Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD, LBS, or Stern

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
INSEAD, LBS, or Stern [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey all,

I appreciate anyone's thoughts on these options, particularly if you have personal experiences with the programs. I see all as great options, but here's a bit of context. I'm European/American with a US undergrad and expect to establish myself in Europe long term. I am however looking to work in the US for a few years immediately after my MBA. I'm not particularly interested in finance, although I haven't had much exposure to it so that could change. My current goal is to work at a top-tier management consulting firm after my MBA, but there's certainly great appeal of a 1 1/2 to 2 year program that would allow me to explore other new areas.

I understand that breaking into a top consulting firm in the US with an LBS/INSEAD degree is possible, but definitely poses challenges. Stern would provide the local career/networking opportunities, but doesn't seem to have the same cache as LBS or INSEAD, while the 10 month INSEAD program seems like it might fly by too quickly.

I'd really appreciate any personal experiences anyone has had with any of these programs.

Thanks so much!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 8

Re: INSEAD, LBS, or Stern [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
If you want to work in management consulting then INSEAD is hands down your best choice. These firms are pretty global and you can always change between offices after 1yr (even during recruiting it is possible). If you want to do finance and in London then might be better but not much advantage in rest of europe. Stern is a great program but might be a little to biased towards finance in US.

I feel you need to get more clear on your goals. One of the key requirements to succeed at bschools is in general knowing where you want to go and admission officers always mention this that those who have a decent plan of where they want to end will do better. I know few frnds in top tier schools in US who are suffering because of lack of focus.

INSEAD has a very strong brand name in MBB.

INSEAD: Best bet for Management consulting
LBS: best bet for finance in London
Stern: finance in US

disclaimer: I work in MBB and have been admitted to INSEAD (and few other US schools).
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD, LBS, or Stern [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 07:17
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks, nath99!

I really appreciate your perspective and knowing where you're coming from. It's very helpful. The ultimate goal is to get in to consulting, which is why INSEAD makes so much sense. However, rarely will we have the opportunity to have a trial period (i.e. internship) in something we wouldn't normally have the chance to take part in. I would also rather begin my post MBA career in the US, which given INSEAD's placement history seems to be a bit tough to achieve. What school are you currently leaning towards? Feel free to send me an private message.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD, LBS, or Stern [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 19:44
This post received
KUDOS
Any other thoughts anyone?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: INSEAD, LBS, or Stern [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 00:27
This post received
KUDOS
I have a similar dilemma... admitted to INSEAD and sloan, and have potential aspirations of a US return (but largely unsure/open) which will be challenging with an INSEAD degree. Although I have heard that if you want to do MC in the US and go to INSEAD you need to recruit from the Fonty campus.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 83 [1] , given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: INSEAD, LBS, or Stern [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 01:03
This post received
KUDOS
swissmix wrote:
Any other thoughts anyone?

All are great schools just depends with which school you find the best fit. I suggest go visit one of the school events & talk to alumni, students, professors

Or if you got the cash make a feild trip to the school.

Personally I like LBS & Stern

INSEAD is good but I feel the course with be super rushed & I will not be able to capitalise on the MBA exp or networks. 10 months 5 days a week class plus assignments

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD, LBS, or Stern [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks all.

Since the short-term goal is consulting, INSEAD seems like the logical choice even for a US position. I think that I've pretty much eliminated NYU at this point, but the opportunities at LBS (particularly the internship) are still very intriguing. Any one else have any experience with these programs?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas, Stanford, MIT Sloan, INSEADw/$$
WE 1: Five years in hi-tech in sales/marketing roles
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: INSEAD, LBS, or Stern [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 08:45
shatta wrote:
I have a similar dilemma... admitted to INSEAD and sloan, and have potential aspirations of a US return (but largely unsure/open) which will be challenging with an INSEAD degree. Although I have heard that if you want to do MC in the US and go to INSEAD you need to recruit from the Fonty campus.

I had the same choice (INSEAD/ Sloan) and have chosen INSEAD =)
Good luck to you!

"A leader is the one who climbs the tallest tree, surveys the entire situations, and yells, 'Wrong jungle!'" - Stephen Covey

Manager
Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas, Stanford, MIT Sloan, INSEADw/$$
WE 1: Five years in hi-tech in sales/marketing roles
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: INSEAD, LBS, or Stern [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 08:46
swissmix wrote:
Hey all,

I appreciate anyone's thoughts on these options, particularly if you have personal experiences with the programs. I see all as great options, but here's a bit of context. I'm European/American with a US undergrad and expect to establish myself in Europe long term. I am however looking to work in the US for a few years immediately after my MBA. I'm not particularly interested in finance, although I haven't had much exposure to it so that could change. My current goal is to work at a top-tier management consulting firm after my MBA, but there's certainly great appeal of a 1 1/2 to 2 year program that would allow me to explore other new areas.

I understand that breaking into a top consulting firm in the US with an LBS/INSEAD degree is possible, but definitely poses challenges. Stern would provide the local career/networking opportunities, but doesn't seem to have the same cache as LBS or INSEAD, while the 10 month INSEAD program seems like it might fly by too quickly.

I'd really appreciate any personal experiences anyone has had with any of these programs.

Thanks so much!

I'd say, INSEAD, because it combines your main goals of getting a cinsulting position + staying in Europe. Second best is LBS, though a longer program + more living expenses in London. I wouldn't even consider Stern for your purposes =) Just my 2 cents.

"A leader is the one who climbs the tallest tree, surveys the entire situations, and yells, 'Wrong jungle!'" - Stephen Covey

Re: INSEAD, LBS, or Stern   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2012, 08:46