Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
INSEAD Thread Master
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 6

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
rarya wrote:
newinsead, you have a great story! very inspiring. i wonder if all of you have such inspiring stories, i have no chance of getting into INSEAD. i was brought up in 13 different small towns in India and worked my way into university and then a london university. i then got into banking. I was always ambitious and now that my job reached stagnation and i am in a department with 22 year olds to 50 years olds who have no desire to promote , i feel like a trapped bird. i want to get into corporate finance as I see other MBA candidates getting the high flies in life, because banks just would not give a non-MBA even the chance to be interviewed. An MBA for me represents my freedom, freedom to take on more challenges professionally, freedom to travel the world and holiday, freedom to save money for my retiring parents in india, freedom to think of having kids and sending them to top schools, and more importantly freesom for myself as an independant women. I guess these reasons are not entirely as inspirational as some of your stories and reflect practical reasons of zillions in this world, but they are true. i am quite sad now as after reading some of the other essays online, i feel i have no chance and will end of settling in a stagnated finance department! :( :(

As someone that is in a corporate finance/investment banking background it is not as "high flies" as you think it is. The brutal hours and sometimes meaningless work you're doing at 3am on a Saturday night while your closest friends are out enjoying "normal" life, is some of the worst experiences you can have. Sometimes I crave a normal life as opposed to the pseudo-high flying life everyone thinks I have. Be positive, being negative like gigi below you posted isn't the way to succeed. An MBA isn't a magic key that will open any door you want for you but rather a crucial stepping stone to achieve a well defined path you've already set out for yourself.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 05:43
Hey guys, anyone being interviewed? Share your comments and experiences! :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q V

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 09:04
Hi,
has anyone got the final decision ? I am watching my mails and spams everyday...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 5

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 10:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hey, think decisions will be phoned to you on the 18th. As per the trend from prior year (2 days before deadline)
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 0

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
FROM Insead Admissions Blog: Life After INSEAD
So here it is: my first entry as an alumnus almost half a year later. Believe it or not, I started writing this blog back in October straight from INSEAD’s newly renovated bar in Fonty while I waited for my boyfriend to finish his ICA exam. I never imagined that I was going to be back on campus that soon and that things would unfold the way they did. INSEAD did change my life. I was in Paris for the holidays, and naturally I was hanging out with INSEADers. They all had the same questions. How’s it like after INSEAD? How’s your new job? What did you do in P6?

Life after INSEAD is not the same, not as intense, not as crazy. Everyone tries to preserve the same lifestyle in P6. The travelling continues, some people even linger around in Fonty for some time, the partying moves to Paris and neighbouring cities, and constant gatherings all over the world get posted daily on the Facebook group. I spent my P6 between Paris, Scotland, London and Beirut. I hung out with INSEADers all through. I bestowed my job search wisdom upon the new class, and I discovered a new bond with the alumni, which only comes with the “I know what you’re talking about” look.

But the thing is, this doesn’t last. I moved to Dubai end August to start my new job at Microsoft. I realized how much of a pro I’ve become in dragging my bags around the world, getting yet another SIM card and finding another house to settle in. I realized that the pace the rest of the world moves at is much slower than INSEAD’s, even at our dream companies. Things are not as intense. You don’t feel the need to cram meetings, work time, parties, and travel in a day or two. Even if you do, the people around you don’t get it. I also realized that finding a job is overrated. When you’re in the INSEAD bubble you feel that it’s the end of the world if you don’t find a job before graduation. When you finally do and that alarm starts ringing every morning and you can’t say to yourself “I can ditch this class”, you’d wish you can go back to the jobless days.

I got inspired to finish this entry right after representing INSEAD at an MBA fair in Dubai this evening. As I answered the questions of prospective students and talked about my experience, it hit me how transformational that year was. Just 18 months ago, I was in their shoes worrying about my GMAT score and my recommendation letters, and here I am now more confident, career driven and with 400 friends all over the world. So if you’re still living that experience or planning to start it, you should enjoy every moment of it, because it will pass faster than the blink of an eye, and you’ll find yourself looking for pieces of it and people who shared it everywhere you go.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
FROM Insead Admissions Blog: What a Ride!
Imagine an emotional roller coaster that shakes you to your core, pushes you to your limits and challenges your assumptions and career aspirations while exposing you to an invaluable learning experience… and in the end you emerge stronger, more confident, and even more inspired to make a difference. This has been INSEAD for me.

People here dream big – the energy, ambition, and passion on campus are simply contagious and create an environment that broadens your horizons more than you would have imagined possible. I came here convinced that I knew what I wanted to do after INSEAD. Thanks to a first hand experience over the summer, I was able to come back to school with an open mind to really explore the endless opportunities and think deeply about what it is that I really want to do. Coming here with a career in mind is good, but I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to really use this opportunity to learn as much as possible about different career paths and find the one that is right for you.

INSEAD teaches you humility, and at the same time gives you confidence –people here are truly impressive and there is always someone who is better than you even in the things you think you have mastered. This creates incredible learning opportunities for all of us and shapes the whole experience. Then comes recruiting and the endless automatic email dings after you poured your heart and soul into learning about dozens of companies and writing master piece cover letters. You can even get dings from companies that you didn’t apply for… I didn’t have this unique experience but it happened to some, and this just teaches you to not take recruiting too seriously J That’s when your friends here help you get through this, and in the end, it all works out and the hard work pays off. For me that happened when I got three job offers in one day, literally one after the other. I will be changing geography, industry and role!

The INSEAD network is simply unmatched – just think of a company and a location, and chances are there are INSEAD alumni there who will gladly get on a quick call with you. No other school has such a wide-reaching alumni network literally all over the world, and it has been great to already get exposed to it during my career search. It is scary to think that in less than a week our whole class will disperse to all corners of the world, but on the bright side – this just creates even more opportunities for reunions!

We celebrate diversity and like to have a good time – during the National Weeks we experience and immerse in different cultures; chateau parties are the natural way to end a busy week unless we are traveling in big or small groups to various exciting destinations; during Dash, we all show up to class wearing the most ridiculous costumes and still participate in highly intellectual discussions; Cabaret is a true showcase of the various talents that we have, the most notable of which is the annual Swan Lake performance… by guys wearing graceful pink outfits; the inclusivity of the undefeated rugby club also deserves recognition, especially the undefeated rugby socials following each weekly practice.

In just a couple of days over 300 of us are heading to Phuket for our graduation trip – can’t wait to celebrate this year with the rest of our amazing class of 13D!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 10:21
Everyone submitted the official GMAT and English test report to INSEAD already? (R1 applicant)
Just got the email asking me to do that but I am afraid it cannot arrive before the notification date...
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 620 Q V0
GMAT 2: 640 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 11:09
uppereastbbr wrote:
Everyone submitted the official GMAT and English test report to INSEAD already? (R1 applicant)
Just got the email asking me to do that but I am afraid it cannot arrive before the notification date...

If you order the gmat score rpt online, it would be delivered within next 24-48 hrs. I am not sure of toefl though.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 11:45
I did not receive anything requesting the gmat score..did any one else get it?
Intern
Intern

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 03:24
Hi all, I received the GMAT score via email, but had some troubles with the TOEFL. I had to request a hard copy in August and it took a couple of months to arrive in Brazil. Hope it was faster to France :)
However, I strongly suggest to have both copies with us and collect them with advance, in case anything went wront on their way to INSEAD.

Edit: I haven't received any email from INSEAD, but I had checked with them that all documentation was already ok
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 03:46
has anyone in round 2 received an interview invite?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 20:00
This post received
KUDOS
FROM Insead Admissions Blog: Not for the conventional ones
With no doubt doing an MBA is a serious investment and something that anyone keen on it should think of carefully. No doubt.

After reaching the point that pros outweigh the cons of that decision (and that depends most of the time on your unique idiosyncratic case), there is another quite vital point that concerns which MBA programme to go for? I want to discuss that and how I experienced it.

There are definitely a few top MBA programmes out there that, if someone manages to get admitted to, in terms of future monetary return he or she would probably do fine – make tons of bucks, become a top C-suite executive and so on…If you are interested only on the aforementioned, then you should probably stop reading the rest of this post since it’s going to be a waste.

The way I’ve been leading my life so far is to get the most out of things in terms of experiences and friendships that last, since at the very end of the day it would be too superficial for all of us striving constantly to get another extra dollar into our bank accounts.

Life, simply, cannot just be about that.

Within this context, if you have been on a constant wanderlust in your life, enjoying to meet new people in all different and weird places in the world and be able to get out of your comfort zone easily without a hassle and without making it a big deal, then for sure the INSEAD MBA is perhaps the only choice for you and you will know it’s right. It’s right because it feels right for you as a person and above all as a human being interested in the unconventional aspects of things (and here comes the money part discussed previously) but also in contributing socially as much as you can. Before even starting my INSEAD MBA, I am impressed with INDEVOR (a INSEAD social contribution club) and other clubs of that nature and feeling grateful and content that I have other fellow INSEADers going on a Philippines Relief Trek and how future fellow mates are getting together/organizing travelling/designing our 14D logos and T-shirts /gathering up all sort of material re job search, even before officially getting started with the MBA, in all kind of places around the globe with all that in mind.

I am about to begin the INSEAD MBA experience as a member of the 14D class (having applied to the INSEAD MBA only) in a couple of weeks time and I can ensure you this, that if you possess similar attributes as the ones mentioned and having decided you want to do an MBA, then – and believe me on this one – after reading the numerous attestations of alumni from around the globe and getting to know what INSEAD is all about, you will get the same feeling/revelation as I got. That feeling that it is not only the right thing to do but also the only way of doing it. Cause’ it just feels right – as it should.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Insead '14 (M)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 8

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 21:48
Not yet. The wait is excruciating.. I'm almost tempted to apply to other schools just to distract myself :lol:

rarya wrote:
has anyone in round 2 received an interview invite?
Manager
Manager

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 00:53
hey guys, is it the case that we could expect a call on next wednesday?? WoW
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 05:49
R1 applicant here. Interviewed and waiting :sleeping:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 12:03
newsInsead wrote:
With no doubt doing an MBA is a serious investment and something that anyone keen on it should think of carefully. No doubt.

After reaching the point that pros outweigh the cons of that decision (and that depends most of the time on your unique idiosyncratic case), there is another quite vital point that concerns which MBA programme to go for? I want to discuss that and how I experienced it.

There are definitely a few top MBA programmes out there that, if someone manages to get admitted to, in terms of future monetary return he or she would probably do fine – make tons of bucks, become a top C-suite executive and so on…If you are interested only on the aforementioned, then you should probably stop reading the rest of this post since it’s going to be a waste.

The way I’ve been leading my life so far is to get the most out of things in terms of experiences and friendships that last, since at the very end of the day it would be too superficial for all of us striving constantly to get another extra dollar into our bank accounts.

Life, simply, cannot just be about that.

Within this context, if you have been on a constant wanderlust in your life, enjoying to meet new people in all different and weird places in the world and be able to get out of your comfort zone easily without a hassle and without making it a big deal, then for sure the INSEAD MBA is perhaps the only choice for you and you will know it’s right. It’s right because it feels right for you as a person and above all as a human being interested in the unconventional aspects of things (and here comes the money part discussed previously) but also in contributing socially as much as you can. Before even starting my INSEAD MBA, I am impressed with INDEVOR (a INSEAD social contribution club) and other clubs of that nature and feeling grateful and content that I have other fellow INSEADers going on a Philippines Relief Trek and how future fellow mates are getting together/organizing travelling/designing our 14D logos and T-shirts /gathering up all sort of material re job search, even before officially getting started with the MBA, in all kind of places around the globe with all that in mind.

I am about to begin the INSEAD MBA experience as a member of the 14D class (having applied to the INSEAD MBA only) in a couple of weeks time and I can ensure you this, that if you possess similar attributes as the ones mentioned and having decided you want to do an MBA, then – and believe me on this one – after reading the numerous attestations of alumni from around the globe and getting to know what INSEAD is all about, you will get the same feeling/revelation as I got. That feeling that it is not only the right thing to do but also the only way of doing it. Cause’ it just feels right – as it should.[/rss2posts]

Thanks a lot for these posts, particularly this last one. I think it was one of the most sincere ones I've read so far; no trace of university brochure mumbo jumbo.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q V

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 01:20
This is the week of the calls !!!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 29

Premium Member
Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 01:33
truman26 wrote:

All the best guys.

Blog: The MBA Journey of an African Doctor

Blog updated: June 11, 2014

Manager
Manager

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 03:46
knightofdelta wrote:
truman26 wrote:

All the best guys.

I cannot concentrate on my work!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q V0
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 03:55
wonbinofchina wrote:
knightofdelta wrote:
truman26 wrote:

All the best guys.

I cannot concentrate on my work!!!!!

Likewise. My R2 apps have also moved to an auto-halt.
Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2013, 03:55