Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 13:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1351
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 05:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged during the next three months.

(A) have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged
(B) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remain unchanged
(C) steadily declined during the first six months of this year but remain virtually unchanged
(D) declined steadily during the first six months of this but have remained virtually unchanging’
(E) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanged
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 904
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 05:51
OK... we do not need have declined

So A is out.....

D is out because ends in unchanging

C is out because of remain

I choose E....
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1133
Location: India
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 05:56
AgreE.
' declined...........virtually unchanged'
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 06:29
Between 'B' & 'E' ..

Would go for 'B'.

'have' in 'E' (I believe) violates parallelism.. Also believe 'virtually remain unchanged' better than 'remain virtually unchanged'.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 801
Location: BULGARIA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 07:11
Can someone explain clearly why is A wrong?
Thanks
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 May 2005
Posts: 141
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 07:12
Nope i'll go for E ... there is no case of parallelism here because we are talking about different time periods ...E for me ... please ..what's the OA?

_________________

--I never think of future, it comes soon enough!!

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1351
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 07:34
BG wrote:
Can someone explain clearly why is A wrong?
Thanks


yes, any one care to explain why B is better over E or vice versa? in E why "have"?

Professor wrote:
Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged during the next three months.

(B) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remain unchanged
(E) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanged
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2005
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 07:45
In my view, E is correct.

For the past 3 months, interest rates have been unchanged. This indicates that the process continues to the present. So indicate with present perfect.

B is wrong since "remain unchanged" indicates that interest rates will remain unchanged forever. Future perfect???

_________________

-Britto

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 09:45
I think problem in A is in the second part of the sentence "but virtually remained unchanged".

It should be "but remained virtually unchanged"

So ^E^
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 482
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 10:50
Professor wrote:
BG wrote:
Can someone explain clearly why is A wrong?
Thanks


yes, any one care to explain why B is better over E or vice versa? in E why "have"?



Interest rates on mortgages declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanged during the next three months

Read the sentence carefully... the bold part states "during the next three months" ..... it means the process is still going on thats why we need "but have remained".....

HTH...

Thats why E.

If still its not clear, then I'll try to explain more clearly
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 634
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Interest Rates [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 12:21
Professor wrote:
Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged during the next three months.

(A) have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged
(B) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remain unchanged
(C) steadily declined during the first six months of this year but remain virtually unchanged
(D) declined steadily during the first six months of this but have remained virtually unchanging’
(E) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanged



^ E ^


>> A is out because "have declined" cannot be used with "during the first six months of this year" , it is past.

>> B is out because of "remain" . The tense here should be present perfect not present simple.

>> C is out. Same as B.

>> D is out for "changing". It is not a proper way to tell this. "unchanged" is correct

Here "present perfect" is used because "during the next three months" is either still going on or it has just finished.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 16:53
This is an honest here..

Can anyone confirm and clarify the following for me ?

Usage of 'virtually' - here in this context virtually means "almost or near to practical". Therefore 'remain almost unchanged' sounds weired to me. almost (virtually) remained unchanged would have been far better.

Argument on missing perfect tense - I feel it is not a must here. The sentence describes events that had taken across different time periods.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 20:26
Will go with E.
A is out as have is used. Whereas the event is in past.
The second statement continues till the present time hence what do we call that “present perfectâ€
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1351
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Interest Rates [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 20:36
selene wrote:
Professor wrote:
Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged during the next three months.

(A) have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged
(B) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remain unchanged
(C) steadily declined during the first six months of this year but remain virtually unchanged
(D) declined steadily during the first six months of this but have remained virtually unchanging’
(E) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanged


^ E ^
>> A is out because "have declined" cannot be used with "during the first six months of this year" , it is past.
>> B is out because of "remain" . The tense here should be present perfect not present simple.
>> C is out. Same as B.
>> D is out for "changing". It is not a proper way to tell this. "unchanged" is correct
Here "present perfect" is used because "during the next three months" is either still going on or it has just finished.


i have solved this question earlier but now i am facing difficulty in taking E as OA. B is also incorrect as the use of "virtually" is misplaced.

i am not able to take "have remained virtually unchanged" with "during the next three months".
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1351
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 20:44
gmat_crack wrote:
Interest rates on mortgages declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanged during the next three months

Read the sentence carefully... the bold part states "during the next three months" ..... it means the process is still going on thats why we need "but have remained".....

HTH...Thats why E.
If still its not clear, then I'll try to explain more clearly


you mean: six months (123456) ... next three months(789) ..........we are at the begaining of 10th month (10)?

now makes sense.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 634
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Interest Rates [#permalink] New post 26 May 2006, 01:12
Professor wrote:
selene wrote:
Professor wrote:
Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged during the next three months.

(A) have declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remained unchanged
(B) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but virtually remain unchanged
(C) steadily declined during the first six months of this year but remain virtually unchanged
(D) declined steadily during the first six months of this but have remained virtually unchanging’
(E) declined steadily during the first six months of this year but have remained virtually unchanged


^ E ^
>> A is out because "have declined" cannot be used with "during the first six months of this year" , it is past.
>> B is out because of "remain" . The tense here should be present perfect not present simple.
>> C is out. Same as B.
>> D is out for "changing". It is not a proper way to tell this. "unchanged" is correct
Here "present perfect" is used because "during the next three months" is either still going on or it has just finished.


i have solved this question earlier but now i am facing difficulty in taking E as OA. B is also incorrect as the use of "virtually" is misplaced.

i am not able to take "have remained virtually unchanged" with "during the next three months".



selene wrote:


Here "present perfect" is used because "during the next three months" is either still going on or it has just finished.


I mean, the first 6 months finished. Jan., Feb., March, Apr., May, June. (this is "during first six months")

Then, it says during "next three months": July, Aug.,Sept.

Why we need present perfect is that we are not totally informed about the time. We don't know if we are in Sept. or Nov. or in any other month. The period of "during the next three months" may have just finished or we maybe in Sept. This means that we still have the effects of this period.
Re: SC: Interest Rates   [#permalink] 26 May 2006, 01:12
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during nightwing79 3 20 May 2009, 16:56
Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during Value 8 20 Jun 2008, 04:59
Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during pawan82 10 13 Nov 2006, 01:56
1 Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during shahnandan 17 13 Feb 2006, 21:00
Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during banerjeea_98 21 26 Apr 2005, 11:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Interest rates on mortgages have declined steadily during

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.