Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 08:07
Franklin wrote:
sm332 wrote:
Got a call about 45 minutes ago ... INSEAD is a go :)

I told you I had a good vibe about it. Just call me inspired! Haha! Congrats sm332!!!

I think I remember that you are Indian, right? I can't remember if you mentioned this but are you based in the U.S.?

May I ask what are your career goals post-MBA?

Yup Indian but based in Canada for the time being. Post - MBA continue my strat consulting career.

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 08:11
hey Salisaaa, i'm in a very similar dilemma. got into both INSEAD and Oxford...now time to decide. i thought it was an easy no brainer for INSEAD at first, but the more i've analyzed the situation, the more appealing Oxford has become for me.

first, i went to visit both campuses last month. i gotta say, while both schools are in small towns, INSEAD is really in the middle of nowhere. i really do not expect there to be much of a life there outside of the school. Oxford on the other hand offers a full collegiate type of feel/experience. the distinction i'll make is that, at INSEAD, i'll likely meet a lot of really excellent high achievers who are all very business saavy. however, i believe at Oxford, i can meet some truly exceptional individuals who are geniuses and may one day achieve great heights in this world...they might not all be in my mba class, but i'll have a chance to meet and socialize with ppl of this extraordinary caliber outside of the classroom due to the structure of the collegiate system at Oxford. this alone gives Oxford plenty of intangible bonus points that INSEAD does not have. for instance, since i'm interested in buy side funds, i might not meet many brilliant mba’s like i would at INSEAD, but i'm sure i'll get to meet lots of talented mathematicians, economists, and engineers who can all contribute to my learning experience in developing a proper trade model. so for me, the two schools are different and hard to compare directly…really depends on what you’re looking for after the mba.

also, given the impression i got from the 2 schools, i'd say that INSEAD is better if you want to establish a career in consulting, finance, or industry. you're almost guaranteed to get a top notch job upon graduation and you'll really never have to worry again about making a comfortable living in life. yet, i believe that Oxford offers something special with its brand name. this is particularly important for my personal goals, since i hope to work with major chinese investors who are not going to be well versed in the finance industry. hence, most of them will likely not have a clue what INSEAD is or the quality of its program, whereas they'll likely have heard of Oxford and its stellar undergraduate reputation. therefore, unlike probably 95% of all applicants, the INSEAD brand name will do little good for me in terms of dealing with future Chinese investors.

finally, for me and my goals of getting into buy side funds, and more specifically, neither INSEAD nor Oxford will be highly recruited programs. however, i’m fairly sure that both degrees will open a similar number of doors if i’m willing to put in the leg work and knock on those doors. in theory, INSEAD might be a hair better than Oxford, but both of them require a significant amount of networking on my part. given Oxford’s proximity to London and its diverse undergrad network, i believe i might actually have a better chance with my networking there vs. INSEAD.
so here are just a few points that have been on my mind over the past couple of weeks regarding the two programs, and i still can’t really decide which one is more suitable for me. at the moment i'm leaning towards Oxford, but it’s really a tough decision to consciously give up a top 5 global program for a top 20 global program…still though, in my case, it just might be the more suitable school for my purposes. the best advice i can give is to evaluate what your post mba goals are and how each school fits into your vision.
either way, congrats on getting into all 3 programs! maybe we’ll be classmates at either Oxford or INSEAD lol…good dilemma to have i suppose. :wink:

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD (Attending Aug 2010), Oxford (Admitted), Cambridge (Admitted)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2009, 09:22
Hi Dr Satisfaction, thanks for your perspective. My thinking is pretty much along the same line as yours. At first, it was really clear that INSEAD was a first choice but then for all the reasons that you said, I also like Oxbridge. I don't think I can make a bad choice here but just trying to find the best 'fit'. For INSEAD, I hope to spend time in Singapore and Fonty - as it'll build the network in both Asia/Europe. Still making my pros and cons list - the top 5 vs. top 20 is also a tough one for me. Anyway, let me know what you decide - we may indeed get to be classmates :)

Happy Holidays!
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 07:10
Interesting tidbit in an email I received from Jake Cohen this morning ...

Class Snapshots

You may be interested in a snapshot profile of our current MBA class. In line with INSEAD’s core values, we are happy to announce increased levels of gender and racial diversity for the recent classes.

Class of July 2010

* 495 students
* 68 nationalities
* 156 females (31.5%)
* Average Age of 29 years
* Average work experience of 5.4 years
* Average GMAT score – 703
* Largest national group – American (11.3%)

While interesting, snapshots do not do justice to the caliber of INSEAD students – the backgrounds, experiences and achievements are impressive. Should you join INSEAD, I know that you will enjoy learning more about, and from, your new peers once on campus.
(Yes, the color is INSEAD green!)

