
snipertrader wrote:
I know atleast 2 INSEAD grads (2008), who were jobless for quite sometime and then finally took up something for the heck of it to pay their huge edu loans.

On a side note, is it only me who thinks that a school like INSEAD with so much global brand presence cannot tie up with a global financial institution for loans to students?

4test1 wrote:
Am thinking of applying as well.

Have you guys heard anything about recent grad recruitment? Have heard that quite a few INSEAD grads have been without jobs in 2008/09 even 4-5 months after graduation. I'm trying to see if INSEAD has been hit harder relatively, particularly in Asia.

I don't think it's knowing companys, but rather how you keep students from throwing up their hands and defaulting. Places like china or india might not care much about how much money you owe to a french/british bank. And I don't think france has jurisdiction to arrest people in china. I think that's the root of the problem. With citizen's it's easier, china bank can police chinese citizen, yada yada.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 20

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 04:02
I have a question regarding the essays I'm hoping someone can answer (maybe sm332?). I have read/heard that unlike some other schools INSEAD is relatively strict with the essay word count. For other schools I work towards being under 5% over the word limit.

Is anyone able to confirm this?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 08:10
yangsta8 wrote:
I have a question regarding the essays I'm hoping someone can answer (maybe sm332?). I have read/heard that unlike some other schools INSEAD is relatively strict with the essay word count. For other schools I work towards being under 5% over the word limit.

I don't think adcom members count the words, and strike you the moment you go one word over limit. As long as your essays are consistently not too long, you should be fine.
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 16

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 08:05
levfin2003 wrote:
yangsta8 wrote:

I don't think adcom members count the words, and strike you the moment you go one word over limit. As long as your essays are consistently not too long, you should be fine.

THIS ... also the application has a built-in word count calculator so they know instantly how long essays are. My advice would be to be as close to the limit as possible.

Sameer

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 14:57
sm332 wrote:
levfin2003 wrote:
yangsta8 wrote:

THIS ... also the application has a built-in word count calculator so they know instantly how long essays are. My advice would be to be as close to the limit as possible.

Sameer

Oh wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the advice guys
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS(R2) Interview, Kellogg(R2) Admit
WE 1: Hi-Tech
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 03:41
sm332 wrote:
levfin2003 wrote:
yangsta8 wrote:

Sameer

Count me in for R1. I attended 2 information sessions this winter and fell in love with the whole community!
I have just started my essays and the strengths and weakness essay is troubling me! how many strengths should I discuss? Is it better to state examples? What kind of weakness should i discuss? Can someone shed light?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 04:06
I have an essay related question too. The optional essay states "Is there anything that you have not mentioned in the above essays that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? (200 words approx.)".

Other schools seem to suggest that the optional essay should only be used if necessary, to explain a weakness in your application or gap in employment. Too me INSEAD's optional essay is worded in such a way that it can be used to highlight an outstanding achievement or highlight, a weakness (such as GPA or GMAT) or as it states 'anything'. Can anyone confirm this?
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS(R2) Interview, Kellogg(R2) Admit
WE 1: Hi-Tech

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 04:14
yangsta8 wrote:
I have an essay related question too. The optional essay states "Is there anything that you have not mentioned in the above essays that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? (200 words approx.)".

Other schools seem to suggest that the optional essay should only be used if necessary, to explain a weakness in your application or gap in employment. Too me INSEAD's optional essay is worded in such a way that it can be used to highlight an outstanding achievement or highlight, a weakness (such as GPA or GMAT) or as it states 'anything'. Can anyone confirm this?

During the information sessions, the adcom representative clearly mentioned that they love the additional essay if that can help them know you better. This means, you can share a wonderful acheivement or explain reason for a shortcoming or anything!
But obviously do not:
1) Rehash some details that are already present in the other parts of the application
2) Write something to fill the space or to show case your knowledge about the school :)
hope that helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 04:19
highhopes09 wrote:
yangsta8 wrote:

During the information sessions, the adcom representative clearly mentioned that they love the additional essay if that can help them know you better. This means, you can share a wonderful acheivement or explain reason for a shortcoming or anything!
But obviously do not:
1) Rehash some details that are already present in the other parts of the application
2) Write something to fill the space or to show case your knowledge about the school :)
hope that helps

Thanks for that highhopes09. Hearing that from the adcom certainly clarifies things!
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB,INSEAD,Yale,CMU,Darden,UNC
WE 1: Mechanical Engineering - New Product Development (3 years)
WE 2: Market Research & Consulting (less than a year)
WE 3: Mechanical Engineering - New Product Development (2 years)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 02:06
I am applying to R1 for the Jan 2011 intake. Been working on my essays for a month now. I noticed that only the 2 career essays had strict word limits. The other ones had "approx" word limits and most of my essays do go over the limit..not sure how to handle this
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 16

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 07:51
This post received
KUDOS
vishnupr wrote:
I am applying to R1 for the Jan 2011 intake. Been working on my essays for a month now. I noticed that only the 2 career essays had strict word limits. The other ones had "approx" word limits and most of my essays do go over the limit..not sure how to handle this

try not to exceed - having said that INSEAD wont shred your application if you are off by a handful of words. But gross excesses >10% will not be looked at kindly. They get thousand of applications - how would you feel if you were reading hundreds of these in a week?

