Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2009
Posts: 71
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 07:11
Suker wrote:
sinhadee wrote:
ramanathanblue wrote:

Hi artgirl, I have heard that INSEAD does start sending out their admit calls/mails atleast one week before the deadline.


I may be wrong, but the trend I came across (i really needed to do something to keep busy) was as follows:

Interview notifications: start approx a week before the final date
Admit notifications: start approx 3 days before the final date


I can second that. I haven't heard about anyone receiving the interview and notification earlier than that.
I got my interview invitation exactly 1 week in advance.



oops :shock: :oops: :oops: then I must have got it wrong and probably read it in some unreliable source.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 24
Schools: LBS (dinged), INSEAD (Jan.2011)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 07:48
Hey everyone,
I did not see that forum 3 months back when I also applied for the January 2011 intake for INSEAD but it is interesting to see that we are now all in the same situation. Two weeks ago I had my two interviews directly here in Germany and my experience was absolutely the same. Very nice interview partners following a common question guideline from INSEAD. The second one even said that he will recommend me to INSEAD as ghe thinks that I perfectly fit in there. No idea whether he was just teasing me or whether it was really true.

So waiting is always the worst time. And yes it is hard not to think already one step further about accomodation, additional language courses for 3rd language and computer equipment, but work definitely helps a lot :-) Really looking forward to next friday and keeping the fingers crossed for us all.

By the way I also heard that they are very strict concerning the final feedback whether one is admitted or not. I was already quite surpised when I got interview feedback two weeks before end of the deadline.
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 72
Location: Seattle, WA
Schools: INSEAD- D '11 Class
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 08:18
Hi, guys and girls. It's great to see that the forum is active! Let's keep up the good work.

Now I want to start a discussion on which campus you choose to start and whether you plan to do the campus exchange and if so, when do you plan to do the exchange. Also does anyone plan to do the Wharton exchange?

Here is my plan: start in Fonty and then exchange to Singapore in either P3 or P4. My goal is to end up in Asia after graduation. :-D Does anyone have insights into whether it matters in terms of recruiting which period I do the exchange to Singapore?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 24
Schools: LBS (dinged), INSEAD (Jan.2011)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 08:35
More or the less the same plan. Start in Fonty and go to Singapore either P3, P4 or both. What I have heard so far is that you should be in P4 and P5 at the location where you want to work afterwards as this makes it easier for the job interviews.

Talking about Wharten everyone that I was talking to told me not to waste points for the Wharton exchange as it is not wort it. Especially as you are put into a class that has a complete different study year and it is hard to fit into the student body there. So definitely a 'no' to Wharton from my side :-) Rather spend one more term in Sing.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Posts: 10
Location: Washington DC
Schools: Yale SOM (admit), Insead 11D Rd I
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 08:52
One thing for any Americans to watch for: according to the INSEAD website, Singapore isn't eligible for US financial aid programs. As a result, American aid recipients need to start in Fonty, and can only spend one period in Singapore.

http://mba.insead.edu/financing/funding_by_country.cfm

To be fair though, spending any time whatsoever on the Singapore campus would be awesome....
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 72
Location: Seattle, WA
Schools: INSEAD- D '11 Class
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 09:02
Hey stk, great to hear that you plan to start in Fonty too. :0) You raised an interesting point about the Wharton exchange. Since I am based in the US, I was not particularly interested about the Wharton exchange. But still it's interesting to hear about the culture differences between the Wharton kids and the INSEADers.

I am also looking forward to spend a few periods in Singapore. I think the sunny weather will be a nice contrast to having spent a few periods in the Frosty Fonty campus. :wink:
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 72
Location: Seattle, WA
Schools: INSEAD- D '11 Class
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 09:05
Hey GBH,

Thanks for bring up the scholarship point. I definitely wasn't aware that the Singapore campus was not included in the US financial aid program. Well, this might change my plans slightly..... so what if I want to spend more than one period in singapore, does it mean that I wouldn't qualify for US financial aid from the Dept of Ed?

JZ
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Posts: 10
Location: Washington DC
Schools: Yale SOM (admit), Insead 11D Rd I
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 09:26
JZ,

I think it may be saying that only one term is allowed for anyone receiving aid. That said, I'm really running off of what I found in the Financial Aid/ US section, under the .PDF (attached below). I will also admit that I made this discovery pretty recently, so I haven't been able to independently confirm this with INSEAD students. According to the doc, certification of the Singapore campus has been pending since 2005, so theoretically it could still be approved.

