Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 09:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 33
Location: Switzerland
Schools: INSEAD - Jan 2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 09:21
Suker wrote:
You made me curious now - Why did you say no then? :-)


Aha! I work for a "small" company and I have 2 bosses: one direct and one for projects... I wasn't sure who they would call, so I just checked the "no" box. Better safe than sorry.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 99
Schools: INSEAD (Starting Jan 2011)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 3

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 11:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
JZHANG2008 wrote:
Hey guys and girls. The wait is also killing me! What is everyone doing to make the wait easier?

Also, for those who want to start in Fonty - have you started thinking about housing options? This might be too early to start thinking about the logistical issues but I'm debating whether to try to live in a chateau or in an apartment near campus.. Anyone has any insight? I don't plan on shipping my car to Fonty so I will have to find a way to transport myself to and from campus. Maybe I will get a bike but I can't imagine the trip pleasant in winter...


I've been thinking about housing options and have pushed my thoughts off to the side completely, including thoughts of laptops, until I hear back. Forcing myself to try and not accept it into my head yet. :?

As for making the wait easier, I am considering backup plans, and backup plans of backup plans. It might be an odd way to approach it, but getting a sense of what I'm going to do next no matter what the outcome helps. Either way, I'm looking at change - it's just a matter of which path I will take. When I have two or three baskets to distribute the eggs between, it takes the edge off the wait.
_________________

Here are a collection of what I thought were my more helpful posts:

PM me and let me know if these helped!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 33
Location: Switzerland
Schools: INSEAD - Jan 2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 12:36
JZHANG2008 wrote:
Hey guys and girls. The wait is also killing me! What is everyone doing to make the wait easier?

Also, for those who want to start in Fonty - have you started thinking about housing options? This might be too early to start thinking about the logistical issues but I'm debating whether to try to live in a chateau or in an apartment near campus.. Anyone has any insight? I don't plan on shipping my car to Fonty so I will have to find a way to transport myself to and from campus. Maybe I will get a bike but I can't imagine the trip pleasant in winter...


Working as much as I can... staying focused on my work makes the day pass incredibly fast.
J-11 :lol:
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 72
Location: Seattle, WA
Schools: INSEAD- D '11 Class
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 14:52
Hi, Rakham. Good for you for being able to focus at work. I find it super hard to concentrate on my work at this moment. :oops: I just found out that my boss has been demoted and replaced with an outside hire. This change has been really discouraging to my entire team.

I like HankScorpio's approach too. It's probably best to not get my hopes up. I've been contemplating about my backup plans. But I really hope that they wouldn't be necessary.

Anyhow, another 10 business days to go.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 20
Schools: INSEAD (Accepted 11J)
WE 1: 4 yrs Fortune 500
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 20:49
JZHANG2008 wrote:
I don't plan on shipping my car to Fonty so I will have to find a way to transport myself to and from campus. Maybe I will get a bike but I can't imagine the trip pleasant in winter...


I'm planning on biking, but I have a wife and two kids who will need something more!

My interviewer told me that Renault has a super easy lease program that he and several students used to get cars for the time in Fonty.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 61
Schools: INSEAD: Waitlisted Jan 2010, Interview invite Jan 2011.
WE 1: Banking
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 20:58
honus100 wrote:
JZHANG2008 wrote:
I don't plan on shipping my car to Fonty so I will have to find a way to transport myself to and from campus. Maybe I will get a bike but I can't imagine the trip pleasant in winter...


I'm planning on biking, but I have a wife and two kids who will need something more!

My interviewer told me that Renault has a super easy lease program that he and several students used to get cars for the time in Fonty.


The self-confidence/optimism seems to be at it's peak on this group! :-) I hope this entire group is able to make it.....

I also understand that there are accommodation options quite close to campus (i.e. non-chateau) which are a walking distance. So one can save on the car expenses. My interviewer did the same and did not have to buy/rent a car for the 2 periods he stayed in Fonty.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 70
Schools: INSEAD- WL, IE - Apr 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 00:58
Feels good to see the level of optimism in this group. I feel really distracted at work, it's gonna be a tough wait these next few days!

Talking about hiring a car, does anyone know if it's possible to convert an Indian Driving License to French without much hassles?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 58
Schools: HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 02:15
hsourabh wrote:
Feels good to see the level of optimism in this group. I feel really distracted at work, it's gonna be a tough wait these next few days!

Talking about hiring a car, does anyone know if it's possible to convert an Indian Driving License to French without much hassles?


