Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD Q&A and Viral Video Initiative

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Insead '13 (A)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

INSEAD Q&A and Viral Video Initiative [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 10:59
Dear future INSEAD MBA participants,

I was in your shoe a year ago and I must say it's quite interesting to relive the excitement of waiting for acceptance notice by following your posts on the Sep 2013 and Jan 2014 intake threads.

A bit about myself, I'm 28 years old from Vietnam. My background was 5 years in the consulting industry in the U.S. and in Japan, as well as a summer internship in private equity in Vietnam. At INSEAD, I am the vice president of the investment management club and helped run two student initiatives: the Robin Hood Scholarship fundraising campaign and the Photobook project for fellow students in my class.

I will be available in this thread until Sunday night to any questions that you have regarding the experience at INSEAD Fontainebleau (where I am). I think insightful topics would be courses, professors, non-academic life, job search, etc. If you have a question about admission however, I would be less useful as a source of information. Please keep the questions as non-personal as you can. If you do have a personal question that doesn't benefit the public, please PM me.

In exchange, I hope you guys can help support a viral video my group has created for the social media class. It's a parody of the LMFAO music video "I'm Structured and I Know It" that recounts the humorous job search experience during period 4. A harbinger for you guys for what to come, I guess... (:

If you liked this video, please support us by viewing, liking, commenting on and sharing it with as many people and in as many social media channels as you can. Your activities will help greatly increase the success of our project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSPYi8zVtEY

Thanks, and I look forward to answering your questions!

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 18

Re: INSEAD Q&A and Viral Video Initiative [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 22:19
Thanks for taking the time to do this! My question to you is if you were in our shoes, with still a few months until (potentially) matriculating, how would you spend your time preparing? Are there any notoriously difficult courses or topics that we should focus on? Any "must read" books?
Intern
Intern

Re: INSEAD Q&A and Viral Video Initiative [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 05:48
TaipanRex wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to do this! My question to you is if you were in our shoes, with still a few months until (potentially) matriculating, how would you spend your time preparing? Are there any notoriously difficult courses or topics that we should focus on? Any "must read" books?

In terms of courses, you would want to think about taking exemption exams in accounting, corporate finance, statistics and economics (both micro and macro). Passing exemption exams means you have more time to do other things, such as look for jobs. You can use a maximum of three exemptions but no more than two per period. Secondly, I would start networking like crazy in the fields I want to get into. This is more important for finance, but also quite important for consulting. Thirdly, if you are entering as a July candidate, I would recommend trying to secure a pre-MBA internship in the area that you want to get a job in. It may help if you are a career switcher.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 43

Re: INSEAD Q&A and Viral Video Initiative [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 09:40
Hello,
I'd like to thank you in advance for making yourself available to assist us with our doubts regarding INSEAD's MBA. You said you've worked in the consulting industry for 5 years prior to Insead. MBB by any chance? I was actually wondering how is MBB recruiting for summer internships and full-time positions at Insead, considering the 1-year format. Are there many internship offers, and what percentage (approximately) of the class goes through MC recruiting (internships and full-time)?
Whatever information you fell it's important to share regarding this subject would be more than welcome, too.
Best,
Bizwiz
Intern
Intern

Re: INSEAD Q&A and Viral Video Initiative [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 10:51
bizwiz84 wrote:
Hello,
I'd like to thank you in advance for making yourself available to assist us with our doubts regarding INSEAD's MBA. You said you've worked in the consulting industry for 5 years prior to Insead. MBB by any chance? I was actually wondering how is MBB recruiting for summer internships and full-time positions at Insead, considering the 1-year format. Are there many internship offers, and what percentage (approximately) of the class goes through MC recruiting (internships and full-time)?
Whatever information you fell it's important to share regarding this subject would be more than welcome, too.
Best,
Bizwiz

Unfortunately I wasn't in any of the MBB firms. In the U.S. it was with a firm called Analysis Group. In Japan it was a Japanese boutique. Recruitment for MBB at INSEAD is quite active and competitive at the same time. Normally, about 90% of INSEAD students will apply to consulting (some just for the heck of it). McKinsey says that they take about 108 INSEAD students per year (two promotions, sponsored MBAs included). When you take out the number of sponsors and divide by two, it's roughly 30-35 INSEAD new hires per promotion. Bain and BCG hire a bit less, around 70 to 80 if I remember the statistics right. Two of the three firms boast that INSEAD is their largest hiring source annually.

I'm not really sure what the numbers are for internships though, sorry!
Re: INSEAD Q&A and Viral Video Initiative   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2013, 10:51