Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [9]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:<strong>INSEAD (Starting Jan 2011)</strong>
 Q48  V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted &amp; ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink]
Kudos
shaselai wrote:
after reading some info on INSEAD i am very interested in it. How competitive would i be if i have:
2.93 undergrad EE & comp eng top 30 eng.
3.26 grad Compsci top 30 eng
5+ it experience
720 gmat?
knows 2 languages (1 being english obviously)

Shaselai - send me your email address and I will give you access to my insead jan 2011 intake spreadsheet, you can see profiles there of 20+ ppl that have been extended an interview invite. Your profile doesn't give much to go on - there are 4 areas you need to prove: academics (mainly from your gmat), international outlook (are you an expat? got lots of passports?), leadership (have you run teams? are you a networking guru?), and do you have something to bring to the table (how do you add diversity? this is the category that being a woman falls into, having a different career path, etc)
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Kudos
sm332 wrote:
Unless you can provide evidence, anecdotes, etc abt why all of us are juvenile, unsuccessful, etc - I am not sure what you are adding to the compendium of information on this thread?

Thanks sm332 for trying to focus us back on the reason for this thread, helping each other with information. One piece of (unsolicited) advice for anyone posting on this thread - if you are going to say something which you may not want traced back to you if someone figures out who you are, you probably shouldn't say it at all. That being said, if you have a low opinion of a school, by all means you should say so. I have met alums on the extremes of the spectrum - an alum that's a managing director of a top strategy consulting practice, and an alum who could not find any better job after graduating so she went back to her old, less than remarkable job. I'm sure INSEAD has its fair share of H/S/W rejects, that simply weren't "good" enough (by H/S/W definition) to make it. I also know there are people that picked INSEAD because it is the right school for them, based on their own values.

I'll be honest - I didn't bother with any of the top 3 because I wasn't the right profile and likely wouldn't even have been offered an interview. I didn't have a pedigree school or pedigree job (mainly because I didn't even know about the existence of such paths until just a few years ago). I'm older now so being in a class of mostly early to mid 20 somethings doesn't appeal to me at all, nor would they want me there as I'm more of a fossil by comparison. The reasons why I am going for INSEAD are numerous. I am looking for a critical mass of bright, worldly people. I'm looking to improve both my French and mandarin Chinese, both which I have studied in the past. I want to make real friends that I share core values with, not people I simply mingle with because I need to network. I also want to meet hard workers, who choose to have 70 hour study weeks over a slower paced 2 year MBA. I don't believe I'll ever make it beyond VP in industry, nor do I care to... I'd rather spend the time with my wife and kids (if I have them). I'm not going to have a career like Fabrice Tourre, who despite all the media attention surrounding Goldman Sachs, struck me as impressive that he's a VP at 31 years old. I don't know much about IB, but being VP in your early 30's at a Fortune 50, or even a Fortune 100, just makes me think of the personal sacrifices he must have made to get there. Maybe all of this makes me an idealist pansy, but I don't mind the label if that's what it is. Hopefully I get the opportunity to meet more people like myself at INSEAD, only better, more accomplished, and have a thing or two to teach me about how things work in other countries.

And I understand and appreciate that you, prasetogosho, would be disappointed if you felt the alumni that are going to interview you are beneath you. If you feel they are beneath you, then by all means, get yourself into H/S/W, if that's where you belong. Or perhaps you belong in IMD, which probably has a higher concentration of talent and even more impressive resumes because they probably didn't switch countries, industries, or careers, so they stayed on their respective tracks. Know what you value, and go to the school that will get you closer to what you value. Good luck, and I hope you get into the school that aligns you closer to who you want to be, whether it be the title you need to have, salary you want to make, or hooked in to the kind of people that matter to you.
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Kudos
snbury wrote:
Thanks a lot for your help. Some people have suggested I go for the MBA now, but I feel there are still a few things I can learn and skills I can develop without the MBA. At the moment I am considering the MBA to acquire the management tools I will need in the future in order to be an effective leader, both of people and an organization. I am potentially considering a career change as well, although I haven't decided yet on that. If I do, INSEAD would be my choice as I am considering management consulting.

However, I am also interested in INSEAD because I think the profile of the students fits well with mine (I was born in Holland, grew up in Colombia, got my bachelor's degree in the US, and have worked in Ireland, Singapore, and China). From what I have read the personal and professional profiles of the INSEAD alumni are similar to mine.

As I said in my first post, I am only now starting to hunt for more information and a decision to apply is a few years ahead of me.

Thanks again.