At the moment, I'm hoping I'm misunderstanding the whole thing and there's a way to spend two terms off campus. Well, that and that I will magically have a favorable admissions decision arrive in my email inbox ASAP.... :)

Cheers!
Attachments

USLoansGuidelines2010V1.pdf [119.03 KiB]
Downloaded 34 times

To download please login or register as a user

Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 72
Location: Seattle, WA
Schools: INSEAD- D '11 Class
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 09:36
Hi, GBH.

Thanks for including the link. I truly hope that we and our fellow gmat clubbers will receive good news next week! :0)

If I receive good news, I will definitely reach out to my interviewers to find out how they managed their finances (if they relied on US student financial aid) while doing the campus exchange.

But right now I need to buckle down and not think too far out into the future. I see that you also have an admit offer from Yale - congrats. If admitted to both schools, which one would you attend?

JZ
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 May 2010
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 10:07
stk wrote:
Hey everyone,
I did not see that forum 3 months back when I also applied for the January 2011 intake for INSEAD but it is interesting to see that we are now all in the same situation. Two weeks ago I had my two interviews directly here in Germany and my experience was absolutely the same. Very nice interview partners following a common question guideline from INSEAD. The second one even said that he will recommend me to INSEAD as ghe thinks that I perfectly fit in there. No idea whether he was just teasing me or whether it was really true.

So waiting is always the worst time. And yes it is hard not to think already one step further about accomodation, additional language courses for 3rd language and computer equipment, but work definitely helps a lot :-) Really looking forward to next friday and keeping the fingers crossed for us all.

By the way I also heard that they are very strict concerning the final feedback whether one is admitted or not. I was already quite surpised when I got interview feedback two weeks before end of the deadline.


Hi stk, Could you explain on what you meant by "final feedback". Is it the writtern feedback from the interviewers?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 24
Schools: LBS (dinged), INSEAD (Jan.2011)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 01:44
artgirl wrote:
stk wrote:
Hey everyone,
I did not see that forum 3 months back when I also applied for the January 2011 intake for INSEAD but it is interesting to see that we are now all in the same situation. Two weeks ago I had my two interviews directly here in Germany and my experience was absolutely the same. Very nice interview partners following a common question guideline from INSEAD. The second one even said that he will recommend me to INSEAD as ghe thinks that I perfectly fit in there. No idea whether he was just teasing me or whether it was really true.

So waiting is always the worst time. And yes it is hard not to think already one step further about accomodation, additional language courses for 3rd language and computer equipment, but work definitely helps a lot :-) Really looking forward to next friday and keeping the fingers crossed for us all.

By the way I also heard that they are very strict concerning the final feedback whether one is admitted or not. I was already quite surpised when I got interview feedback two weeks before end of the deadline.


Hi stk, Could you explain on what you meant by "final feedback". Is it the writtern feedback from the interviewers?


Sorry for the confusion. I just meant that they will be very sharp about the deadline for letting us know whether we are in or not. So I do not expect the get any feedback before 29th. That is the 'final feedback' to us :-)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 May 2010
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 04:24
Thanks STK :) :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2010
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 06:32
Hi,

I am new to the gmatclub. I am in the same boat as several of you here waiting for the final decision. I am based in NY working in the financial sector and have about 6 years of experience. I have just been reading some interesting interview experiences and thought will share my experience as well. The first interview went really well and it was more of general questions - "Why MBA? Why INSEAD?....". The second one didn't go well and there was a lot of cross-questioning right from the start. The interviewer didn't sound too satisfied with some of my explanations. How much weightage is assigned to the interviews? Is it a strict "NO" if one of the interviewers doesn't provide good feedback?

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2009
Posts: 71
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 06:35
is anyone interested in the wharton exchange?
any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 70
Schools: INSEAD- WL, IE - Apr 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 07:54
kruizer wrote:
Hi,

I am new to the gmatclub. I am in the same boat as several of you here waiting for the final decision. I am based in NY working in the financial sector and have about 6 years of experience. I have just been reading some interesting interview experiences and thought will share my experience as well. The first interview went really well and it was more of general questions - "Why MBA? Why INSEAD?....". The second one didn't go well and there was a lot of cross-questioning right from the start. The interviewer didn't sound too satisfied with some of my explanations. How much weightage is assigned to the interviews? Is it a strict "NO" if one of the interviewers doesn't provide good feedback?

Cheers!


