Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 06:07
seriousmonkey wrote:
sundawns wrote:
seriousmonkey wrote:
Ack - This wait is no fun at all... I can't keep watching stuff on youtube all night till 4:30 am here...


Hey, i see you've applied to ISB as well. How did that interview go? (i just got done with mine last week. Went just about average i felt)



It was not too bad- The interview actually began late and they gave me some case study after all the normal questions- It was not too bad- I think I did well on the case study... Good luck to you, sundawns....




Just got the dreaded email from Stephanie Hanny. Not picked! :-(
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 06:10
Rejected :(
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 108
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 09:35
Sorry to hear about the dings.

And good luck to all who got interviews.

Last edited by TwoTimesTheCharm on 18 Jan 2013, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 19
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 10:02
D

Last edited by beingnr on 11 Feb 2013, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 19:56
GMAT is just one small part of overall application. Your essays, professional experience and leadership potential also count.
Recently, after all those financial crisis, schools are concerned with their reputation. So schools are putting a lot of weightage on your post-MBA success potential. If you're just a typical Indian, working in IT on L1 visa on a "monkey" job, what INSEAD MBA could do for you to make you successful in your career objective? It's for you to find out.
Carefully review your profile (and potential) and apply to other schools and don't make the same mistakes which you made in INSEAD application.
Diversity is a grossly misused term when it comes to business school admission.
A country of 3.5 million population can have 17 candidates
A country of 4.8 million population can have 27 candidates
A country of 7.9 million population can have 25 candidates
A country of 1210 million population can have 83 candidates
A country of 1353 million population can have 36 candidates

What would be the diversity among those 17 candidates and 36 candidates? If you see the career report, you'll get it.

Good luck for your other admission applications.

beingkp wrote:
Not accepted. Really surprised because I was confident on this one (with 760 on GMAT, 6.5 years of work experience, 1.5 years in USA, etc.)

Seems like they made some hard decisions to keep up the nationality diversity resulting into rejecting Indians (a significant part of the applicant pool).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2012
Posts: 22
Location: United States
Schools: Insead '13
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 15:45
Good luck to all those who have interviews for R2. To those asking about how the interviews are and what role they play in the selection process - well basically if you have been invited to interview it means that you have passed the "paper test", i.e. your application looks good. During your interviews, INSEAD is trying to find out, through alumni, whether:

1) you are truly the person you have represented yourself on paper (the credibility test)
2) you have confidence and are someone who has communicated with or has the potential to communicate with senior management without getting fazed (the confidence test)
3) you will maintain and add to the culture at INSEAD (the "do I like you" test)

If you are someone who truly wants to go to INSEAD for the right reasons (refer website) and have not misrepresented yourself in your application, you should be fine. The interviewers are very good at weeding out people who they feel don't truly want to go to INSEAD and have just applied there as one of many other schools.

Although this is not what the official correspondence suggests, my hunch is that your "paper application" becomes irrelevant if you have reached the interview stage UNLESS you get wait-listed and are being compared with another candidate for a single spot.

I have also read somewhere (and this matches with what I have observed) that if both your interviewers recommend you, you get in. If one recommends you and the other doesn't, you get wait-listed and if neither recommend you then you get dinged.

Hope this helps and good luck to all those who have interviews.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 16:55
astronomer wrote:
Although this is not what the official correspondence suggests, my hunch is that your "paper application" becomes irrelevant if you have reached the interview stage UNLESS you get wait-listed and are being compared with another candidate for a single spot.


I agree. Recommenders do not have access to essays, for example. Indeed, they only receive what you send them (the interview instructions specify clearly what you are allowed to send) which is a very small subset of the entire application. This is your opportunity to start from scratch. Make sure you understand and communicate clearly what INSEAD can do for you, and what you can do for INSEAD. Very good luck to everyone.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Posts: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Insead '13 (WL)
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 23:04
astronomer wrote:
I have also read somewhere (and this matches with what I have observed) that if both your interviewers recommend you, you get in. If one recommends you and the other doesn't, you get wait-listed and if neither recommend you then you get dinged.


Well, from my current experience this is a misconception. I know that both my interviewers have recommended me (as they have asked me to keep in touch and I have) and I have been waitlisted. When I called one of them the reaction was literally: "Wait, what? How is that possible?!"

So it varies, the major thing is the diversity of the class and if there are just too many <gender> <ethnicity> <nationality> <background> (fill in the blanks) as good or better than you, you get waitlisted or even rejected.

Hope this helps and good luck to all R2s on your interviews!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 12
Schools: Insead '14 (S)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 06:26
Didn't get a follow up with interview details yet. How long does it usually take to hear back with details?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 11:26
KiliM wrote:
Didn't get a follow up with interview details yet. How long does it usually take to hear back with details?


I have received my interview details this afternoon, exactly one week after the interview invitation email.

But there's no rule as it mainly depends on how long it takes your coordinator to contact alumni and then alumni to accept the interviewer role.

Just be patient and relax

Last edited by Whis on 22 Jan 2013, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2013
Posts: 2
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 13:26
I am afraid this tread might be biased, but I will still present my dilemma.

I have been admitted to three schools: INSEAD, Copenhagen Business School and University of Florida (UF). INSEAD was my #1 school, and I was super-excited to be admitted. But UF has offered a 90% scholarship on tuition fees, resulting in the difference to be approx. EUR 65,000.

