Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 03:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 02:39
Suker wrote:
tihor wrote:
tihor wrote:
All----for the "can we contact your current employer" question, do most end up saying yes? I can not have them contact my current employer. Thanks for the input...

Thanks for the responses everyone. I can not tell my manager because January would be a bad time for me to leave work, if something good happened :-) telling them now would mess with what work I can potentially do for them.

Another matter, I am going to get my first recommendation from an ex-marketing manager from my current office. She was laid off late last year. And the second rec from an ex indirect manager/ direct supervisor on projects from my last job. Does this sound reasonable? Or does it raise flags? I will be asking my current direct manager for recs for my fall applications...

As long as both managers worked with you intensively and can write you a solid recom letter, I don't see why they shouldn't be fine. If your second recommender was both your indirect manager and direct supervisor on certain projects, it's probably best to position him as direct supervisor. I wouldn't file two recommendation letters from indirect managers. Not sure what's INSEAD's position on that though, it's more a 'personal' comment from my side.

Just to add my 2 cents worth...

I dont think it really matters who your recommenders are, but at least one should know you in a business context. I guess they understand that not everyone can be open with their employers on their plans for pursuing an MBA as it means that you're going to leave

tihor - I think we've used relatively the same recommenders, mine were 1) my regional head (boss's boss) and 2) my ex-manager... so both of them technically arent my direct managers. INSEAD didnt make an issue of it though so I think its fine. I did tick the box that it was ok for them to contact my recommenders since my management knows and is supportive of me pursuing an MBA

Caveat; the teams were rather small, about 8 for SE Asia and 7 for N. Asia, so its rather tight knit... and we see our regional head loads... so he's kinda like a direct supervisor since I ultimately report to him.

Just to follow up from Suker's post, I think what is key is that both your recommenders have a very strong feel for your achievements during your career and know you well enough that they have both enough to say about you as well as examples to back them up. This will allow for them to write solid and believable recommendations for you.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 6 Yrs IT dev

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 19:22
Hi HankScorpio,

I appreciate your voluntary effort to collect applicant profiles. You do a good deed for us folks.

My profile, Chinese, 6Yr w/e in IT development, 3 yr as mgr, G:750, GPA:3.7
I am in R2. Please add me to your list. Can i access your spreadsheet? I have +Kuodo to you :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 04:12
Forum seems very quiet.... Does INSEAD notify certain applicants few days ahead of the deadline date? or is it exactly on the deadline date?
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD - Jan 2011

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 04:29
artgirl wrote:
Forum seems very quiet.... Does INSEAD notify certain applicants few days ahead of the deadline date? or is it exactly on the deadline date?

Well I'm trying not to think ybout it... Alumni's told me it was on the exact date. However, it seems that many things have changed in this process since previous years.
Current Student
Schools: HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 04:37
artgirl wrote:

INSEAD does notify sometimes before the exact deadline. I received the good news 3 days before the official notification date by phone. (Round 2 - Sept 2010 intake)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 05:04
artgirl wrote:

Hi artgirl, I have heard that INSEAD does start sending out their admit calls/mails atleast one week before the deadline.
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD- WL, IE - Apr 2011

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 06:41
Suker wrote:
INSEAD does notify sometimes before the exact deadline. I received the good news 3 days before the official notification date by phone. (Round 2 - Sept 2010 intake)

Hi Suker, did you also receive an official email confirmation soon after the phone call?
Current Student

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 06:44
hsourabh wrote:
Suker wrote:

Hi Suker, did you also receive an official email confirmation soon after the phone call?

Yes I did. Over the phone they said "You'll receive the official email confirmation in a few days", but I actually received it like an hour after the phonecall.
Intern
Intern

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 06:52
ramanathanblue wrote:

Hi artgirl, I have heard that INSEAD does start sending out their admit calls/mails atleast one week before the deadline.

I may be wrong, but the trend I came across (i really needed to do something to keep busy) was as follows:

Interview notifications: start approx a week before the final date
Admit notifications: start approx 3 days before the final date
Current Student

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 07:09
sinhadee wrote:
ramanathanblue wrote:

I may be wrong, but the trend I came across (i really needed to do something to keep busy) was as follows:

I can second that. I haven't heard about anyone receiving the interview and notification earlier than that.
I got my interview invitation exactly 1 week in advance.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 07:11
Suker wrote:
sinhadee wrote:
ramanathanblue wrote:

I can second that. I haven't heard about anyone receiving the interview and notification earlier than that.
I got my interview invitation exactly 1 week in advance.

oops :shock: :oops: :oops: then I must have got it wrong and probably read it in some unreliable source.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS (dinged), INSEAD (Jan.2011)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 07:48
Hey everyone,
I did not see that forum 3 months back when I also applied for the January 2011 intake for INSEAD but it is interesting to see that we are now all in the same situation. Two weeks ago I had my two interviews directly here in Germany and my experience was absolutely the same. Very nice interview partners following a common question guideline from INSEAD. The second one even said that he will recommend me to INSEAD as ghe thinks that I perfectly fit in there. No idea whether he was just teasing me or whether it was really true.