Hi Kruizer,
I'd say I am on the same raft as you because your interview experiences are similar to mine. However, I'd suggest not to read too much at this point. Some interviewers try to sound sarcastic as a way of judging the participant. I've read about instances where people got selected even after facing a hostile interviewer. So just try to remain optimistic (though it's easier said than done, I am getting jitters too!).
And so far what I've read, interviews are very important part of INSEAD application.
Cheers, SH
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 99
Schools: INSEAD (Starting Jan 2011)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 3

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 08:16
iceferret wrote:
Hi HankScorpio,

I appreciate your voluntary effort to collect applicant profiles. You do a good deed for us folks.

My profile, Chinese, 6Yr w/e in IT development, 3 yr as mgr, G:750, GPA:3.7
I am in R2. Please add me to your list. Can i access your spreadsheet? I have +Kuodo to you :)


Added your profile - pm me your email address and I'll add you.
_________________

Here are a collection of what I thought were my more helpful posts:

PM me and let me know if these helped!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2010
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 10:18
hsourabh wrote:
kruizer wrote:
Hi,

I am new to the gmatclub. I am in the same boat as several of you here waiting for the final decision. I am based in NY working in the financial sector and have about 6 years of experience. I have just been reading some interesting interview experiences and thought will share my experience as well. The first interview went really well and it was more of general questions - "Why MBA? Why INSEAD?....". The second one didn't go well and there was a lot of cross-questioning right from the start. The interviewer didn't sound too satisfied with some of my explanations. How much weightage is assigned to the interviews? Is it a strict "NO" if one of the interviewers doesn't provide good feedback?

Cheers!


Hi Kruizer,
I'd say I am on the same raft as you because your interview experiences are similar to mine. However, I'd suggest not to read too much at this point. Some interviewers try to sound sarcastic as a way of judging the participant. I've read about instances where people got selected even after facing a hostile interviewer. So just try to remain optimistic (though it's easier said than done, I am getting jitters too!).
And so far what I've read, interviews are very important part of INSEAD application.
Cheers, SH


Hi Sourabh,

That's definitely very encouraging. To add to things, the last thing he asked was - "What if you don't make it to INSEAD?". I understand that this is a standard question but the timing was just at the end of the session (after my questions to him) :) Anyway, will keep you posted. Good luck to you as well!

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 20
Schools: INSEAD (Accepted 11J)
WE 1: 4 yrs Fortune 500
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 11:18
rishiphadke wrote:
honus100 wrote:
JZHANG2008 wrote:
I don't plan on shipping my car to Fonty so I will have to find a way to transport myself to and from campus. Maybe I will get a bike but I can't imagine the trip pleasant in winter...


I'm planning on biking, but I have a wife and two kids who will need something more!

My interviewer told me that Renault has a super easy lease program that he and several students used to get cars for the time in Fonty.


The self-confidence/optimism seems to be at it's peak on this group! :-) I hope this entire group is able to make it.....



You're right, we are an optimistic bunch... I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst, but then I find myself planning and speaking as if I've already been accepted!

With that in mind, I assume everyone has taken a look at the elective courses. Which ones are you most interested in? Personally, I'm very interested in Explorations in Social Entrepreneurship. What an incredible opportunity to interact with businesses at the "base of the pyramid." It's an area I'd like to be involved in after graduation.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 May 2010
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 12:35
kruizer, Most probably we had the same interviewer :wink:
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 99
Schools: INSEAD (Starting Jan 2011)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 3

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 13:07
ramanathanblue wrote:
is anyone interested in the wharton exchange?
any thoughts?


I'm personally not interested in the wharton exchange, but I will pass along what one of my interviewers told me.

In the past, the wharton classes were poorly developed, because wharton isn't on the same 2 month period as insead. As a result, choices in classes were limited when he went to insead. But he admitted that the number of classes offered have increased, and he presumes their quality has improved. But as far as quality of education is concerned, there is very little gained due to the campus exchange. If you are going to wharton, the key reason is to join the recruiting drive at wharton, and have access to wharton's job postings, all with the goal of working in the US. If that is not your goal, he suggested not to bother with the wharton exchange.

Good luck, whichever choice you make!
_________________

Here are a collection of what I thought were my more helpful posts:

PM me and let me know if these helped!

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE   [#permalink] 21 May 2010, 13:07
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Differences in INSEAD September and January Intakes swissmix 2 23 Mar 2012, 11:14
Experts publish their posts in the topic INSEAD January 2012 Intake Waitlist Ekleptik 217 23 Jun 2011, 10:44
INSEAD SEPTEMBER 2011 Intake aljatar 0 27 Jan 2011, 02:47
January 2011 intake? ayo 0 13 Aug 2010, 00:14
91 INSEAD SEPTEMBER 2011 Intake happyls 1486 16 Jun 2010, 18:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28  ...  70    Next  [ 1396 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.