Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 22:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 26

Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 00:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

16% (02:25) correct 84% (01:28) wrong based on 1159 sessions
Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, insurance companies should first try to figure out why the error was made by analyzing flaws in road design, automobile designs and in criteria to determine eligibility for a driver's license. Only then will the insurance companies be able to effectively issue guidelines to prevent future accidents, instead of merely punishing the incidental driver.

Which of the following is a presupposition of the argument above?

A) Driver error is not a significant factor in most automobile accidents.
B) Automobile manufacturers should be the agents who investigate automobile accidents and not insurance companies.
C) Stricter government regulation of the automobile and highway construction industries would make automobile travel safer.
D) Investigation of automobile accidents should contribute to the prevention of future accidents.
E) Most drivers who make errors in driving repeat those errors unless they are retrained.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 135 [2] , given: 75

Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 04:20
This post received
KUDOS
this might be helpful
instead-of-blaming-an-airline-accident-on-pilot-error-13653.html?fl=similar

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [2] , given: 29

Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 13:42
This post received
KUDOS
D

The argument states that insurance companies should analyze ways to prevent accidents as opposed to blaming driver error. The question asks for an assumption that this argument is based on. The argument is based on the assumption that investigating automobile accidents will lead to fewer future accidents.

I hope that helps :)

EDIT: I noticed you have E as the OA, which is incorrect. E is incorrect because the text never mentions anything about repeated accidents. Also, if drivers repeat the mistakes they make, analyzing road conditions would make no difference, as driver error would be 100% to blame for the accidents.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [2] , given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 06:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I believe D is explicitly stated in the argument itself and therefore is not valid. Plus we are not evaluating the argument here, but only need to mention the assumption.

Now the argument's conclusion says that only if investigation is done into automobile design, road design and in criteria to determine the eligibility (whether the driver has requisite skills or not), only then can the problem be prevented.

Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, insurance companies should first try to figure out why the error was made by analyzing flaws in road design, automobile designs and in criteria to determine eligibility for a driver's license. Only then will the insurance companies be able to effectively issue guidelines to prevent future accidents, instead of merely punishing the incidental driver.

A) Driver error is not a significant factor in most automobile accidents. Well even if it is, this is not required for the conclusion, as it offers no support as to why investigations are required to prevent accidents.
B) Automobile manufacturers should be the agents who investigate automobile accidents and not insurance companies. Out of scope
C) Stricter government regulation of the automobile and highway construction industries would make automobile travel safer. Out of scope. Roads need to be better but for this to happen it is not mentioned that governmental regulations are required.
D) Investigation of automobile accidents should contribute to the prevention of future accidents. Valid apriori
E) Most drivers who make errors in driving repeat those errors unless they are retrained. True, because it is indirectly assumed with this statement "and in criteria to determine eligibility for a driver's license" which implies that unless the requisite criteria is met (the driver is not well trained), the accident is bound to happen again, therefore accidents would not be prevented.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 282

Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 01:06
This post received
KUDOS
I believe D is the answer here. It states investigation should prevent future accidents. That should be the assumption, else the argument fails.

E is out of scope for me.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 74

Premium Member
Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
Question is to judge an assumption which means to identify the hidden thinking of the author .. Option D is already mentioned in the passage so it can't be the OA .

Just checked the answer with the expert its E
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '17, Ross '16
GMAT Date: 09-02-2014

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
I may be wrong but this is my understanding.

The question asked - which of the following is the presupposition in the argument above?
Now, very clearly, the argument is - "Do not merely punish the driver, there could be other reasons for these accidents to occur which the author is recommending the insurance companies to look at and clearly suggests them that there is no point in punishing the driver times and again, until we do not check those hidden causes of the road accidents".

The presupposition that the author has made here is the fact that it has been considered that punishing the driver will help check the situation - these punishments logically are fines, license cancellations could be anything but pertaining to the driver and hence an indicative of retraining the driver doubting his abilities. Hence to me 'E' makes sense.

===
+1 Kudos for the help, is the best way to thank and contribute... :)
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 12:47
This needs a discussion folks,

plz pour on !!!

