Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Insect infestation is a danger for households in which

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Insect infestation is a danger for households in which [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 10:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

66% (02:30) correct 34% (01:18) wrong based on 147 sessions
Insect infestation is a danger for households in which certain standards of cleanliness are not maintained. So that householders are able to detect such infestations before they become serious enough to pose a danger, the county sanitation board has mailed a newsletter to all residents of the county, listing those signs that indicate the beginnings of an insect infestation and encouraging householders to check for such signs.

Which of the following, if true, is the best criticism of the newsletter as a means of achieving the sanitation department's goals?

A)Many insect infestations have certain characteristics that cannot be detected by the investigation of a householder.

B)Once an insect infestation is known to exist, the steps taken to eliminate such an infestation vary according to the species of insect and the locale of the infestation.

C)The newsletter was sent to all residents of the county, including those who maintain the standards of cleanliness that preclude the possibility of insect infestation.

D)Insect infestation is more common in single-family homes than it is in apartments.

E)People who do not maintain minimal standards of cleanliness are unlikely to inspect their homes for the signs of early insect infestation.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 10:20
Insect infestation is a danger for households in which certain standards of cleanliness are not maintained. So that householders are able to detect such infestations before they become serious enough to pose a danger, the county sanitation board has mailed a newsletter to all residents of the county, listing those signs that indicate the beginnings of an insect infestation and encouraging householders to check for such signs.

Which of the following, if true, is the best criticism of the newsletter as a means of achieving the sanitation department's goals?

B)Once an insect infestation is known to exist, the steps taken to eliminate such an infestation vary according to the species of insect and the locale of the infestation.
Irrelevant.

C)The newsletter was sent to all residents of the county, including those who maintain the standards of cleanliness that preclude the possibility of insect infestation.
Irrelevant.

D)Insect infestation is more common in single-family homes than it is in apartments.
Irrelevant.

A)Many insect infestations have certain characteristics that cannot be detected by the investigation of a householder.
This says that even though a person may read the newsletter, there are some signs which can only be detected by an expert. But then why would the newsletter publish highly expert advice? The newsletter would obviously print advice helpful to the common householder.

E)People who do not maintain minimal standards of cleanliness are unlikely to inspect their homes for the signs of early insect infestation.
This says some people are unlikely to inspect the house inspite of the newsletter. But it says 'unlikely', so there are many people who do not maintain minimal standards of cleanliness who would still check for infestation after reading the newsletter. This does not COMPLETELY weaken the departments goals.

So i go for A.

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 10:31
themangoman wrote:

may be true but there are also crtain char. they can be detected.
irrelevant
so what?
irrelevant

E. because lazy people who dont care about the cleanliness wont really care for inspecting their homes so

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 10:49
siyer wrote:

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

This says that even though a person may read the newsletter, there are some signs which can only be detected by an expert. But then why would the newsletter publish highly expert advice? The newsletter would obviously print advice helpful to the common householder.

This says some people are unlikely to inspect the house inspite of the newsletter. But it says 'unlikely', so there are many people who do not maintain minimal standards of cleanliness who would still check for infestation after reading the newsletter. This does not COMPLETELY weaken the departments goals.

So i go for A.

So did I. The official answer seems to suggest E. I think it's A
Manager
Manager
Schools: S3 Asia MBA (Fudan University, Korea University, National University of Singapore)
WE 1: Market Research
WE 2: Consulting
WE 3: Iron & Steel Retail/Trading
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 11:17
Let me try to explain why it shouldn't be A:

"A)Many insect infestations have certain characteristics that cannot be detected by the investigation of a householder."

This statement tells us that there are *certain* characteristics that can't be detected (presumably by the methods outlined in the newsletter). But what about *other* characteristics of the same infestation? It appears that these other characteristics *can* be investigated. In contrast to the slightly-doubtful A, E is more resounding. The whole plan would fall apart since the guys who don't main cleanliness won't read the newsletter (remember the "if true" part of the question).

