Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 18:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
7 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: INSEAD (Starting Jan 2011)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 36 [7] , given: 3

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 23:42
This post received
KUDOS
Ok, here's my coles notes version of my current journey for you R2 applicants. Good luck!

What my former boss (and insead interviewer) said the interviewers would be looking for:
Can you articulate the INSEAD value proposition?
What is your story to date and what is the going forward picture? How does INSEAD/the MBA fit in?
What do you bring to the table? Is it industry knowledge? International outlook? Etc.
Do you have poise and confidence in your communication?
Based on the interview, your interviewer needs to be able to answer these four questions. The fourth one mainly comes through when you turn it into a conversation and not have it a one way interview.

First interview:
Interviewer: Director at an Investment Bank
He hadn’t reviewed my profile prior to meeting and asked me to articulate my career history to date. We spent some time with me explaining the kind of work I do as it was very different from his line of work. He also asked my future plans and why I needed the MBA to get there, and why INSEAD. We used the whole hour, and he was genuinely a nice guy.

Second interview:
Interviewer: VP at a large North American products company
She had read everything I sent her – my profile, my essays, and my 1 page CV. We didn’t spend any time talking about where I’ve been and instead focused on where I’m going and why INSEAD. We spent about 15 min talking about her current job and it was completely conversational. By the end, she told me I shouldn’t have any problem getting in.

Information session/Campus visit:
I visited both the fonty campus and went to two of the information sessions in Canada. Basically, the same information was presented at all three, except the campus visit was good to get a feel for Fontainbleau itself and get a feel for how international the class was really likely to be. They all talked about how international their alumni network is, and how they were seeing trends of ppl going into industry instead of the traditional consulting and banking fields. They displayed a list of their most prominent recruiters. Showed one student life video – an insead dash in s’pore (you can search youtube for this)

Application Pointers:
The most important part for ppl applying is their explanation of how profiles are scored. 25% academics, 25% leadership potential, 25% international outlook, 25% ability to contribute. Academics are almost exclusively focused on GMAT. Not so focused on the total GMAT score, more focused on the verbal & quant percentiles. 70-75 percentile is the general minimum across V and Q, but exceptional strengths in other areas of your app may compensate. Leadership potential may include teams you actually lead, displaying leadership styles, and your ability to move up relative to your industry/peers/country (e.g. a Japanese accountant might move up a lot more slowly than a North American consultant working for IBM – key is you’re getting promoted in time or ahead of your peers relative to your profile). International outlook can be stuff like how many passports you have, how much you’ve lived/worked/studied in other countries, how many languages you speak, etc. Ability to contribute is somewhat linked to your diversity profile, but not the same thing. Things you contribute might be your knowledge of diff business functions, industries, or general backgrounds. Extremes of ability to contribute might be indian engineer who has never worked with international clients or stepped outside the country vs a top ivy undergrad turned international concert pianist that ran her own brand as a business and was active in its management. Overall, if you can weave the 3 non-academic areas together throughout your essays as much as possible, you have the possibility for a very strong app. The reason why I say possibility is because it comes down to your actual experiences, your writing style, and the experiences you choose to put in. It's possible that your actual experiences could get you in, but the latter two could hold you back and you may get dinged before your interview invite.

My spreadsheet:
I've stopped actively collecting profiles across bweek and gmatclub boards for the R2&R3 applicants, but anyone else is more than welcome to keep the spreadsheet up to date, and I encourage those who already have their information in the spreadsheet to update it. Thanks!

Here are a collection of what I thought were my more helpful posts:

PM me and let me know if these helped!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Insead
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 01:03
sinhadee, Appreciate your inputs.. Are you also applying for R2?

Hankscorpio, Fantastic post.. All the best!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 02:58
Has the R1 list got finalized? Heard from someone that they have made the list of admitted candidates! Hard to believe though..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 03:01
kaushikb wrote:
Has the R1 list got finalized? Heard from someone that they have made the list of admitted candidates! Hard to believe though..

Have you heard from the adcom itself? Or is it some insider news?
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 03:15
Nothing official. Heard it from a friend who is an alum.. not sure though.. wanted to chk if anyone else has heard smthg??
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD: Waitlisted Jan 2010, Interview invite Jan 2011.
WE 1: Banking

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 03:28
kaushikb wrote:
Nothing official. Heard it from a friend who is an alum.. not sure though.. wanted to chk if anyone else has heard smthg??

extremely unlikely that the admit list is already ready with Adcom. The interview deadline itself is 21st May for some ppl on this forum! - this is just another rumor I would think.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 03:48
Hope so friends. Lets hope for the best

cheers
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 04:15
How would an Alum come to know about it? Alums are not involved in the final decision making process right? Also, if they are they would be tied to ethical obligations.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 04:42
artgirl wrote:
How would an Alum come to know about it? Alums are not involved in the final decision making process right? Also, if they are they would be tied to ethical obligations.

