Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Insect infestations in certain cotton-growing regions of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Insect infestations in certain cotton-growing regions of the [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 06:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (02:08) correct 46% (01:04) wrong based on 539 sessions
Insect infestations in certain cotton-growing regions of the world have caused dramatic increases in the price of cotton on the world market. By contrast, the price of soybeans has long remained stable. Knowing that cotton plants mature quickly, many soybean growers in Ortovia plan to cease growing soybeans and begin raising cotton instead, thereby taking advantage of the high price of cotton to increase their income significantly, at least over the next several years.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the plan’s chances for success?

(A) The cost of raising soybeans has increased significantly over the past several years and is expected to continue to climb.
(B) Tests of a newly developed, inexpensive pesticide have shown it to be both environmentally safe and effective against the insects that have infested cotton crops.
(C) In the past several years, there has been no sharp increase in the demand for cotton and for goods made out of cotton.
(D) Few consumers would be willing to pay significantly higher prices for cotton goods than they are now paying.
(E) The species of insect that has infested cotton plants has never been known to attack soybean plants.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [6] , given: 0

Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 18:12
This post received
KUDOS
Insect infestations in certain cotton-growing regions of the world have caused dramatic increases in the price of cotton on the world market. By contrast, the price of soybeans has long remained stable. Knowing that cotton plants mature quickly, many soybean growers in Ortovia plan to cease growing soybeans and begin raising cotton instead, thereby taking advantage of the high price of cotton to increase their income significantly, at least over the next several years.

Solution:
p1: Cotton Price Increase ( insect infection)
p2:Soyabean price stable
plan :shift of Soyabean producers --------- cotton producers( increased cotton price , quick maturity )

Cause Effect:
insect infestation ----- Price increase(cotton) ----- shift from ( Soyabean producers to cotton producers )
primary cause ------ Effect 1 ----- Final effect.

inorder to weaken, we have to attack the primary cause.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the plan’s chances for success?

(A) The cost of raising soybeans has increased significantly over the past several years and is expected to continue to climb. ( attack the final effect ) - wrong

(B) Tests of a newly developed, inexpensive pesticide have shown it to be both environmentally safe and effective against the insects that have infested cotton crops. ( attack the root cause ) - Correct

(C) In the past several years, there has been no sharp increase in the demand for cotton and for goods made out of cotton. ( Demand of cotton not given - Assumption attacking the Effect1 ) - Wrong

(D) Few consumers would be willing to pay significantly higher prices for cotton goods than they are now paying.
( increasing in cotton price - attract new people in - support the plan ) - Wrong

(E) The species of insect that has infested cotton plants has never been known to attack soybean plants.
( nothing can be done with it) - wrong

This is how i perceived....
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Texas at Austin, Michigan State
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 37 [5] , given: 4

Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 02:08
This post received
KUDOS
I did a few practice CR today and what I now try to remember is that words in each CR question and answer are used to try to eliminate answer choices or make them the best choice.

In this question the phrase "at least over the next several years" jumped out at me.

The conclusion (by the farmers in Ortovia) is: income from cotton over several years > income from soybeans over several years.

The assumptions I considered are as follows:
*Income is dependent on the selling price of one unit of cotton
**Insects will continue in future years
***There is adequate supply of cotton if there are no insects

The premise: "Insect infestations in certain cotton-growing regions of the world have caused dramatic increases in the price of cotton on the world market"
Depends on assumption *** (adequate world supply). If there was a shortage in world production the infestation would "contribute to rising prices" not "cause" rising prices.

With this in mind we need to weaken the plan by showing some way that income will not be high for the next several years. So we need to find a reason why the farmers should stick with soybeans.

Choice B is the only choice that impacts the income in coming years.

(A) The cost of raising soybeans has increased significantly over the past several years and is expected to continue to climb.
This supports a switch to cotton, rising costs will lead to reduced income from soybeans in the future.
(B) Tests of a newly developed, inexpensive pesticide have shown it to be both environmentally safe and effective against the insects that have infested cotton crops. This would weaken the conclusion, by attacking the assumption that insects will continue to affect cotton.
(C) In the past several years, there has been no sharp increase in the demand for cotton and for goods made out of cotton.
Either outside the scope, and has no impact either way.
This says cotton price is maxed out now, there is not much potential for any additional gains. But it does not weaken the plan. If there are still insect problems, we can make money selling the cotton at current prices.
(E) The species of insect that has infested cotton plants has never been known to attack soybean plants.[/quote]
Does not give a reason why the plan will fail.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 161 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 22:43
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with OA,

Clearly the fight is between B and D

one inportant point against D - it says there'll be few customers willing to pay "significantly" higher prices than today's price. Question stem clearly says that even today's cotton prices are on a higher side. So even if farmers dont get "significant" increase from today's price, they'll still be making profits.... they Key here is "significant".

Last edited by durgesh79 on 18 Jun 2008, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 105

Kudos [?]: 1093 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Insect infestations in certain cotton-growing regions of the [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
jaituteja wrote:
Hi,

COuld you please explain why is A incorrect..??

If the prices of soyabeen were rising in the past and will continue to rise, then we can state that producing soyabeen would be more profitable.

Hi there,

I think that you have misunderstood the argument somehow. Do you mean that THE COST of growing soyabeen is rising? And therefore producing COTTON would be more profitable? (because price of soya is stable and its cost is rising?)

If that's the case, then we would have a reason to think about switching to cotton, what do you think? This for sure does not weaken the argument "switch to cotton will increase the income"; it's more likely to support the conclusion.

Hope this is what you mean

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 754 [1] , given: 800

Re: Insect infestations in certain cotton-growing regions of the [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 03:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
prasannar wrote:

(B) Tests of a newly developed, inexpensive pesticide have shown it to be both environmentally safe and effective against the insects that have infested cotton crops.

[/quote]

jaituteja wrote:
Why is C wrong..???
if there has been no demand in the past, then even after producing the cotton, what is the guarantee that cotton will be sold at high price???

Choice C says, there has been no sharp increase in the demand for cotton. That does not imply that the demand has fallen down. Soybean farmers can still make more money by selling cotton at higher prices to cater current demand.

Choice B directly attacks the conclusion. According to B, newly developed pesticide, which is inexpensive, will soon be used by cotton growers globally, resulting in increased supply of cotton, which will affect the current high prices of cotton

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 754 [1] , given: 800

Re: Insect infestations in certain cotton-growing regions of the [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 06:46
i went for C, thought Im not sure. My reasoning is that since the demand has not increased at all, then all that is going to result is a glut of cotton on the market, which means that supply is very high and the farmers will not necessarily get the revenue they expect.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 06:48
prasannar wrote:

A. The cost of raising soybeans has increased significantly over the past several years and is expected to continue to climb.
strengthens instead of weakens
B. Tests of a newly developed, inexpensive pesticide have shown it to be both environmentally safe and effective against the insects that have infested cotton crops. looks good..but i think this is a trap, remember we have to weaken the conclusion

C. In the past several years, there has been no sharp increase in the demand for cotton and for goods made out of cotton.
demand is steady , but supply is lower so this one is out
D. Few consumers would be willing to pay significantly higher prices for cotton goods than they are now paying.

E. The species of insect that has infested cotton plants has never been known to attack soybean plants. irrelevant

I found it really tough between B and D. B initially looks good, but we are trying to weaken the conclusion that High Price of cotton would mean bonanza for farmers. With D we know that with high price, the demand will go down and therefore this won't be as profitable for the farmers as they think.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 10:07
i feel B is best..

i was also stuck between B and D

if i have to weaken the argument, i somehow have to weaken its assumption..and assumption is that cotton prices have gone up due to shortage of supply and that is due to infestation..

so B directly weakens that..

D while correct..what if cotton has other uses other than consumer market? maybe its used for cotton seed extraction oil that is used as a bio-fuel??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 11:03
I would select C on a d-day but after reading other peoples reasoning I m confused .
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 11:15
The plan is to grow cotton and make money / profit out of it

option D directly attacks the main purpose of making money ......

B only attacks at the supply position of cotton

so to me out of B and D , D is more appropriate

whats the OA
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 12:10
maulikmajithia wrote:
The plan is to grow cotton and make money / profit out of it

option D directly attacks the main purpose of making money ......

B only attacks at the supply position of cotton

so to me out of B and D , D is more appropriate

whats the OA

C says that there is no sharp increase in Demand. So lets say this is true. Two things however effect price. supply and demand. this question is all bout supply and that fact that its low,,ie prices are extremely high. So I ruled this one out since it doesn't weaken at all. If on the other hand C said that there has been a sharp decrease in Demand, i'd go for it.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 21:48
OA is B

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 23:06
Late but I'd say its B. If a pesticide will fix cotton infestation, then the prices will drop over the next few years. Hence the conclusion is weakened.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 11:56
prasannar wrote:

A. The cost of raising soybeans has increased significantly over the past several years and is expected to continue to climb.

B. Tests of a newly developed, inexpensive pesticide have shown it to be both environmentally safe and effective against the insects that have infested cotton crops.

C. In the past several years, there has been no sharp increase in the demand for cotton and for goods made out of cotton.

D. Few consumers would be willing to pay significantly higher prices for cotton goods than they are now paying.

E. The species of insect that has infested cotton plants has never been known to attack soybean plants.

Will gow with B here as the pesticide may eradicate the insects infesting cotton crops soon and the prices will again drop pretty soon and hence the plan might not reap the expected benefits.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 06:33
I went with C :( but, after reading the reasoning , I agree with OA

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 08:36
I'd have to say B. The fact that B can lead to cotton prices dropping might spell disaster for the proposal. As for D, yes, few consumers are willing to pay for higher prices for cotton, but that doesn't mean that pricing would go down. It can remain at the current high level.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 5

Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 19:33
Yes B is convincing.

Altough i'd choosen C initially, but i missed the point that cotton prices are already high.

+1 kudos me if this is of any help...

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: CR: Insect Infestation [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 19:49
I definitely fell for D. I could see why B would work, but it seems to follow a long line of causation in order to really weaken the conclusion...
Re: CR: Insect Infestation   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2010, 19:49