Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 07:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2005, 15:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, investigators should find out why the error was made by analyzing airplane design, airline management, and pilot-training programs. For only then can changes be made to ensure that the same type of error does not recur and cause another accident.
Which of the following is a presupposition of the argument above?
(A) Pilot error is not a contributing factor in most airline accidents.
(B) Airline companies themselves should be the agents who investigate airline accidents.
(C) Stricter government regulation of airline companies will make air travel significantly safer.
(D) Investigators of airline accidents should contribute to the prevention of future accidents.
(E) Most pilots who make errors in flying will repeat their errors unless they are retrained.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - investigators [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2005, 21:18
Between A and E, i am going with E. the origin of the statement is that instead of blaming to the pilot for his/her error is an indication that the investigators should indentify the flaws in such things for which the pilot can be trained.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2005, 08:34
Got to be (A)

(A) Pilot error is not a contributing factor in most airline accidents.
That is why we look into "airplane design, airline management, and pilot-training programs"

(B) Airline companies themselves should be the agents who investigate airline accidents.
Didn't say anything about who should be the agents to investigate

(C) Stricter government regulation of airline companies will make air travel significantly safer.
What government regulation has anything to do with airline accident here?

(D) Investigators of airline accidents should contribute to the prevention of future accidents.
There is no suggestion who or what should contribute to the prevention of future accidents

(E) Most pilots who make errors in flying will repeat their errors unless they are retrained.

This one seems to be right but it is not. This one blames on either pilot-training programs or pilots themselves.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2005, 10:07
OA is "D" ................. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2005, 11:43
I am stuck between D and E.

Both I guess are the presupposition

D focusses on Investigators where as E focusses on Pilots.

I mean both the statements have to be true for the conclusion to be true.

After checking for one more time....

I get that there is a "retrain" in E, which might be wrong.

Wish you all good luck
Bhimsen Joshi

[#permalink] 08 Jan 2005, 11:43