Current Student

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 09:13
yangsta8 wrote:
highhopes09 wrote:
yangsta8 wrote:

But obviously do not:
hope that helps

Thanks for that highhopes09. Hearing that from the adcom certainly clarifies things!

Interesting to note, the marketing people do info session, not adcoms. They make it completely seperate.
Current Student

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 10:32
Quote:
Interesting to note, the marketing people do info session, not adcoms. They make it completely seperate.

Yes - the marketing folks take great pains to indicate that they have no input to the admissions process and hope that it allows prospectives students to be as candid as possible.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 05:24
Another application question :) I notice INSEAD doesn't ask for a resume. I've been trying to give a full picture of my current job in the first essay.

My essays are all generally written in prose/essay format. To fit in more, I'm thinking of using bullet points for the first career essay. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether that is bad?
Current Student

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 09:24
yangsta8 wrote:
Another application question :) I notice INSEAD doesn't ask for a resume. I've been trying to give a full picture of my current job in the first essay.

My essays are all generally written in prose/essay format. To fit in more, I'm thinking of using bullet points for the first career essay. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether that is bad?

I never thought about using bullets. But I dont think it would be 'wrong'.

Current Student

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 09:36
yangsta8 wrote:

I would say don't to anything too usual since they value themselves as professional. I think insead is more traditional in essay. Bullet points would probably seem less professional as an "essay"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 14:18
Thanks for your views on this sm332 and GoBruins. I have already written it in the traditional essay sense.

Might see how it looks in bullet points but I suspect the adcoms are also testing your ability to succinctly describe your job in prose. Bullet points might make it too 'resume like' and clinical.
Intern
Intern

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 22:36
Hi,

I would like to understand how I could make my application stronger in case I want to move to Business/Strategic Consulting after my MBA. My profile is:
GMAT: 730/5.0
IELTS: 8.0
B.Eng. (IT) - 78%, BIT Ranchi.
Wex - 4.5 yrs IT / 1.5 yrs in UK
ECs - Good

Evidently I don't have much of consulting experience but while at client-site, I was working as analyst and programmer in a few consulting projects working closely with consultants from our firm. Will providing this information in essays add more weight to my application. Above that, how good are my chances to get through INSEAD? Could you also share your profile pre-MBA and post-MBA. Did you take up the Singapore or the France campus and does it make any difference (academically and professionaly) which campus one selects?

I plan to apply to INSEAD-Jan '11 session. I am considering INSEAD as a very serious option for my career development, any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vivek.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 02:57
jaiswalvivek wrote:
Hi,

I would like to understand how I could make my application stronger in case I want to move to Business/Strategic Consulting after my MBA. My profile is:
GMAT: 730/5.0
IELTS: 8.0
B.Eng. (IT) - 78%, BIT Ranchi.
Wex - 4.5 yrs IT / 1.5 yrs in UK
ECs - Good

Evidently I don't have much of consulting experience but while at client-site, I was working as analyst and programmer in a few consulting projects working closely with consultants from our firm. Will providing this information in essays add more weight to my application. Above that, how good are my chances to get through INSEAD? Could you also share your profile pre-MBA and post-MBA. Did you take up the Singapore or the France campus and does it make any difference (academically and professionaly) which campus one selects?

I plan to apply to INSEAD-Jan '11 session. I am considering INSEAD as a very serious option for my career development, any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vivek.

Vivek - I am not aware of anyone on the board who is currently attending INSEAD. There are various admits who are about to start though so I'm not sure if all your questions can be answered.

The only ones I can help out with is the location one, based on my own discussions with alumni and information gathered through adcom interviews. The academic experience of the two campuses have been strong emphasised as pretty much identical. Inspecting the website reveals that there are one or two courses unique to each location but that the majority are the same. Furthermore, moving from one campus to another is supposedly seemless.

Adcoms make it clear that they do not look at your campus choice as criteria for admissions, and you only need to specify a starting campus. The majority of students switch between campuses during the year.

My alumni friends tell me that where you finish, or do your internship, has a bearing on your professional career. If you're interested in a european career finishing/interning in Fonty makes more sense, likewise if you're interested in a career in Asia Pacific perhaps Singapore might make more sense.

I can't really comment on your chances because I'm in currently applying as well. Good luck and hope that helps a bit :)
Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2010, 02:57