Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Insead vs Yale

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Insead vs Yale [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 04:45
Hi,

I've a "big" problem.
I'm honored with being accepted to INSEAD and Yale Business School and I need some Input to clear my mind.

I'm 30yrs old; German; 5yrs work exp. I applied to 6 schools 5 american 1 european. I was accepted at the mentioned two; one status is still open and I was dismissed at three.
My problem is that I like the USA very much (at least I think so) As a German I know the European/French culture quite well and the bigger challenge would be going to the states. On the other side I would start in Singapour and finish in France. INSEAD is shorter and higher ranked. Yale has a bigger name. Although I think the name is more for it's Law-School. In the states I could improve my English in 22 months much better than in 10 months. The ties between my fellow students might also be stronger. If I study in the US I increase my chances of working there after the program - although I'm not shure where I want to work. I can imagine to in any developed country on the planet. I'm working in the production industry and have the idea changing to finance after graduation. PE or IB. But I can also imagine a start in the consumers industry or again in the production industry. This insecurity gives a point to a longer program. I'm sure that I will not change into Consulting.

What is your experience/ idea/ knowledge?
Where do you think are the highest chances
- to develop my personality
- get the best job offer (career aspects)
- from which school employ companies enganged in PE, IB like UBS, Deutsche Bank, ...
- get the biggest paycheck

Thanks for your valuable soughts!
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Insead vs Yale [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 10:09
I read somewhere that INSEAD is more for consulting and not finance. If you really want to do finance, especially in wallstreet, Yale would be better.

If you won't invest in yourself, why would anybody wants to invest in you?

VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 31

Re: Insead vs Yale [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 10:50
InsYal wrote:
Hi,

I've a "big" problem.
I'm honored with being accepted to INSEAD and Yale Business School and I need some Input to clear my mind.

I'm 30yrs old; German; 5yrs work exp. I applied to 6 schools 5 american 1 european. I was accepted at the mentioned two; one status is still open and I was dismissed at three.
My problem is that I like the USA very much (at least I think so) As a German I know the European/French culture quite well and the bigger challenge would be going to the states. On the other side I would start in Singapour and finish in France. INSEAD is shorter and higher ranked. Yale has a bigger name. Although I think the name is more for it's Law-School. In the states I could improve my English in 22 months much better than in 10 months. The ties between my fellow students might also be stronger. If I study in the US I increase my chances of working there after the program - although I'm not shure where I want to work. I can imagine to in any developed country on the planet. I'm working in the production industry and have the idea changing to finance after graduation. PE or IB. But I can also imagine a start in the consumers industry or again in the production industry. This insecurity gives a point to a longer program. I'm sure that I will not change into Consulting.

What is your experience/ idea/ knowledge?
Where do you think are the highest chances
- to develop my personality
- get the best job offer (career aspects)
- from which school employ companies enganged in PE, IB like UBS, Deutsche Bank, ...
- get the biggest paycheck

Thanks for your valuable soughts!

If you want to live in the US then go to Yale.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 10

Re: Insead vs Yale [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
see whether u want to spend more time studying management. If yes, then go for Yale and if no, then go for insead. both B-schools are equally good and both have almost the same placement.

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Insead vs Yale [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 11:29
Thanks for your thoughts.
Manager
Manager
Schools: McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Insead vs Yale [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 19:22
+1 to lagomez. I know it sounds simplistic, but if you want to work in Eurasia then go to INSEAD if you want to want in North America then head to Yale. Honestly nothing else matters. Their relative financial times rankings etc. mean nothing
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 41

Re: Insead vs Yale [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 05:00
I agree that if you want to work in US, Yale will have a better network post-mba. Also, if you want to switch your career to Finance, or if you are not sure, a 2-year mba will be a better choice.

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Re: Insead vs Yale [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 09:27
Expert's post
Hi InsYal,

Congratulations on being accepted into both programs. They are both excellent business schools.

I agree with some of the earlier posts, and believe you should seriously consider where you would like to work post-graduation. If you are very interested in working on Wall Street for example, Yale would offer more opportunity given the proximity. I also recommend you speak to the career centers at each program to see which companies recruit from the schools.

I hope this was of help. Best of luck and I am sure you will make the right decision.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Re: Insead vs Yale   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2011, 09:27