Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:IE, Nov 2011 intake
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: INSEAD September 2011 intake waitlist [#permalink]
Hey guys,

Add me to the Waitlist :)

From previous threads, i know that more than 50% of the waitlisted get admitted... even if 1 month prior to the program.
Insead's email clearly mentions that the Waitlist is reviewed on a monthly basis, and we can expect an email or a phone call at anytime. Plus i have received an email from my INSEAD coordinator (Isabelle Ramos) stating the following:
"There is no ranking on the waitlist, so the number of candidates on the waitlist is irrelevant. The Admissions Committee selects people from the waitlist based on specific criteria such as nationality, educational and professional background. This is to ensure the optimal mix of students is achieved on both campuses."

So keep your fingers crossed, everything is possible... it's a Luck game in the end!

Good Luck for all
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@MBAAyer: Didnt you get admitted to LBS? :-D Are you planning to join there?

Why would you want INSEAD waitlist :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Waitlisted here as well...

M/27/American in Australia/690/WE in Aviation/Logistics/Manufacturing
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Count me in...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Count me in.. plz suggest ways to improve candidacy..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Count me in.

M/29 yrs/Taiwanese/730/4 yrs WE in IT

Good luck for all!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys,
I don't exactly know how to interpret it, but from looking at both this thread and the SEPTEMBER 2011 INTAKE thread, I gathered the following:
1) 24 people reported that they got accepted
2) 21 people got into the waiting list.

The reason could be:
a) There are allot more waitlist applicants who were willing to register to the forum/share their status
b) By some statistical coincidence, there are allot more wait-listed applicants in this forum
c) This round's waitlist is huge!

I sure hope it's not C...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
PKV wrote:
noamk wrote:
Hey guys,
I don't exactly know how to interpret it, but from looking at both this thread and the SEPTEMBER 2011 INTAKE thread, I gathered the following:
1) 24 people reported that they got accepted
2) 21 people got into the waiting list.

The reason could be:
a) There are allot more waitlist applicants who were willing to register to the forum/share their status
b) By some statistical coincidence, there are allot more wait-listed applicants in this forum
c) This round's waitlist is huge!

I sure hope it's not C...

noamk,

be careful with comparing two different data sets. people will naturally gravitate to whichever thread is applicable to themselves and register their thoughts. e.g. after the fact people will log in and post for the first time that they're accepted to insead, just like people will do the same for being waitlisted. you'll have people registered in one thread that aren't in the other...you have to take one sample (where the two threads overlap, or just one) and stick with it for consistency's sake.

a better approach would be to take the sept 2011 intake roll-call as your sample, and figure out the statistics from that alone (ignoring the people who have registered here, but not there). who was accepted, who was waitlisted (to your knowledge), and who are you not sure about?

without having done the math, my hunch is that the waitlist is just as large as previous years (insead says it's comparatively small); and there's nothing to read into the number of waitlisters registered here compared to the number of those accepted registered in the sept 2011 instake thread.

also, it's good to look at the jan 11 waitlist thread -- probably a more positive point-of-reference for us waitlisters. my numbers show 65% admit from the waitlist, with >50% of those eventually admitted receiving notice within two months of the original (waitlist) decision. also keep in mind that the jan 11 intake does not compete with american mba programs, so one would think that the jan yield is historically higher than the sept one -- leading one to believe that the sept intake waitlist will see more action unless insead manages waitlist size as well between the two intakes.

sorry a lot of the thoughts are off-the-cuff, and i haven't really thought out / crafted a totally comprehensible or authoritative response. let me know if you (or anyone else) requires clarification on my thoughts above.

to all: remain POSITIVE. look at the jan 11 waitlist thread. there might not be a whole lot you can do to improve your candidacy, but know that insead's yield is not 100%; there will be people who decide to go to hbs, stanford, kellogg, lbs, etc instead, and the adcom will dip into the waitlist to fill diversity gaps. i might not get in, but i guarantee a significant % of those registered here will (and as i mentioned, within 2 months of now). that is unless for some unforseen reason r2 applicants are much stronger than r1 ones (which is NEVER the case).

it's just a crapshoot -- unless you discover the cure for cancer or solve the crisis (or crises) in the middle east. as a slightly pessimistic side, one thing that i'm doubtful of is that accepting more responsibility during the next 6-8 months will improve your standing on the waitlist. there's only so much you can do in 6-8 months that will substantially impact your candidacy, and the adcom has already said it's more about diversity than the strength of your application. you just need to happen to be the female kyrgyz tuba player on the waitlist for when the other one the adcom admitted decides to go to LBS.