Based on a 5 minute google search, I actually don't think it is possible to convert an Indian Driving License to a French Driving license. If I'm not mistaking, most European countries don't recognize Indian Driving Licenses. (I have a few Indian friends who actually bought their driving license in India without taking much of a test, so I can see why :-) )

For more info: http://www.lepermis.com/Pages/Informat/informat.htm ==> "Pas D'echange" means "No Exchange".
Not sure whether they have a page in English though.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 58
Schools: HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 02:22
tihor wrote:
tihor wrote:
All----for the "can we contact your current employer" question, do most end up saying yes? I can not have them contact my current employer. Thanks for the input...


Thanks for the responses everyone. I can not tell my manager because January would be a bad time for me to leave work, if something good happened :-) telling them now would mess with what work I can potentially do for them.

Another matter, I am going to get my first recommendation from an ex-marketing manager from my current office. She was laid off late last year. And the second rec from an ex indirect manager/ direct supervisor on projects from my last job. Does this sound reasonable? Or does it raise flags? I will be asking my current direct manager for recs for my fall applications...


As long as both managers worked with you intensively and can write you a solid recom letter, I don't see why they shouldn't be fine. If your second recommender was both your indirect manager and direct supervisor on certain projects, it's probably best to position him as direct supervisor. I wouldn't file two recommendation letters from indirect managers. Not sure what's INSEAD's position on that though, it's more a 'personal' comment from my side.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 02:39
Suker wrote:
tihor wrote:
tihor wrote:
All----for the "can we contact your current employer" question, do most end up saying yes? I can not have them contact my current employer. Thanks for the input...


Thanks for the responses everyone. I can not tell my manager because January would be a bad time for me to leave work, if something good happened :-) telling them now would mess with what work I can potentially do for them.

Another matter, I am going to get my first recommendation from an ex-marketing manager from my current office. She was laid off late last year. And the second rec from an ex indirect manager/ direct supervisor on projects from my last job. Does this sound reasonable? Or does it raise flags? I will be asking my current direct manager for recs for my fall applications...


As long as both managers worked with you intensively and can write you a solid recom letter, I don't see why they shouldn't be fine. If your second recommender was both your indirect manager and direct supervisor on certain projects, it's probably best to position him as direct supervisor. I wouldn't file two recommendation letters from indirect managers. Not sure what's INSEAD's position on that though, it's more a 'personal' comment from my side.


Just to add my 2 cents worth...

I dont think it really matters who your recommenders are, but at least one should know you in a business context. I guess they understand that not everyone can be open with their employers on their plans for pursuing an MBA as it means that you're going to leave

tihor - I think we've used relatively the same recommenders, mine were 1) my regional head (boss's boss) and 2) my ex-manager... so both of them technically arent my direct managers. INSEAD didnt make an issue of it though so I think its fine. I did tick the box that it was ok for them to contact my recommenders since my management knows and is supportive of me pursuing an MBA

Caveat; the teams were rather small, about 8 for SE Asia and 7 for N. Asia, so its rather tight knit... and we see our regional head loads... so he's kinda like a direct supervisor since I ultimately report to him.

Just to follow up from Suker's post, I think what is key is that both your recommenders have a very strong feel for your achievements during your career and know you well enough that they have both enough to say about you as well as examples to back them up. This will allow for them to write solid and believable recommendations for you.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 99
Schools: INSEAD (Starting Jan 2011)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 36 [2] , given: 3

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 14:00
2
This post received
KUDOS
I'll throw in my thoughts here too to help with the R2/R3's. My 1st recommender was my direct manager, but since the application has left the company I work for. My 2nd recommender was a client, but I provided leadership and direction to her team.

To help you out, I have attached the reference questions. You should expect your references to be able to answer these questions very specifically, from experience, and from a work or extremely work-relevant context. As you can see, almost all questions are focused on leadership progress and potential. If they can also anchor to international outlook and ability to contribute, they would be bonus points. But don't fool yourself when choosing your references. If you think you have to coach your reference from the bottom up so they can say that they understand your career progress and focus, then they probably aren't the best person as they can't speak from experience. And I echo the previous messages - at least one, if not both, should be work references. Pretend you're on the adcom - if the only references you have for a candidate are from a clergyman and from a boyscout lead, that would raise flags compared to the candidate who provided their direct boss at work and the earthquake relief coordinator at the red cross (who was the direct supervisor during the volunteer stint). You can see based on the questions below how different candidates will shine.