One thing for you to consider is how you will build these skills faster. There's always skills and knowledge you can develop without the MBA. There's a point of diminishing returns when it comes to learning in a position or organization. Once you get beyond a certain learning curve, your rate of learning will slow wherever you are or whatever you do, except maybe certain types of consulting at certain firms. Another key to consider is are you learning the things you want to, or need to learn - the right learning. If you are going into management consulting, for example, are you learning the right stuff leading up to MC? If you are building your career path around MC in the short term, you could say, for example, you want to build deep industry experience now, which maybe you don't have yet. I would suggest you information interview with consultants at M/B/B firms and ask what they are looking for in terms of pre-MBA experience and where your gaps are - bring a copy of your CV for reference. Try to get in front of at least a Project Leader if not a Principal so that they can tell you what they look for when building a team. As much as learning and growing is fun, you can often have just as much fun learning something that will help you later vs something that won't help you later.

As for profiles, you may fit the INSEAD profile, but you may also fit the profiles of other schools that are just as good if not better. That will be up to you to decide if INSEAD is the best school (and best by your definition and your circumstances, not anyone else's) you have a shot at.
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Kudos
I'll throw in my thoughts here too to help with the R2/R3's. My 1st recommender was my direct manager, but since the application has left the company I work for. My 2nd recommender was a client, but I provided leadership and direction to her team.

To help you out, I have attached the reference questions. You should expect your references to be able to answer these questions very specifically, from experience, and from a work or extremely work-relevant context. As you can see, almost all questions are focused on leadership progress and potential. If they can also anchor to international outlook and ability to contribute, they would be bonus points. But don't fool yourself when choosing your references. If you think you have to coach your reference from the bottom up so they can say that they understand your career progress and focus, then they probably aren't the best person as they can't speak from experience. And I echo the previous messages - at least one, if not both, should be work references. Pretend you're on the adcom - if the only references you have for a candidate are from a clergyman and from a boyscout lead, that would raise flags compared to the candidate who provided their direct boss at work and the earthquake relief coordinator at the red cross (who was the direct supervisor during the volunteer stint). You can see based on the questions below how different candidates will shine.

1. Comment on the candidate’s career progress to date and his/her career focus.
    2. What do you consider to be the candidate’s major strengths? Comment on the factors that distinguish the candidate from other individuals at his/her level.
    3. What do you consider to be the candidate’s major weaknesses?
    4. Comment on the candidate’s potential for senior management. Do you see him/her as a future leader?
    5. Describe the candidate as a person. Comment on his/her ability to establish and maintain relationships, sensitivity to others, self-confidence, attitude, etc. Specifically comment on the candidate's behaviour or skills in a group setting/team environment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I have created a facebook page for our class - check out the link below or look up INSEAD MBA Class of December 2011

https://www.facebook.com/groups/create.p ... 331&ref=ts

I'll update the page with photos and information later on.

I think this will be a good place to talk about logistics, career placement, accommodation options or just whatever we feeling like discussing :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted &amp; ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
Send PM
Kudos
vishnupr wrote:
I am applying to R1 for the Jan 2011 intake. Been working on my essays for a month now. I noticed that only the 2 career essays had strict word limits. The other ones had "approx" word limits and most of my essays do go over the limit..not sure how to handle this

try not to exceed - having said that INSEAD wont shred your application if you are off by a handful of words. But gross excesses >10% will not be looked at kindly. They get thousand of applications - how would you feel if you were reading hundreds of these in a week?
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
GoBruins wrote:
levfin2003 wrote:
Does anyone have any insight on how INSEAD views people such as Indians or Chinese with U.S. undergraduate degree and work experience, for diversity purposes, especially during admissions? I am referring to foreign-born U.S. graduates, not Indian-Americans or Chinese Americans.

Arguably, these people do not bring much insight about the corporate culture in their home countries, because they have never worked in their home countries.

I think this is a strength. The weakness of this pool is that they are overly represented not that they are lacking in bring diversity. In fact a good population of INSEAD is represented by individuals who have worked and lived in many different countries. I believe the idea of diversity is not just to be a stereotypical representation of a specific culture but people who have shown that they are accepting of many different cultures. I think that's why they have a 3 language requirements. So they get a class of individuals that always have a global background.

++

BTW - I fall in the category of Indian who has studied and worked abroad.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
daniyatom wrote:
Hi guys. Can someone chime about the the photo portion of the app? Are there specified requirements for this photo? I mean can i include any photo (including with pictures of other ppl in it)?

Please advise.

no - it should be headshot think passport photo style.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.6 - Top public
WE 1: Investment Management
Send PM
Kudos
rishiphadke wrote:
Hello people, I have reapplied in R1 for the Jan 2011 intake, after being placed on the waitlist last year. Does anyone know any success stories of reapplicants? Also, will there be any edge because I was on the waitlist till the last minute for Jan 2010? And lastly, when is the earliest we can expect to get interview invites?

I'm asking 'cos I have an admit from Oxford and the deposit date there would clash with the INSEAD interview date :-( so a bit of a dilemma...

any thoughts or comments would be appreciated..