Hey PKV,
I love your insights, and you are so very right. I shouldn't compare apples and oranges (even if they are on the same website).
To correct my figures from before:
1) 13 waitlisted applicants
2) 24 accepted applicants

They were all posted on the regular INSEAD SEPT 2012 thread.

And another note - although I went through the (minor) effort of summing up the numbers, I don't really believe that they mean much, and I won't make my future plans according to them. I also think that bombarding the adcom with updates about my life/career/my dog's health won't improve my chances. Therefore, the only thing left for me is to go over the numbers and make groundless speculations. Well, I can also cut a deal with that other kyrgyz tuba player :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
noamk wrote:
Well, I can also cut a deal with that other kyrgyz tuba player :)

Too late...I gave her a deal she couldn't refuse :shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
@PKV.. thanks a lot for the unseful insights

@noamk.. i strongly believe in option A.. think of this this way.. MOTIVE wise, we all here have a really strong motive to communicate in order to understand our situation, our chances and wut to do (if any), on the other hand why would any of the admitted guys do the same ? if i were in their shoes i would definitely spend this time interacting on the INSEAD intranet channel with other admitted guys to discuss financing, visa n housing issues.. not here by any means!

makes sense ??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey all,

Had time to go over my Jan11 Intake Waitlist stats. They are as follows:

Total # Registered on Thread (i.e. Waitlisted): 17
Admitted: 11
Definite No Admit: 2
Assume No Admit: 4

Admitted % = 65%

Admitted: 11
Notified 27/7/2010: 9 (or 82%)
Notified 15/10/2010: 1 (9%)
Notified 3/12/2010: 1 (9%)

FYI the 27/7/2010 date is not the date when R1 deposits were due; rather it was ~1-2 weeks after the official R2 interview notification. I would assume this is because the admissions committee wants to fully evaluate the R2 applicants as opposed to defaulting immediately to the R1 waitlist. However, they appear to do so without fully considering R2 interview results -- though the adcom's decision is after the interview notification, not every applicant is done with interviews within 2 weeks of that date.

That having been said, my conclusions:

1. 14 is too small a sample size to definitively conclude anything about waitlist admit rate, however;
2. 65% is pretty decent, especially with 81% notified within 2 months. I would still stick with a figure upwards of 50% depending on the "diversity" of the group that has chimed in on this thread;
3. Jan 21 is *not necessarily* the date we should be aiming for in terms of a response from the adcom due to deposits being due then. However, if we can get in touch with any of the admits and glean data from them and compare with 21 Jan, then we'll have a rough idea re: how many waitlist spots the adcom will look to fill;
4. The date we should all be aiming for with respect to a response is between 21-28 Jan (2 weeks post R2 interview decision date). Incidentally (or not), the R2 interview decision date is 14 Jan;
5. If you do not hear by 21-28 Jan (or whenever people start to come back reporting admits), your chances of eventual admit appear to diminish significantly. Not to say that they are 0% (or 9% of 65% for that matter), but keep in mind that the adcom also re-ups the waitlist with R2 applicants.

The adcom has said there is no ranking of the waitlist, but I would still think that they clear out most of the R1 waitlist during R2 applications, the R2 waitlist during R3 applications, and so on. When I say "clear out", I mean clear from consideration. Again, take with a grain of salt, and know that nothing is set in stone. If you've only applied to INSEAD, you might as well wait until the fat lady sings and you might get lucky with a late admit. Have your financing in order in case you get an admit two months prior to matriculation!

So...we need to find someone reliable who can give us MBA Connect information for the following *NOW* and on/after 21 Jan:

1. Total admits
2a. Total / M / F by major nationalities
or
2b. Total / M / F by nationality of those registered on this thread (requires a full & up-to-date roll call)

This will let us +/- estimate the absolute movement (assuming by nationality & gender) on the waitlist (though they are not the only two criteria the adcom looks at)

Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
INSEAD has a very high yield. If you are waitlisted, it means that your chances for the given intake are slim. Based on the experience with my clients, I would say about 25% candidates from the waitlist make it to the school.

However, good news is that you will be given priority for next intake as waitlist means that you were a good candidate but INSEAD didn't have enough seats. You need to keep in touch with the adcom, keep on sending updates every couple of month and re-iterate your interest in the school. Then, apply for the next intake.