Hope that helps.

(When I had solved this problem, I had chosen E)

Labor Omnia Vincit (Hard Work Conquers All)
My practice and final scores | My GMAT Club profile
My blog | My Google profile | My LinkedIn profile | Me on Twitter

Last edited by rishabhsingla on 05 Oct 2010, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 50

Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 16:06
themangoman wrote:

may be true but there are also crtain char. they can be detected.
irrelevant
so what?
irrelevant

Narrowed down on choice A and E. Finally chose E.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 20:18
E ofcourse.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 08:04
The goal of the newsletter was to assist householders to detect insect infestation before they become serious.

Many some can't be detect, but not all. The letter can help detect some. Therefore, can't be criticized. A)Many insect infestations have certain characteristics that cannot be detected by the investigation of a householder.

Irrelevant B)Once an insect infestation is known to exist, the steps taken to eliminate such an infestation vary according to the species of insect and the locale of the infestation.

Irrelevant C)The newsletter was sent to all residents of the county, including those who maintain the standards of cleanliness that preclude the possibility of insect infestation.

Irrelevant D)Insect infestation is more common in single-family homes than it is in apartments.

Makes sense. People who do not maintain cleanliness can't be expected to look for signs !E)People who do not maintain minimal standards of cleanliness are unlikely to inspect their homes for the signs of early insect infestation.

All things are possible to those who believe.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 12:43
I'm between C and E.

Can some one please explain why not C.

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 14:47
onedayill wrote:
I'm between C and E.

Can some one please explain why not C.

C is not a wrong statement but does it achieve what question wants ? The question is looking for the choice that criticizes the idea of sending out newsletter. It is looking for something that will weaken the conclusion.

Conclusion was that this idea will work because people will get the newsletter and they will act accordingly.

Assumption was that EVERYONE will read the newsletter and act as per the instruction.

In order to weaken/criticize the newsletter idea, we need to pick something that will attack the assumption. Therefore, something that mentions that people who do not maintain cleanliness will not even act per the instructions of the newsletter, makes more sense. If they are not maintaining cleanliness, they will not look and in that case the who idea of a newsletter is wasted.

All things are possible to those who believe.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 02:46
E for me.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 112

Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 19:46
E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 37

Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 21:18
Assume urself as a critque while answering this question...
A also sounds close, but our answer should have have a point which states that there is no use in sending the newsletter.
When few lazy people don't care of following the newsletter then what is the use in sending those..
So E wins.
Hope it help few...

Thanks,
VP

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 23:54
The answer is E.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 08:20
E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 10:50
Great questions, but it is more like 600s.
A)Many insect infestations have certain characteristics that cannot be detected by the investigation of a householder. << trick, we talk about inf sites, not their characteristics! It means I still can detect a bugs' nest, but I will not know, for example, how old is their nest.

B)Once an insect infestation is known to exist, the steps taken to eliminate such an infestation vary according to the species of insect and the locale of the infestation. << out of scope, we don't care about eliminations

C)The newsletter was sent to all residents of the county, including those who maintain the standards of cleanliness that preclude the possibility of insect infestation. << actually, this strenghten

D)Insect infestation is more common in single-family homes than it is in apartments. << out of scope

E)People who do not maintain minimal standards of cleanliness are unlikely to inspect their homes for the signs of early insect infestation. << bingo! Lazy people won't read mail, so bugs will enjoy nice undisturbed life further
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 14:10
E
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: princeton review prep question [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:18
no doubt for E
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 52

Re: Insect infestation is a danger for households in which [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 04:20
This post received
KUDOS
I initially chose A, because I thought that "householders are able to detect such infestations" is the goal of the Sanitation Department.
But new I see that A states "many" which does not mean "all".
Nevertheless, I do not like E because it talks about preference of the people, not their ability to detect infestations.
Re: Insect infestation is a danger for households in which   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2013, 04:20