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 57

Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 12:16
D seems more appropriate. Please post OA explanation.
Expert Post
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 17:25
Expert's post
Hi, so is the OE actually D? Can anyone confirm this for certain? Thanks!

MY GMAT BLOG - ADVICE - OPINIONS - ANALYSIS

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 28

Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 02:47
m3equals333 wrote:
Hi, so is the OE actually D? Can anyone confirm this for certain? Thanks!

I also chose D. We need an expert here to confirm the OE is E. Thank you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 08:50
ananthpatri wrote:

B) Automobile manufacturers should be the agents who investigate automobile accidents and not insurance companies.
C) Stricter government regulation of the automobile and highway construction industries would make automobile travel safer.
D) Investigation of automobile accidents should contribute to the prevention of future accidents.
E) Most drivers who make errors in driving repeat those errors unless they are retrained.

It seems D is the correct answer here. The similar question is there in the 1000 CR doc. (Test II, Question 16). @Bunuel can you please confirm.

Thanks

Last edited by chanakya84 on 21 Apr 2014, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 05-14-2014

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 13:28
I also chose D. E is out of scope - retraining drivers is never mentioned and insurance companies setting new guidelines does not equate to retraining drivers.

Can anyone prove that E is actually correct?

GMATPrep1 620 Q44 V32
MGMAT 2A 630 Q40 V36
GMATPrep2 650 Q44 V35
MGMAT 3A 690 Q45 V38
GMATPrep1 710 Q47 V40 (retake)
MGMAT 4A 650 Q40 V39
GMATPrep EP1 670 Q44 V38
ACTUAL GMAT 600 Q35 V37
GMATPrep EP2 700 Q44 V41
GMATPrep2 700 Q42 V44 (retake)
ACTUAL GMAT 660 Q42 V39
MGMAT 650 Q39 V39
MGMAT 630 Q39 V37
GMAT PrepEP2 690 Q46 V39
ACTUAL GMAT 710 Q44 V44

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 23:55
I chose D too. Experts advice, if any?
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-16-2014
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 73

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 16:23
Okay lets say you investigate and do not write guidelines. Does that contribute in preventing accidents? 'Only then will the insurance companies be able to effectively issue guidelines to prevent future accidents'. So both Investigation AND Issuing guidelines can contribute, but neither of them alone can.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 17:06
E seems right to me.

argument is trying to convince that the insurance companies should investigate road designs and other factors, that means if these conditions are responsible for the accidents, drivers are more likely to be in accident again unless they are (re)trained to handle these conditions better next time.

where as D is not assumption, its stated in argument itself, additionally the word "should" reduces its chances of being right.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2014, 20:51
ananthpatri wrote:

"Only then" in last sentence says that it is causal conclusion. So any assumption that eliminates alternative cause, reverse causation or data errors is true

A. It is main point but not an assumption
B. Out of scope at all
C. Introduces alternative cause but not eliminate it, so weakens conclusion
D. Answer that I selected but "analyzing flaws" is the same as investigation so it repeats the premise but we know that assumption is unstated premise
[highlight]E. Eliminate the drivers error as alternative factor to be considered [/highlight

E is too much masked
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 15:33
E is correct …. My analysis as follow :

The conclusion : the insurance companies SHOULD investigate road design, automobile designs and driver's license.
why would the issuance companies investigate all that ??
because :
Premise 1: they want to issue guidelines to prevent future accidents. …… AND
premise 2: they don't want to blame the driver on the accident.

so, answer E will be the Hidden premise or the assumption as follow :

issuance companies wants to prevent future accidents. if the drivers who make accidents retrained, then they can prevent accidents.

:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 10:17
Some help here?

Since when "punish" = "retrain" ?

Very weird for me.... anyone?
Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 18

Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error, [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 13:00
I still feel choice D could be right but unable to judge on choice E. I wonder as to where exactly is choice E trying to fill the gap in the argument.

Experts can better help us with this.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Re: Instead of blaming an automobile accident on driver error,   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2014, 13:00