Actually alumni are a part of the final admissions committee; the committee, comprised of faculty, alumni and admissions staff, decides whether to accept or reject each candidate..

...so the rumor just might be correct this time

dont know about others but this wait is getting quite hard for me!!

http://mba.insead.edu/admissions/applic ... rocess.cfm
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 05:52
Sinhadee,
Interesting! Thanks for letting me know. Yeah, I agree. This wait is painful.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 05:58
artgirl wrote:
Sinhadee,

well problem for me, i just got my second interviewer late last week, and doing my interview this week for the 21st deadline...

:(
Current Student
Schools: HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 06:37
vodkacran wrote:
artgirl wrote:
Sinhadee,

well problem for me, i just got my second interviewer late last week, and doing my interview this week for the 21st deadline...

:(

Don't worry about it. The list if probably 95% complete, with the few people that still need to do their interview as a 'question mark' ... unless of course it's a clear cut case, either positive or negative. You'll have an equal chance, no worries.

By the way, great post Hankscorpio. +1 Kudos. ;-)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 06:43
All----for the "can we contact your current employer" question, do most end up saying yes? I can not have them contact my current employer. Thanks for the input...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 06:44
tihor wrote:
All----for the "can we contact your current employer" question, do most end up saying yes? I can not have them contact my current employer. Thanks for the input...

Well I said No :)
Current Student

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 06:53
tihor wrote:

They ask the question for a reason. There are situations where it can harm your personal situation if INSEAD contacts your current employer. INSEAD is aware of that, and I'm convinced they won't hold it against you.

What could happen is that one of your interviewers asks 'Why shouldn't we contact your current employer?'. (Not sure the question is in the part you have to send to your interviewers, but I sent my full application anyway) Just have a good explanation ready (other than, ''my current employer thinks I'm crap and is about to fire me'' ;-)), and I wouldn't worry too much about it then.
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD - Jan 2011

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 06:53
vodkacran wrote:
tihor wrote:

Same here, I said "no" even if one of my recommendations came from my boss... I wonder if that changes anything.
Current Student

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 06:56
Rakham wrote:
vodkacran wrote:
tihor wrote:

Same here, I said "no" even if one of my recommendations came from my boss... I wonder if that changes anything.

You made me curious now - Why did you say no then? :-)
Current Student
Schools: INSEAD (Starting Jan 2011)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 3

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 07:06
indranilroyc wrote:
Hankscorpio, Fantastic post.. All the best!

Suker wrote:
By the way, great post Hankscorpio. +1 Kudos. ;-)

Thanks! Trying to do my part to give back since this forum helps me keep my sanity... or it might actually feed my insanity in terms of the wait for 2 more weeks.

@monkeypunch - I have been thinking about finances, and I have a plan other than just "go into debt and hope for the best" or "shoot for scholarships and pray". But I don't want to talk about it in the open until I get the final answer from the adcom, and take some steps towards putting it into action. And no, for those of you with stereotypes about Canada, I am not going into the business of selling marijuana. :wink:

Here are a collection of what I thought were my more helpful posts:

PM me and let me know if these helped!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 07:29
tihor wrote:

Thanks for the responses everyone. I can not tell my manager because January would be a bad time for me to leave work, if something good happened :-) telling them now would mess with what work I can potentially do for them.

Another matter, I am going to get my first recommendation from an ex-marketing manager from my current office. She was laid off late last year. And the second rec from an ex indirect manager/ direct supervisor on projects from my last job. Does this sound reasonable? Or does it raise flags? I will be asking my current direct manager for recs for my fall applications...
Schools: INSEAD- D '11 Class
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 09:10
Hey guys and girls. The wait is also killing me! What is everyone doing to make the wait easier?

Also, for those who want to start in Fonty - have you started thinking about housing options? This might be too early to start thinking about the logistical issues but I'm debating whether to try to live in a chateau or in an apartment near campus.. Anyone has any insight? I don't plan on shipping my car to Fonty so I will have to find a way to transport myself to and from campus. Maybe I will get a bike but I can't imagine the trip pleasant in winter...
Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE   [#permalink] 17 May 2010, 09:10