Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1268 [69]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [15]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: SCM, Strategy, General Management
Schools:Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
 Q48  V26
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Schools: Babson '20
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Intar, the oldest Hispanic theater company in New York, has moved away [#permalink]
Doubt regarding D.

both x and y

x= of contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad - Authors living abroad
and
y = who are living - refers to the authors that are living

Why aren't X and Y parallel ??

hacker wrote:
Intar, the oldest Hispanic theater company in New York, has moved away from the Spanish classics and now it draws on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors who live abroad and of those in the
United States.

(A) now it draws on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors(X) who live abroad and of those (Y) -
(B) now draws on the works of contemporary Hispanic authors, both those who live abroad(X) and those who live(Y) - this
(C) it draws on the works of contemporary Hispanic authors now, both those living abroad and who live
(D) draws now on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad and who are
(E) draws on the works now of both contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad and those

Concept tested:
1. usage of Both X & Y - X & Y grammatically ad logically parallel - - Only A and B have correct . c,d , e eliminated
2. usage of IT - It can refer to Intar or new york or company - A and C eliminated
3. Ellipsis - of contemporary Hispanic authors(X) who live abroad and of those [who live] - those should be followed by who live - A, D, E eliminated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Schools: Babson '20
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Intar, the oldest Hispanic theater company in New York, has moved away [#permalink]
Many many thanks for your explanation! Just a small clarification

So when we write the sentence as: those who are --- what is the antecedent that who refers to? Is it referring to authors by virtue of 'those' ?
I just assumed that who refers to authors even without 'those' in the sentence

sayantanc2k wrote:
cuhmoon wrote:
Doubt regarding D.

both x and y

and

X starts with "of", Y does not start with "of" - moreover, the relative pronoun "who" should have an antecedent. The correct parallel structure would be:

...both (of contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad) and (of those who are..) correct.

Alternatively the preposition "of" can be placed outside the parallel structure:
of both (contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad) and (those who are....) correct.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
cuhmoon wrote:
Many many thanks for your explanation! Just a small clarification

So when we write the sentence as: those who are --- what is the antecedent that who refers to? Is it referring to authors by virtue of 'those' ?
I just assumed that who refers to authors even without 'those' in the sentence

sayantanc2k wrote:
cuhmoon wrote:
Doubt regarding D.

both x and y

and

X starts with "of", Y does not start with "of" - moreover, the relative pronoun "who" should have an antecedent. The correct parallel structure would be:

...both (of contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad) and (of those who are..) correct.

Alternatively the preposition "of" can be placed outside the parallel structure:
of both (contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad) and (those who are....) correct.

The pronoun "who" does not refer to the same "authors" (contemporary historic authors) stated earlier in the sentence - it refers to some other "authors" (who live in US). Demontrartive adjectives "that" and "those" can create such a copy of a noun previously used in a sentence.

The car you have is costlier than that I have.
Here "that" creates a new copy of "car"; it does not refer to the same "car" mentioned before. Similarly "those" does not refer to the same "authors", but it creates a new copy of "authors", and "who" refers to this new copy. Without "those", "who" would erroneously refer to the previous "authors".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Kudos
In choices A and C, it intrudes between the halves of the compound verb has moved... and [now] draws to introduce a new grammatical subject, thereby creating a run-on sentence: the inclusion of it requires a comma after classics to set off the new independent clause. The placement of now is awkward in C, and the construction living abroad... and who is not parallel in C and D. Misplacement of words creates ambiguity in E: for example, the positioning of both immediately before the phrase describing the authors suggests that there are only two contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad. The logical word placement and parallel phrasing of B, the best choice, resolve such confusions. Hence, B is the answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [1]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Intar, the oldest Hispanic theater company in New York, has moved away from the Spanish classics and now it draws on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors who live abroad and of those in the United States.

Meaning Analysis: - Intar (a theater company) has moved away from Spanish classics. This company is now focusing onb Contemporary authors who liv abroad and in the United States

Error Analysis: -
(1) Run on sentence - The underlined portion begins with a clause (It – subject; Draws – Verb) Thus we need a COMMA before and
In other words IC, FANBOYS IC is the rule that is being violated out here

POE

(B) now draws on the works of contemporary Hispanic authors, both those who live abroad and those who live
The error in (A) has been rectified. The sentence structure has been changed a bit, but the meaning is conveyed clearly and the sentence is grammatically correct.

(C) it draws on the works of contemporary Hispanic authors now, both those living abroad and who live
(1) Same as option (A) – with the placement of it, we now have an IC in which (it – subject; draws – verb)
(2) The placement of now – The placement of “now” after authors isn’t correct. The fact that the company draws on works of authors is taking place “NOW” as in “now onward” It makes sense to place “Now” before “Draws”
(3) Parallelism error – Both X and Y, in such a construction X and Y need to be parallel. Here X = “Those living abroad (relative noun phrase) and Y = who live in the United Sates (Clause; who – subject and live – verb) Clearly X and Y are not parallel

(D) draws now on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad and who are
(1) Parallelism error - same as option C.
(2) Usage of "Both of" – It is either “of Both X and Y” OR “Both of X and of Y” But it CANNOT be “both of X and Y”
Note – I would prefer “who live in the U.S” compared to “who are in the U.S” But I believe this is a preference and not a deterministic error

(E) draws on the works now of both contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad and those
(1) Placement of now – I don’t see the need to place “now” far away from “draws”
(2) Placement of "both" – The way both is placed after authors seems as if there are only two authors that Intar is interested in. Compared to this option we have a much clear and neat option (B)

Correct.B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
(B) now draws on the works of

.... I am not sure that is now <in (B)> "parallel" ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
I think there is two parallel. The first is "and". The other is both... and...

I know that Both... and... in choice B is correct. I'm not sure which word that is "now" in choice B parallel with?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
I think there is two parallel. The first is "and". The other is both... and...

I know that Both... and... in choice B is correct. I'm not sure which word that is "now" in choice B parallel with?

"Now" is just a modifier. It doesn't have to be parallel with anything.

What has to be parallel is the verbs: "has moved ... and ... draws." Perfect.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hi experts,

Why is the parallelism wrong with E, according to OA explanation?
"...both contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad and those in the United States." both [noun] and [pronoun].
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
samgyupsal

I can see why E might feel okay, since the relative pronoun "those" (like the singular "that") has some flexibility. We often use "those" to refer back to a base noun while changing its modifiers. For instance, in the sentence, "Rich people sometimes pay less income tax than those with lower incomes," "those" refers to "people" and not "rich people."

However, the flexibility of "those" can create problems when it's not clear which modifiers are meant to be left behind. If I say "both contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad and those in the United States," what does "those" refer to? Contemporary Hispanic authors? Hispanic authors? Contemporary authors? Also, the fact that we have two different forms of modifier ("living abroad" and "in the United States") makes things worse. B fixes the problem by using "those" to refer to the entire noun phrase: "contemporary Hispanic authors" and then applying similar modifiers to each to make the contrast clear.

A simpler way to think about this whole issue might be to consider that when we use the "both . . . and" construction to refer to two different cases, we want to describe the difference as clearly and directly as possible. For that reason, when I see "both contemporary Hispanic authors and," I expect it to be followed by something like "18th century Greek authors." In other words, if we aren't planning to contrast the "contemporary Hispanic" part, why are we putting it into the "both . . . and" construction? It's much easier to say "contemporary Hispanic authors both abroad and in the US," since the "contemporary Hispanic author" part is common to both groups.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts