Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 11:06

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 13:26
I am afraid this tread might be biased, but I will still present my dilemma.

I have been admitted to three schools: INSEAD, Copenhagen Business School and University of Florida (UF). INSEAD was my #1 school, and I was super-excited to be admitted. But UF has offered a 90% scholarship on tuition fees, resulting in the difference to be approx. EUR 65,000.

What to do? Is INSEAD worth the extra EUR 65,000 or will I do OK with an MBA from UF?

All replies are welcome.
Current Student
Schools: Insead '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 10

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 04:50
@12345av

Congrats and an enviable position to be in.

I admittedly dont know much about UF. However, I think to make your decision you have to weigh what it is that you want to do when you finish with your MBA. I believe as with most large state schools (I could be wrong in this case) that they place generally well within their region. I also think if the companies that you want to work for recruit on campus at the school you are going to, then you should have at least a decent shot of joining them post MBA.

With that being said though, INSEAD was your number one school. There are reasons for that. I am sure most of us on this thread have similar motivations for wanting to attend. I would still go to INSEAD unless there was a clear reason and advantage (besides money - this is a life long investment, spread out over the rest of your life the difference of 65k should be minimalized) to attending UF.

I dont know if that helps or not. I could also be way off here. Anyways just my .02
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 09:29
Guys, I understand that interviewers receive only a copy of our profile but not our essays. Am I right?
Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 10:30
I wrote to my admission coordinator last week and she told me that it's not necessary to send your essays but it's up to you if you wish to share them with your interviewers. Now I wonder what the best strategy is...
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 11:28
ss84 wrote:
@12345av

I admittedly dont know much about UF. However, I think to make your decision you have to weigh what it is that you want to do when you finish with your MBA. I believe as with most large state schools (I could be wrong in this case) that they place generally well within their region. I also think if the companies that you want to work for recruit on campus at the school you are going to, then you should have at least a decent shot of joining them post MBA.

With that being said though, INSEAD was your number one school. There are reasons for that. I am sure most of us on this thread have similar motivations for wanting to attend. I would still go to INSEAD unless there was a clear reason and advantage (besides money - this is a life long investment, spread out over the rest of your life the difference of 65k should be minimalized) to attending UF.

I dont know if that helps or not. I could also be way off here. Anyways just my .02

I live in Europe and plan to work and live in Europe post-graduation (i.e.: not in Florida so recruitment at UF doesn't really appeal to me). My only concern is the money... I try to tell my self that I only live once etc. and that money is paper, paper is wood... and we got a lot of wood :-) But it is still a tough decision. Thanks anyway for your point of view.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:07
12345av wrote:
ss84 wrote:
@12345av

I live in Europe and plan to work and live in Europe post-graduation (i.e.: not in Florida so recruitment at UF doesn't really appeal to me). My only concern is the money... I try to tell my self that I only live once etc. and that money is paper, paper is wood... and we got a lot of wood :-) But it is still a tough decision. Thanks anyway for your point of view.

Go to Insead. That's it. Nothing to think about. 65,000 dollars over a 30 year career is peanuts.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Insead '13

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 22:16
LB83 wrote:
I wrote to my admission coordinator last week and she told me that it's not necessary to send your essays but it's up to you if you wish to share them with your interviewers. Now I wonder what the best strategy is...

Only provide what's asked for. Let the interviewers decide what info they want to ask you in person, that's what the interview is for.
Intern
Intern

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 00:07
has anyone done an interview yet? i have an interview tomorrow and was wondering what questions i should expect
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: IE '15
WE: General Management (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 15:30
prenky wrote:
has anyone done an interview yet? i have an interview tomorrow and was wondering what questions i should expect

Good luck mate ! I heard from the guys who got admission that the interviews last for around 90 mins or so and they usually ask general questions. They do not grill people in interviews !

:)Rama:)

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.23

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 09:23
I am planning on applying for September 2012 in Round 3.

From other forums, I see that people who have registered to Insead MBA connect can view the number of admitted candidates and the nationality distribution. Considering the fact that, more than 4 weeks have passed since the admit notifications of Round 1, could someone please share the number of admitted candidates on MBA connect?

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 16:18
rakedmaramon wrote:

From other forums, I see that people who have registered to Insead MBA connect can view the number of admitted candidates and the nationality distribution. Considering the fact that, more than 4 weeks have passed since the admit notifications of Round 1, could someone please share the number of admitted candidates on MBA connect?

Thanks

219 admitted so far (not sure if they remove the individuals who did not pay for the deposits).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 02:05
Hsu wrote:
rakedmaramon wrote:

Thanks

219 admitted so far (not sure if they remove the individuals who did not pay for the deposits).

Do you know whether people with dual citizenship are counted twice?
Would it be possible to have detailed figures per nationality?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 08:37
I applied in R2 and was asked by INSEAD to rewrite my GMAT and apply for R3. Has anyone experienced this and had any success?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 24

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 09:34
Psiga wrote:
I applied in R2 and was asked by INSEAD to rewrite my GMAT and apply for R3. Has anyone experienced this and had any success?

I assume you have a real chance if they specifically asked you to do so.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 24

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 09:36
Whis wrote:
Hsu wrote:
rakedmaramon wrote:

Thanks

Do you know whether people with dual citizenship are counted twice?
Would it be possible to have detailed figures per nationality?

219 admits so far: each person is counted once. Which nationality are you interested in?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 15:03
Whis: you cannot get a full list of admits by nationality, but one can restrict the search so as to see it one by one. As with "phdes", I can also give you the number of admits of the country you are interested in.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 15:03
Psiga wrote:

Oh! Interesting. What was your score?
Intern
Intern

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 15:30
Ducksworth wrote:
Psiga wrote:

Oh! Interesting. What was your score?

650 - the discrepancy between verbal and quant was highly skewed to verbal (panicked on the math section). So I'm guessing that's what I need to adjust.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 15:44
Psiga wrote:
650 - the discrepancy between verbal and quant was highly skewed to verbal (panicked on the math section). So I'm guessing that's what I need to adjust.

I see. Sounds as if you have a good shot of being admitted.
Intern
Intern

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 15:48
Ducksworth wrote:
Psiga wrote:

I see. Sounds as if you have a good shot of being admitted.

Thanks! I appreciate your optimism.
Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2013, 15:48