    1. Comment on the candidate’s career progress to date and his/her career focus.
    2. What do you consider to be the candidate’s major strengths? Comment on the factors that distinguish the candidate from other individuals at his/her level.
    3. What do you consider to be the candidate’s major weaknesses?
    4. Comment on the candidate’s potential for senior management. Do you see him/her as a future leader?
    5. Describe the candidate as a person. Comment on his/her ability to establish and maintain relationships, sensitivity to others, self-confidence, attitude, etc. Specifically comment on the candidate's behaviour or skills in a group setting/team environment.

_________________

Here are a collection of what I thought were my more helpful posts:

PM me and let me know if these helped!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2010
Posts: 8
WE 1: 6 Yrs IT dev
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 19:22
Hi HankScorpio,

I appreciate your voluntary effort to collect applicant profiles. You do a good deed for us folks.

My profile, Chinese, 6Yr w/e in IT development, 3 yr as mgr, G:750, GPA:3.7
I am in R2. Please add me to your list. Can i access your spreadsheet? I have +Kuodo to you :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 May 2010
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 04:12
Forum seems very quiet.... Does INSEAD notify certain applicants few days ahead of the deadline date? or is it exactly on the deadline date?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 33
Location: Switzerland
Schools: INSEAD - Jan 2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 04:29
artgirl wrote:
Forum seems very quiet.... Does INSEAD notify certain applicants few days ahead of the deadline date? or is it exactly on the deadline date?


Well I'm trying not to think ybout it... Alumni's told me it was on the exact date. However, it seems that many things have changed in this process since previous years.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 58
Schools: HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 04:37
artgirl wrote:
Forum seems very quiet.... Does INSEAD notify certain applicants few days ahead of the deadline date? or is it exactly on the deadline date?


INSEAD does notify sometimes before the exact deadline. I received the good news 3 days before the official notification date by phone. (Round 2 - Sept 2010 intake)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2009
Posts: 71
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 05:04
artgirl wrote:
Forum seems very quiet.... Does INSEAD notify certain applicants few days ahead of the deadline date? or is it exactly on the deadline date?



Hi artgirl, I have heard that INSEAD does start sending out their admit calls/mails atleast one week before the deadline.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 70
Schools: INSEAD- WL, IE - Apr 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 06:41
Suker wrote:
INSEAD does notify sometimes before the exact deadline. I received the good news 3 days before the official notification date by phone. (Round 2 - Sept 2010 intake)


Hi Suker, did you also receive an official email confirmation soon after the phone call?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 58
Schools: HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 06:44
hsourabh wrote:
Suker wrote:
INSEAD does notify sometimes before the exact deadline. I received the good news 3 days before the official notification date by phone. (Round 2 - Sept 2010 intake)


Hi Suker, did you also receive an official email confirmation soon after the phone call?


Yes I did. Over the phone they said "You'll receive the official email confirmation in a few days", but I actually received it like an hour after the phonecall.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 06:52
ramanathanblue wrote:

Hi artgirl, I have heard that INSEAD does start sending out their admit calls/mails atleast one week before the deadline.


I may be wrong, but the trend I came across (i really needed to do something to keep busy) was as follows:

Interview notifications: start approx a week before the final date
Admit notifications: start approx 3 days before the final date
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 58
Schools: HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 07:09
sinhadee wrote:
ramanathanblue wrote:

Hi artgirl, I have heard that INSEAD does start sending out their admit calls/mails atleast one week before the deadline.


I may be wrong, but the trend I came across (i really needed to do something to keep busy) was as follows:

Interview notifications: start approx a week before the final date
Admit notifications: start approx 3 days before the final date


I can second that. I haven't heard about anyone receiving the interview and notification earlier than that.
I got my interview invitation exactly 1 week in advance.
Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE   [#permalink] 19 May 2010, 07:09
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Differences in INSEAD September and January Intakes swissmix 2 23 Mar 2012, 11:14
Experts publish their posts in the topic INSEAD January 2012 Intake Waitlist Ekleptik 217 23 Jun 2011, 10:44
INSEAD SEPTEMBER 2011 Intake aljatar 0 27 Jan 2011, 02:47
January 2011 intake? ayo 0 13 Aug 2010, 00:14
91 INSEAD SEPTEMBER 2011 Intake happyls 1486 16 Jun 2010, 18:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  21   22   23   24   25   26   27  ...  70    Next  [ 1396 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.