Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Intelligence as a predictor of a GMAT score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intelligence as a predictor of a GMAT score [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 15:55
Obviously the GMAT is a good predictor of academic success, but is it a good predictor of intelligence, and vice versa?

I ask because I went through a couple of sample GMAT problems, and while I was able to answer most of them correctly, I did not find them as easy as I thought they would were going to be. I had to think hard, and I know I did not answer them as fast as I should have; I spent more than 3 minutes per problem. In other words, I am not as intelligent as I thought I was, which is fine.

So instead of wasting my time preparing for the GMAT, and going through all the anxiety, should I just ask a psychologist for an IQ test, and then look at an IQ/GMAT chart to have an idea of what my GMAT score would be?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2005, 03:31
GMAT is not a test of intelligence, but a test of perseverance and endurance. If it did, I would probably have an IQ of a piece of wood.

Take a PowerPrep test (downloadable @ mba.com) and see where you stand. Find out your weak areas and work on them.

There are alot of sticky posts in this forum regarding people's struggles and triumph with the test. Learn from them and prepare for battle.

Remember, if there is a will, there is a way!

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2005, 03:40
The GMAT is not so much a test of intelligence as it is a test of basic academic skills that can be ameliorated over time. Some bright people have surprisingly low scores because they have not used these basic skills in years. Accordingly, it is best to view the GMAT as a test of the current state of one's ability rather than a description of the long run upper bound of one's ability.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2005, 19:12
really... ok
  [#permalink] 23 Dec 2005, 19:12