Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2015, 17:04
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2005, 14:00
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:53) correct 56% (01:09) wrong based on 517 sessions
Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, investigators should find out why the error was made by analyzing airplane design, airline management, and pilot-training programs. For only then can changes be made to ensure that the same type of error does not recur and cause another accident.
Which of the following is a presupposition of the argument above?
(A) Pilot error is not a contributing factor in most airline accidents.
(B) Airline companies themselves should be the agents who investigate airline accidents.
(C) Stricter government regulation of airline companies will make air travel significantly safer.
(D) Investigators of airline accidents should contribute to the prevention of future accidents.
(E) Most pilots who make errors in flying will repeat their errors unless they are retrained.

Explain the reasons for your answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2005, 14:47
I think it is A.

As he is assuming that pilot error is not the reason.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 0

Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2005, 15:18
I choose (D).

The auther says the investigaters should do this and that so that no more similar accidents happen again. So he is assuming that the investigater has the responsibility to make sure similar accidents do not happen again.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2005, 00:04
OA is D.
Any reason why E is wrong?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2005, 16:19
The arguement states that pilot error is only one factor in mishaps. In fact there is an implication here that pilot error is used as a scapegoat not to investigate further. Therefore there is no point in retraining pilots if the root cause is something else.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 37

Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 23:05
IMO A shouldn't be the answer as it says most of the accident is not due to driver...In the passage it is clearly mentioned that some accident can be reduced.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 489

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 23:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 74

Premium Member
Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 10:57
oa is E I searched fr similar question
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 1474

Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2014, 06:43
@ dhirajdas53
Where is the "some" mentioned? However, the correct answer is D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2014, 00:37
maggie27 wrote:
@ dhirajdas53
Where is the "some" mentioned? However, the correct answer is D.

D is stated, therefore not an assumption.
For E, your supposing that pilot error needs to be addressed on a high level (regulation of how licence issue rules). What if this error was a one time error, and will not happen again? There is no need for such much investigation on part of the insurance company.

I'm not really happy with the questions, and forcing myself to accept E. This is very similar to a MGMAT questions. Not sure what the source of this question is, though.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2014, 18:12
For only then can changes be made to ensure that the same type of error does not recur and cause another accident.

bold letters indicate that investigations leads to prevention of same type of errors ,,

So " E "must be the assumption as it has "Most pilots who make errors in flying will repeat their errors unless they are retrained"
Intern
Intern

Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2015, 17:13
nocilis wrote:
Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, investigators should find out why the error was made by analyzing airplane design, airline management, and pilot-training programs. For only then can changes be made to ensure that the same type of error does not recur and cause another accident.
(B) Airline companies themselves should be the agents who investigate airline accidents.
(C) Stricter government regulation of airline companies will make air travel significantly safer.
(D) Investigators of airline accidents should contribute to the prevention of future accidents.
(E) Most pilots who make errors in flying will repeat their errors unless they are retrained.

IMO correct OA is A....................presupposition or we can say assumption of the argument that the author used is to insist the investigators consider the fact that airline accident may not only involve error(s) that due to pilot only.In fact it may involve error(s) associated with other parameters like airplane design, airline management, and pilot-training programs.Then only a better change can be made for future accidents preventions.
If the author did not assume that pilot errors (by any way) are not always responsible for airline accident, he/she could not justify his argument to the investigators.
Manager
Manager
MISSION : 800
GPA: 3.8
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 189

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2015, 02:42
Premises:-

Accidents were due to the Pilot by somehow,whether he was not able to analyse or messed up with the controls.

The author says that instead of blaming the pilot, Management or the investigators should analyse errors analyzing airplane design, airline management, and pilot-training programs because he assumes once these problems are eradicated pilots won't make any mistakes or errors while filght. [Root cause eradication]

Thank you

+KUDOS

Follow me on FB & Twitter> dp

Manhattan 1 > 680 :)
Manhattan 2 > 650
Gmat prep 1 > 650
Gmat prep 2 > 720 :) :)

> I CAN, I WILL <

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 152

Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 01 May 2015, 02:57
What's the OA? I see mixed replies here!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 49

Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 01 May 2015, 06:44
nocilis wrote:

good question.initially chosen A but now understood why E is correct.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 14

CAT Tests
Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 21 May 2015, 06:07
Guys OA is D.

Moderators kindly change the highlighted answer.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/airplane-acc ... 37343.html

Consider giving +1 kudos if you like my post

If we both exchange 1 Re then we have 1 Re each.
But if we both exchange 1 good thought then we have 2 good thoughts each
:-D

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '17, Sloan '17

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 185

Premium Member
Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 21 May 2015, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
nocilis wrote:

I marked "D" but IMO answer choice E is a correct assumption. Premise "Instead of blaming the pilot, investigators should analyse design, airline management and training programs". Option D is stated in the argument so it cant be the assumption..In choice E it states " if we only blame the pilots for the accidents always, then the real cause of the accidents we will never know..AND as the reason is unknown, there is always a possibility that the same error will occur again..We cant trained the pilots for the unknown errors...we must know the right reason only then it can be rectified. Only blaming the pilot will not solve the issue as they are always prone to make the same error.

The Secret : Keep Going

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.7
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 138

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 23 May 2015, 21:14
The conclusion says " Until we don't focus on the three things and don't stop blaming the pilot error" we would not be able to ensure that same type of errors do not happen.

Point to be noted: that same type of errors do not happen. It means the argument assumes that accidents are happening due to same types of errors being committed again and again and If we want to prevent this, then the three mentioned points shall be investigated rather than pointing out that its a pilot error.

Assumption: The argument assumes that by incorporating these three points the repetitive errors/causes of accidents will not be there. And that repetitive cause is pilot error. So it assumes that if the pilot is retrained ( as pilot training program is one of the three points the argument wants the investigators to focus on), he/she will not commit mistakes.

Only E matches this criteria, hence the answer.

P.S: It took me more than 2 minutes to answer this, as I misunderstood the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 4
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2015, 13:04
E is a strong defensive assumption in this case. The main point of the argument is that pilots should not bare the blame. Therefore, the assumption needs to protect this claim in some form.

E and A are similar, but the former is the stronger of the two.

Let's negate choice E: Suppose that pilots will not necessarily make repeat errors. In this case, why would the argument protect the pilots and not incriminate them? It does not make any sense.

GMATPrep 1: 410 Q26 V20 (20 and 19 incorrect)
GMATPrep 2: 620 Q44 V32 (12 and 14 incorrect)
GMATPrep 3: 690 Q48 V37 (12 and 12 incorrect)

Most important lessons learned so far:
1) Your first prep is NOT indicative of your true level.
2) First 10 questions ARE important (notice that between preps 2 and 3 I had only 2 less incorrect questions on Quant, but a 70 point total score difference)

Intern
Intern

Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error, [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2015, 02:15
nocilis wrote:
OA is D.
Any reason why E is wrong?

Hi

(E) States that - " Most pilots who make errors in flying will repeat their errors unless they are retrained"

CASE I : Suppose 100 new pilots make a the same mistake once each
CASE II : Suppose 1 new pilots make the same mistake 100 times.

For both the cases, Training for the Pilots is essential. So that is why E does not make sense and can be eliminated also by the Negation Technique .

Please correct me if am wrong.
Re: Instead of blaming an airline accident on pilot error,   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2015, 02:15