So waiting is always the worst time. And yes it is hard not to think already one step further about accomodation, additional language courses for 3rd language and computer equipment, but work definitely helps a lot :-) Really looking forward to next friday and keeping the fingers crossed for us all.

By the way I also heard that they are very strict concerning the final feedback whether one is admitted or not. I was already quite surpised when I got interview feedback two weeks before end of the deadline.
Schools: INSEAD- D '11 Class
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 08:18
Hi, guys and girls. It's great to see that the forum is active! Let's keep up the good work.

Now I want to start a discussion on which campus you choose to start and whether you plan to do the campus exchange and if so, when do you plan to do the exchange. Also does anyone plan to do the Wharton exchange?

Here is my plan: start in Fonty and then exchange to Singapore in either P3 or P4. My goal is to end up in Asia after graduation. :-D Does anyone have insights into whether it matters in terms of recruiting which period I do the exchange to Singapore?
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS (dinged), INSEAD (Jan.2011)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 08:35
More or the less the same plan. Start in Fonty and go to Singapore either P3, P4 or both. What I have heard so far is that you should be in P4 and P5 at the location where you want to work afterwards as this makes it easier for the job interviews.

Talking about Wharten everyone that I was talking to told me not to waste points for the Wharton exchange as it is not wort it. Especially as you are put into a class that has a complete different study year and it is hard to fit into the student body there. So definitely a 'no' to Wharton from my side :-) Rather spend one more term in Sing.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale SOM (admit), Insead 11D Rd I

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 08:52
One thing for any Americans to watch for: according to the INSEAD website, Singapore isn't eligible for US financial aid programs. As a result, American aid recipients need to start in Fonty, and can only spend one period in Singapore.

http://mba.insead.edu/financing/funding_by_country.cfm

To be fair though, spending any time whatsoever on the Singapore campus would be awesome....

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 09:02
Hey stk, great to hear that you plan to start in Fonty too. :0) You raised an interesting point about the Wharton exchange. Since I am based in the US, I was not particularly interested about the Wharton exchange. But still it's interesting to hear about the culture differences between the Wharton kids and the INSEADers.

I am also looking forward to spend a few periods in Singapore. I think the sunny weather will be a nice contrast to having spent a few periods in the Frosty Fonty campus. :wink:

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 09:05
Hey GBH,

Thanks for bring up the scholarship point. I definitely wasn't aware that the Singapore campus was not included in the US financial aid program. Well, this might change my plans slightly..... so what if I want to spend more than one period in singapore, does it mean that I wouldn't qualify for US financial aid from the Dept of Ed?

JZ
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale SOM (admit), Insead 11D Rd I

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 09:26
JZ,

I think it may be saying that only one term is allowed for anyone receiving aid. That said, I'm really running off of what I found in the Financial Aid/ US section, under the .PDF (attached below). I will also admit that I made this discovery pretty recently, so I haven't been able to independently confirm this with INSEAD students. According to the doc, certification of the Singapore campus has been pending since 2005, so theoretically it could still be approved.

At the moment, I'm hoping I'm misunderstanding the whole thing and there's a way to spend two terms off campus. Well, that and that I will magically have a favorable admissions decision arrive in my email inbox ASAP.... :)

Cheers!
Attachments

USLoansGuidelines2010V1.pdf [119.03 KiB]
Downloaded 34 times

To download please login or register as a user

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 09:36
Hi, GBH.

Thanks for including the link. I truly hope that we and our fellow gmat clubbers will receive good news next week! :0)

If I receive good news, I will definitely reach out to my interviewers to find out how they managed their finances (if they relied on US student financial aid) while doing the campus exchange.

But right now I need to buckle down and not think too far out into the future. I see that you also have an admit offer from Yale - congrats. If admitted to both schools, which one would you attend?

JZ
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 10:07
stk wrote:
Hey everyone,
I did not see that forum 3 months back when I also applied for the January 2011 intake for INSEAD but it is interesting to see that we are now all in the same situation. Two weeks ago I had my two interviews directly here in Germany and my experience was absolutely the same. Very nice interview partners following a common question guideline from INSEAD. The second one even said that he will recommend me to INSEAD as ghe thinks that I perfectly fit in there. No idea whether he was just teasing me or whether it was really true.

So waiting is always the worst time. And yes it is hard not to think already one step further about accomodation, additional language courses for 3rd language and computer equipment, but work definitely helps a lot :-) Really looking forward to next friday and keeping the fingers crossed for us all.

By the way I also heard that they are very strict concerning the final feedback whether one is admitted or not. I was already quite surpised when I got interview feedback two weeks before end of the deadline.

Hi stk, Could you explain on what you meant by "final feedback". Is it the writtern feedback from the interviewers?
Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE   [#permalink] 19 May 2010, 10:07