Accept Oxford's offer and go ahead with INSEAD's interview. The dilemma will begin if/when you get an offer from INSEAD.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Kudos
ariel wrote:
*bump*

Can one of the mods perhaps start a roll call if/when they get a chance? Might be easier to keep track of what's happening given that interview invites should start rolling in any day now.

@ariel don't get everyone's hopes too far up - some wise words quoted from OMJ of the Sept 2010 thread:

OutOfMyJeans wrote:
INSEAD does not work on rolling basis. They will start reviewing all applications after the submission deadline for that round. INSEAD has traditionally released a few interview invites earlier (like 2 weeks before the interview notification deadline). However, 99% of the invites are extended in the last 2 days. And, the interview invite is always by e-mail and not by phone.
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats Blindside!

To everyone - I've consolidated the people and profiles that have been accepted so far for an interview across bweek and gmatclub. send me a msg to be added to the access list on google docs and add your profile.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP &amp; Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Kudos
Just got an interview invite as well. By the sound of the email, pre-selected means that you're invited to interview but details will be coming in an email at a later date. My feeling is that they're going over applications, deciding who they want to interview, and then coordinating with local alumni, etc. It's really just semantics.

My profile: F, 4 yrs WE (advisory, valuation / FP), lots of intl experience, 710 GMAT.

Good luck to all!
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Kudos
rishiphadke wrote:
HankScorpio wrote:
Just tallied up the numbers. 42 invites between businessweek and gmatclub boards. Looks like the indian competition is tough, but I guess that's how it is every intake. Good luck!

Any hypothesis on whether the chances are better for R1? I interviewed for R2 last year and was placed on the waitlist till the very end - got a ding just 4 weeks before the course was to start. Realistically also, even if I was offered an admission on that date, there was no way I could have arranged for the finances, visa, etc. in under 4 weeks.

Also, how many Indians are usually selected on average in one batch? If there are any statistics around that, maybe we can assess our chances..

Based on the conversations I've had with the insead marketing ppl, anytime a group is over-represented, the earlier you apply the better. They will take only so many indian engineers or israeli lawyers. If you came up as waitlisted, then that's good evidence that you made their bar, but the quota for your specific profile of diversity was already in enough abundance for that promotion. Logically that makes sense - better to have one or two indian engineers than no indian engineers, but fifty could lower the overall diversity. As for indians in one batch, I don't know numbers, but for 11J (that's sept 2010 intake), the numbers as of the beginning of march were around 42. My suggestion would be to look at the sept thread and try to follow how many got in from R1 (the people that got admitted will have a view via MBAconnect) and how big the number got after R2, etc.

Good luck!
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Got my interviewer details this morning too... just sent off a note with my CV to them to request interview options.
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Kudos
evrimerdem wrote:
Hi, I have a question

Are you going to send to your interviewers whole pdf, with essays, or extract CV pages? Do you plan to send additional word format CV?

I'm sticking to word format CV since these ppl are time strapped. I also gave them the option of my faxing over the profile pages. I figure that since my interviewers are VPs, they don't have time to read reams of documentation - heck, I barely get through CVs prior to interviewing candidates myself for positions, and I'm just a manager. A 1 page CV is perfect in my opinion for this - basically an executive summary. If they have the time for the rest of the documentation, they'll tell me they want it (since I am asking them directly).
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Kudos
JZHANG2008 wrote:
Hey guys and girls. The wait is also killing me! What is everyone doing to make the wait easier?

Also, for those who want to start in Fonty - have you started thinking about housing options? This might be too early to start thinking about the logistical issues but I'm debating whether to try to live in a chateau or in an apartment near campus.. Anyone has any insight? I don't plan on shipping my car to Fonty so I will have to find a way to transport myself to and from campus. Maybe I will get a bike but I can't imagine the trip pleasant in winter...

I've been thinking about housing options and have pushed my thoughts off to the side completely, including thoughts of laptops, until I hear back. Forcing myself to try and not accept it into my head yet. :?

As for making the wait easier, I am considering backup plans, and backup plans of backup plans. It might be an odd way to approach it, but getting a sense of what I'm going to do next no matter what the outcome helps. Either way, I'm looking at change - it's just a matter of which path I will take. When I have two or three baskets to distribute the eggs between, it takes the edge off the wait.
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:INSEAD- D '11 Class
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, everyone. I thought I'd post a joke to ease our tensions:

"A man was in the restaurant yesterday when he suddenly realized that he desperately
needed to pass gas. The music was really, really loud, so he timed his
gas with the beat of the music.

After a couple of songs, he started to feel better. He finished his coffee,
and noticed that everybody was staring at him...

Then he suddenly remembered that he was listening to his iPod."

JZ
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  70