Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 06:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD vs. LBS?!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD / LBS (admit)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

INSEAD vs. LBS?! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 18:05
Hi Everyone!

So, I'm facing what's proving to be a very difficult decision: LBS or INSEAD. I've visited both schools, talked to students and alumni, and though there are some obvious differences, I can really see myself having a great experience at both of them.

I have 3 questions for the people on this forum:

1 - Besides the obvious attributes (e.g. 1 year vs 2 yrs, location, etc.) what would be your insight in choosing one or the other?

2 - Though I'll be returning to my current job post-MBA, I'm keen to do an internship in luxury goods or hospitality. Is one of these schools is more successful in that area? More internships, more relationships, more alumni? I haven't found a ton of information on this yet.

3 - Does anyone ever successfully switch their INSEAD promotion? I'm admitted to the Dec 2011 INSEAD class, starting in Singapore. For personal reasons, I'd really like to start my MBA now, and not in 7 months. If INSEAD can offer me September in Fontainebleau, I'm 99% likely to choose it. Is it worthwhile to try to negotiate?

Really appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: INSEAD vs. LBS?! [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 06:35
1. Besides the obvious stuff, it comes down to what you want to do during and after. The obvious stuff is probably where your decision should flow from: location, lifestyle, career choice after MBA -etc. You are in a great position and can't really go wrong.

2. No insight, except that INSEAD is in France so that might help, and LBS has tremendous exchange opportunities. One of those exchanges, i believe, is with ESSEC in France which is a top luxury goods school.

3. From my understanding you wont be able to do this given that they spend a lot of time managing diversity and that the september class is all but complete. Its worth a try, but its likely futile.

Hope that helps and good luck with your decision.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD vs. LBS?! [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 08:34
Agree with the above post. Also, the Sep-June program at INSEAD will not provide you an internship opportunity, unlike the Jan-Dec program where you can use the 2 months summer break for internship.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: INSEAD vs. LBS?! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 18:19
levfin2003 wrote:
Agree with the above post. Also, the Sep-June program at INSEAD will not provide you an internship opportunity, unlike the Jan-Dec program where you can use the 2 months summer break for internship.

levfin2003,

The GMAT split on your profile doesn't make sense. Did you mean a V38 or do you actually have a higher overall mark. Just thought to point that out.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD vs. LBS?! [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 10:57
I second the ESSEC exchange. ESSEC is the only offering an MBA specialized in the luxury industry - the program usually is able to get a lot of industry insiders from the top luxury groups for talks and there's an excellent internship program in luxury companies. Not sure if you'll be able to do all these in the exchange but it's worth investigating...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: INSEAD vs. LBS?! [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 10:57
mysamgmatclub wrote:
levfin2003 wrote:

levfin2003,

The GMAT split on your profile doesn't make sense. Did you mean a V38 or do you actually have a higher overall mark. Just thought to point that out.

Ah, I never noticed. Its Q48 and V 41.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: INSEAD vs. LBS?! [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 18:47
I'm biased, but I've got no doubt in my mind that INSEAD was right for me.

Check it out for yourself:

youtu.be/V26F0ztg0xg

(since I'm new to the forums, I'm not allowed to post websites :| , so the best alternative is the above... just stick it into your address bar :) )

Good luck with the decision...
Re: INSEAD vs. LBS?!   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2011, 18:47