Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Insead vs UCLA/USC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Insead vs UCLA/USC [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 09:05
Friends,
I've been reading people's comments on this message board and they are all have been helpful.
Anyway, was just wondering if you guys can pitch in... every little advice/info/inputs help in making my future decisions.

I work as an engineer for a public utility agency and they sponsor a lot of our engineers to USC and UCLA - with little work commitment upon completion of mba program.

I'm looking into changing my career into MC or finance, and in the future we (the wife and I) are really hoping to relocate to somewhere Asia-Pacific-Aussie. I'm weighing my options between staying with my current job and going to USC/UCLA route -vs- quitting my job and going to INSEAD to pursue my goals.

That being said, I'd appreciate your inputs on some of my questions:
1. How would you rate USC/UCLA vs INSEAD?
2. How's USC/UCLA vs INSEAD's prestige in Asia-Pacific region?
3. Which would give better opportunity for career change and location change to Asia-Pacific?
4. If I do the math, giving up my good paying and stable job for an mba that not many average joes know sounds ridiculous. Can someone give me a different perspective on this?

Many thanks for those who can pitch in and hoping to hear lots of inputs.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q V
GMAT 2: 630 Q V
GMAT 3: 660 Q V
GMAT 4: 680 Q V
GMAT 5: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.12
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 1

Re: Insead vs UCLA/USC [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 00:29
This post received
KUDOS
i was deciding between INSEAD and a us school. i interviewed INSEAD alumni, current students, and even flew to visit the singapore campus. here are my thoughts.

1. INSEAD compares to the top 8 us schools. i met current students accepted into Wharton, Kellogg, Columbia, and MIT and chose INSEAD.
2. If you are going into MC, INSEAD is very well respected in Asia (and worldwide). INSEAD is less know for their finance. As you get further away from strict mba employers, the INSEAD brand significantly diminishes. None of my Asian coworkers, friends, or family knew INSEAD (unless they had an MBA). All my Asian coworkers knew UCLA and, to a lesser extent, USC. This is also true in America.
3. Both would help change careers. INSEAD would give better opportunity in Asia. It's a lot easier to recruit and build your network when you are on the same continent.
4. people who matter will know a ucla/usc/insead mba. hopefully you will not be working for an average joe after an mba.

i ultimately chose a us school because it's hard for me, an american, to find a job in asia since i do not speak/read the language fluently and want ex-pat salary. even in singapore, MC firms want you to fluently know a south east asian language. however, i found plenty of examples of insead folks who did move to korea, japan, or china without knowing the language and are getting paid real well, but i consider this the exception. obviously not an issue in aussie.

insead is an amazing school and i would recommend it to anybody considering a 1 year program, considering MC, and/or considering working in EU/Asia.

ucla and usc seems to be respectable brands in asia as well. more as universities though than as anderson and marshall. i'd look at their employment reports to see where their grads end up.

a free ride (paid by your company) at UCLA or USC sounds pretty sweet though.
Re: Insead vs UCLA/USC   [#permalink] 27 May 2012, 00:29