What to do? Is INSEAD worth the extra EUR 65,000 or will I do OK with an MBA from UF?

All replies are welcome.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2012
Posts: 40
Location: United States
Schools: Insead '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 10

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 04:50
@12345av

Congrats and an enviable position to be in.

I admittedly dont know much about UF. However, I think to make your decision you have to weigh what it is that you want to do when you finish with your MBA. I believe as with most large state schools (I could be wrong in this case) that they place generally well within their region. I also think if the companies that you want to work for recruit on campus at the school you are going to, then you should have at least a decent shot of joining them post MBA.

With that being said though, INSEAD was your number one school. There are reasons for that. I am sure most of us on this thread have similar motivations for wanting to attend. I would still go to INSEAD unless there was a clear reason and advantage (besides money - this is a life long investment, spread out over the rest of your life the difference of 65k should be minimalized) to attending UF.

I dont know if that helps or not. I could also be way off here. Anyways just my .02
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 09:29
Guys, I understand that interviewers receive only a copy of our profile but not our essays. Am I right?
Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 10:30
I wrote to my admission coordinator last week and she told me that it's not necessary to send your essays but it's up to you if you wish to share them with your interviewers. Now I wonder what the best strategy is...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2013
Posts: 2
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 11:28
ss84 wrote:
@12345av

Congrats and an enviable position to be in.

I admittedly dont know much about UF. However, I think to make your decision you have to weigh what it is that you want to do when you finish with your MBA. I believe as with most large state schools (I could be wrong in this case) that they place generally well within their region. I also think if the companies that you want to work for recruit on campus at the school you are going to, then you should have at least a decent shot of joining them post MBA.

With that being said though, INSEAD was your number one school. There are reasons for that. I am sure most of us on this thread have similar motivations for wanting to attend. I would still go to INSEAD unless there was a clear reason and advantage (besides money - this is a life long investment, spread out over the rest of your life the difference of 65k should be minimalized) to attending UF.

I dont know if that helps or not. I could also be way off here. Anyways just my .02


I live in Europe and plan to work and live in Europe post-graduation (i.e.: not in Florida so recruitment at UF doesn't really appeal to me). My only concern is the money... I try to tell my self that I only live once etc. and that money is paper, paper is wood... and we got a lot of wood :-) But it is still a tough decision. Thanks anyway for your point of view.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:07
12345av wrote:
ss84 wrote:
@12345av

Congrats and an enviable position to be in.

I admittedly dont know much about UF. However, I think to make your decision you have to weigh what it is that you want to do when you finish with your MBA. I believe as with most large state schools (I could be wrong in this case) that they place generally well within their region. I also think if the companies that you want to work for recruit on campus at the school you are going to, then you should have at least a decent shot of joining them post MBA.

With that being said though, INSEAD was your number one school. There are reasons for that. I am sure most of us on this thread have similar motivations for wanting to attend. I would still go to INSEAD unless there was a clear reason and advantage (besides money - this is a life long investment, spread out over the rest of your life the difference of 65k should be minimalized) to attending UF.

I dont know if that helps or not. I could also be way off here. Anyways just my .02


I live in Europe and plan to work and live in Europe post-graduation (i.e.: not in Florida so recruitment at UF doesn't really appeal to me). My only concern is the money... I try to tell my self that I only live once etc. and that money is paper, paper is wood... and we got a lot of wood :-) But it is still a tough decision. Thanks anyway for your point of view.




Go to Insead. That's it. Nothing to think about. 65,000 dollars over a 30 year career is peanuts.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Posts: 13
Schools: Insead '13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 22:16
LB83 wrote:
I wrote to my admission coordinator last week and she told me that it's not necessary to send your essays but it's up to you if you wish to share them with your interviewers. Now I wonder what the best strategy is...

Only provide what's asked for. Let the interviewers decide what info they want to ask you in person, that's what the interview is for.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 00:07
has anyone done an interview yet? i have an interview tomorrow and was wondering what questions i should expect
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2006
Posts: 2
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: IE '15
WE: General Management (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 15:30
prenky wrote:
has anyone done an interview yet? i have an interview tomorrow and was wondering what questions i should expect

Good luck mate ! I heard from the guys who got admission that the interviews last for around 90 mins or so and they usually ask general questions. They do not grill people in interviews !

_________________

:)Rama:)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 2
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 09:23
I am planning on applying for September 2012 in Round 3.

From other forums, I see that people who have registered to Insead MBA connect can view the number of admitted candidates and the nationality distribution. Considering the fact that, more than 4 weeks have passed since the admit notifications of Round 1, could someone please share the number of admitted candidates on MBA connect?

Thanks
Re: INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2013, 09:23
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
87 Experts publish their posts in the topic Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants Domrep 946 14 Jul 2013, 06:01
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic HEC Paris September 2013 Intake - Calling All Applicants rohitrai 98 23 Oct 2012, 00:07
78 Experts publish their posts in the topic INSEAD 2013 JAN - Calling All Applicants rasta 849 16 Feb 2012, 23:38
INSEAD September 2012. Calling all applicants Patcheko80 4 06 Oct 2011, 21:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

INSEAD September 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  26   27   28   29   30   31   32  ...  52    Next  [ 1025 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.