Regards,

George Jacobs
https://www.htbconsultants.com Affordable Essay Editing Service
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAEssayHelp wrote:
INSEAD has a very high yield. If you are waitlisted, it means that your chances for the given intake are slim. Based on the experience with my clients, I would say about 25% candidates from the waitlist make it to the school.

However, good news is that you will be given priority for next intake as waitlist means that you were a good candidate but INSEAD didn't have enough seats. You need to keep in touch with the adcom, keep on sending updates every couple of month and re-iterate your interest in the school. Then, apply for the next intake.

Regards,

George Jacobs
https://www.htbconsultants.com Affordable Essay Editing Service

George,

Thanks for the insight. However this does not necessarily compare with an accepted.com interview with INSEAD adcom (about 2/5 down the page), where one answer states:

"It varies a lot. We have been in a position where most of the people on the waitlist were offered a place. I have also experienced situations where we were not able to give many places to the waitlisted candidates."

Source: https://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... nsead.aspx

I think stating a % figure so authoritatively is misleading, and while I am by no means an admissions professional, I believe it to be equally inaccurate. I'd like to know how many people in your experience you have consulted for wrt INSEAD, and how many of those were waitlisted. With all due respect, I would think very few made it to the W/L stage for you to qualify that statement.

A bit of reality and expectation-management is always welcome, but the bluntness of your statement is a "reality call" gone too far, and again, as far as I'm concerned at this point, unqualified. Look at the Jan 11 Intake Waitlist thread. 65% of those registered on the thread were ultimately accepted. That's not 25%, it's not 35% or even 45%. Yes, the sample size is small, but it's at least a somewhat qualified figure.

And yes, INSEAD's yield is high -- among the highest across the board from what I understand. I would say in the high 70%s. But over 20% of applicants still decide not to enroll at INSEAD, for whatever reason (HBS/Stanford/Wharton/LBS/?). Some people, believe it or not, apply to INSEAD as a 2nd or 3rd choice. I would be shocked if the adcom did not manage the size of their waitlist accordingly, and a figure of 25% does not logically click with me when the adcom says the list is "comparatively small". If the long-term run-rate conversion from W/L-to-admit were indeed 25%, then I, as an admissions professional at INSEAD (were I one), would at least halve the size of the W/L'd candidates in order to minimize the amount of time spent on monthly reviews and make my life easier.

I'm not saying my figure of 65% is particularly accurate either. As the adcom mentions in the above interview, they've seen instances of near 100% W/L-to-Admit, and ones closer to the opposite extreme. However, my hunch is that the most analogous comparison would be the last 2 intakes, chronologically, especially with respect to those registered on GMATClub (a self-selecting group not necessarily comparable to the average INSEAD applicant or waitlister, for that matter). As a side, I would imagine their closer-to-zero W/L-to-admit % was during the GFC in 08/09 or thereabouts when I-bankers were losing their jobs in waves. Could have also been in 01/02/03 for similar reasons.

All conjecture aside, let's be honest with ourselves. I don't have the actual figures, you don't have them either (though you probably have more direct, personal experience with the waitlist process). The only people who do (INSEAD), aren't generous enough to disclose them for our benefit.

What I think we can agree upon is the fact that waitlisted applicants need to be realistic about their future plans and manage their own expectations; but that does not mean that they need to be pessimistic and hang their heads about their chances at INSEAD. Might as well apply to your second and third choice schools in the meantime, and wait out the next two months for a positive response from the admissions committee instead of admitting defeat.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Great insights PKV!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

Count me in the waitlist as well!! =)

M/30 yrs/ Korean/720/ 5 yrs WE in IT and SCM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:INSEAD Class of J'12
Send PM
some very interesting details and analysis of those by PKV. Kudos.

I think, though, that from this point onwards it is only matter of someone similar in profile to your deciding not to accept the offer. I would like to believe that 65% acceptance rate sounds logical as otherwise AdCom would be creating too much hassel from themselves also.

Just imagine how many people would be trying to send updates etc.

Lets keep our heads high and wait for the best!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I am waitlisted too - M/26/Indian in Australia/5.5 yrs IT + Entrepreneur/710
I sent my waitlist acceptance on 21/12/10 but no reply from anyone.

Has anyone received acknowledgment of their waitlist acceptance..........tried calling Singy office and could not find anyone as they are on holidays....
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts