Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD vs IMD vs Columbia J-Term

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

INSEAD vs IMD vs Columbia J-Term [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 20:33
I am quite fortunate to have been admitted to all 3 business schools but i would like to ask some of you, including admission consultants for their professional opinion.
My background:
M/30/Engineer/Ivy/Pharma industry. Currently in Sales/Marketing role.
Quite keen to get a job in London once i graduate. I am quite open to either strategy/management consulting or join industry in business dev/corp strategy role. Not too sure about I-banking but would not want to completely eliminate that option.
What do you all think about the overall prestige/reputation of these schools ?
Initially, I thought that IMD would be the best bet, but i am not quite sure about how well does IMD place people in the UK. Can any current student or alum comment on this?
INSEAD on the other hand places students really well into the UK ( almost 30%).
NOw, the only reason that columbia comes into the mix is because i have been told over and over again that you must attend the best B-school that you get into.
So, i guess its between Columbia J-Term or INSEAD Jan start. If i do choose Columbia, I understand that i might have to get an initial gig in NYC for a couple of years before transferring to London. But is Columbia better than INSEAD ?
Any advice?
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: INSEAD vs IMD vs Columbia J-Term [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 07:12
Congrats -you three great schools to choose from. If you want to work in London, INSEAD is the top of your list. INSEAD is pound for pound better than CBS for all things except NYC jobs/network.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Re: INSEAD vs IMD vs Columbia J-Term [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 20:32
congratulations. all the three schools are great. my view is: the common mistake between most of the applicants is that they comparing between different styles. in fact it depends on your own characteristics, your goals, your career plan, and based on which curriculum you fit in. if you want to work in finance in New York then Columbia without question.
if you want to work in consulting then INSEAD. if you want to work in industry then IMD.
note that: columbia j-term is NOT one year program. it is exactly same to the traditional two year except the internship. so it slightly better than INSEAD and IMD. actually, it is solution between two year and one year programs. BUT, you should note also that INSEAD is very favorable to the consulting firms. and IMD is very atrong in europe.
on the other side: columbia is an Ivy university and you will get your degree from university then bigger alumni network.
again: it totally depends on your plans and you should note the differences between these schools in selection.
in all cases: they are all great institutions and top tier programs.
good luck...
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD vs IMD vs Columbia J-Term [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 02:02
Sorry to debunk the "go to this school for this" myth. The way consulting recruitment works is you supply your favoured locations at time of application. If London is your favoured destination then you simply say so in your job applications. You can do this from NY, Fontenbleu or from Lausanne. It usually does not make too much of a difference where the application came from as long as the consulting firm of your choice recruits from your school. Unfortunately though, a LOT of people want to recruit for London location - including most of the London Business School consulting people, the INSEAD consulting people (also other Euro programs - Oxbridge IMD etc.). The location itself might help with industry jobs which dont have set recruitment programs. I know several folks who were able to network in industry in London quite successfully. Not so sure whether this would be easy from within France and Switzerland. On the other hand there are several industries that are located within Switzerland (think Pharma and Insurance) that recruit from London (and probably IMD/INSEAD). So, to summarise: For consulting probably INSEAD / Columbia for strong consulting placement numbers, however, the post graduation location of London may be tricky.

Good luck.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Re: INSEAD vs IMD vs Columbia J-Term [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 18:40
bsd_lover wrote:
Sorry to debunk the "go to this school for this" myth. The way consulting recruitment works is you supply your favoured locations at time of application. If London is your favoured destination then you simply say so in your job applications. You can do this from NY, Fontenbleu or from Lausanne. It usually does not make too much of a difference where the application came from as long as the consulting firm of your choice recruits from your school. Unfortunately though, a LOT of people want to recruit for London location - including most of the London Business School consulting people, the INSEAD consulting people (also other Euro programs - Oxbridge IMD etc.). The location itself might help with industry jobs which dont have set recruitment programs. I know several folks who were able to network in industry in London quite successfully. Not so sure whether this would be easy from within France and Switzerland. On the other hand there are several industries that are located within Switzerland (think Pharma and Insurance) that recruit from London (and probably IMD/INSEAD). So, to summarise: For consulting probably INSEAD / Columbia for strong consulting placement numbers, however, the post graduation location of London may be tricky.

Good luck.

You are right. but I am taking about the realty and facts. usually, INSEAD is preferable in consulting because the management practices courses and simulations and most importantly because most of its student come from consulting firms, so the experience there is slightly better than the other. but, again all of them are great.
Re: INSEAD vs IMD vs Columbia J-Term   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2010, 18:40