Interesting stuff but that email nearly gave me a heart attack since I am hoping for a pre-selection interview!
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 07:20
interesting to see that % of Americans has gone up. IIRC - the previous intake everyone was less than 10%.

Franklin wrote:

Class Snapshots

You may be interested in a snapshot profile of our current MBA class. In line with INSEAD’s core values, we are happy to announce increased levels of gender and racial diversity for the recent classes.

Class of July 2010

* 495 students
* 68 nationalities
* 156 females (31.5%)

While interesting, snapshots do not do justice to the caliber of INSEAD students – the backgrounds, experiences and achievements are impressive. Should you join INSEAD, I know that you will enjoy learning more about, and from, your new peers once on campus.

Interesting stuff but that email nearly gave me a heart attack since I am hoping for a pre-selection interview!

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 08:03
Hi sm332, I hope that you had a nice holiday season. Just curious ... when do you have to submit your seat deposit?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 08:15
By Jan 22

Franklin wrote:
Hi sm332, I hope that you had a nice holiday season. Just curious ... when do you have to submit your seat deposit?

Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 08:19
Franklin wrote:

Class Snapshots

Class of July 2010

* 495 students
* 68 nationalities
* 156 females (31.5%)

I thought no more than 10% is from any single nationality.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 09:28
GoBruins wrote:
Franklin wrote:

Class Snapshots

Class of July 2010

* 495 students
* 68 nationalities
* 156 females (31.5%)

Yeah, I thought that too. I read on the BW forums that some accepted applicants from that class had issues with funding. I wonder if that had something to do with it. Hmmm ...

How goes your app season so far?
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 13:46
Franklin wrote:
GoBruins wrote:
Franklin wrote:

Class Snapshots

Class of July 2010

* 495 students
* 68 nationalities
* 156 females (31.5%)

Yeah, I thought that too. I read on the BW forums that some accepted applicants from that class had issues with funding. I wonder if that had something to do with it. Hmmm ...

How goes your app season so far?

R1 January 2011 Intake Booyah... Gives me 2 months to prepare!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 14:30
GoBruins wrote:
R1 January 2011 Intake Booyah... Gives me 2 months to prepare!

So you decided not to apply for the September intake? Interesting. I haven't applied to any other schools. INSEAD is the only place I really want to attend. After visiting in October, I really fell in love with the school.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 00:03
Does anyone know if Round2 applications have been notified yet? It's the only school I applied for, so rather nervous about it!
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD, LBS

Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 08:28
Got my interview invite today!
Intern
Intern

Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 18:19
Wow! Congratulations! Where are you from? I'm from South East Asia so am wondering when the interview invites are sent out...
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD, LBS

Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 07:43
Thanks and good luck to you!
I am based in London
From what I heard, also seems the guys have mentioned it above, 16th January is when most replies are sent, I suppose mine was among the first they processed somehow
Manager
Manager
Schools: -=! LBS (int) !=- HEC (admitted) INSEAD (int)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 08:39
nevzorov wrote:
Thanks and good luck to you!
I am based in London
From what I heard, also seems the guys have mentioned it above, 16th January is when most replies are sent, I suppose mine was among the first they processed somehow

Are you Russian? I deduct that from your nick name!

I am asking cause I am Latvian based in russia

Could you also please share your profile, cause I think that could be the reason for quick invite

Artuurss

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: INSEAD '14
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 09:35
Hi guys, what kind of digi photo did you upload in your application? It doesn't specify that it has to be a passport sized mugshot so I'm wondering. Thanks in advance!

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 11:54
sharshar84 wrote:
Hi guys, what kind of digi photo did you upload in your application? It doesn't specify that it has to be a passport sized mugshot so I'm wondering. Thanks in advance!

I uploaded a picture of me from the chest up. Once you upload the picture, the software requires you to crop the picture to fit within specific parameters. I chose to wear a suit for the photo.

I hope this helps!

Franklin
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 11:55
Franklin wrote:
sharshar84 wrote:

I uploaded a picture of me from the chest up. Once you upload the picture, the software requires you to crop the picture to fit within specific parameters. I chose to wear a suit for the photo.

I hope this helps!

Franklin

I just uploaded something that I had lying around on my machine - from one of my wedding ceremonies.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: INSEAD '14
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 21:34
Thanks for the tips guys! So it should be something like artuurss's avatar :)

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Re: INSEAD Sep 2010 Intake   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2010, 21:34