Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Paul!

You are correct, my career goals are in finance - IM to be exact. Do you really think I stand a chance at schools like Cornell or Darden, considering my weak gpa from a small state school?

When I discuss my verbal score in the optional essay, what should I mention? Obviously I should point out my verbal score in the previous GMAT, but what other evidence should I use to illustrate that the V34 is not indicative of my true abilities? I'm just struggling to see what I would say to them, other than a few sentences that mention the irregularity in the score.

Finally, I failed to mention in my previous post that my fiance will be moving with me when I go to business school. Therefore, I am trying to focus on schools located in mid to large metro areas so she can continue working in her career field. I would love to go to school at Cornell, but it doesn't seem like Ithaca has much to offer her in terms of employment.

I am thinking about applying to Yale and UNC, in addition to the previous schools I mentioned (Vandy, GTown, WUSTL, IU-Kelley). Yale seems like a bit of a longshot, but they state that they will evaluate candidates based on their highest individual Q and V scores, which is certainly in my favor. Am I aiming too high with Yale and/or UNC?

eazyb81,

Cornell, Darden, Yale, and UNC won't reject you for your GPA alone, especially if you had mitigating circumstances for it. Your GMAT answers to some degree the doubts that your GPA raises. These 4 schools may be semi-long shots for you, but I wouldn't be surprised if 1 or 2 came through for you.

The other evidence regarding your verbal abilities you could mention would be good grades in language-heavy courses and some discussion of the amount of writing required in your job, etc. If these aren't relevant to you, then obviously don't use them. You can also have your recommenders give special emphasis to your verbal skills.

Good luck,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
pbodine wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

You are correct, my career goals are in finance - IM to be exact. Do you really think I stand a chance at schools like Cornell or Darden, considering my weak gpa from a small state school?

When I discuss my verbal score in the optional essay, what should I mention? Obviously I should point out my verbal score in the previous GMAT, but what other evidence should I use to illustrate that the V34 is not indicative of my true abilities? I'm just struggling to see what I would say to them, other than a few sentences that mention the irregularity in the score.

Finally, I failed to mention in my previous post that my fiance will be moving with me when I go to business school. Therefore, I am trying to focus on schools located in mid to large metro areas so she can continue working in her career field. I would love to go to school at Cornell, but it doesn't seem like Ithaca has much to offer her in terms of employment.

I am thinking about applying to Yale and UNC, in addition to the previous schools I mentioned (Vandy, GTown, WUSTL, IU-Kelley). Yale seems like a bit of a longshot, but they state that they will evaluate candidates based on their highest individual Q and V scores, which is certainly in my favor. Am I aiming too high with Yale and/or UNC?

eazyb81,

Cornell, Darden, Yale, and UNC won't reject you for your GPA alone, especially if you had mitigating circumstances for it. Your GMAT answers to some degree the doubts that your GPA raises. These 4 schools may be semi-long shots for you, but I wouldn't be surprised if 1 or 2 came through for you.

The other evidence regarding your verbal abilities you could mention would be good grades in language-heavy courses and some discussion of the amount of writing required in your job, etc. If these aren't relevant to you, then obviously don't use them. You can also have your recommenders give special emphasis to your verbal skills.

Good luck,

Thanks for your help Paul, I really appreciate it.

Your book should be delivered tomorrow, I can't wait to put the finishing touches on my essays. :-D
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
pbodine wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

eazyb81,

Good luck,

Thanks for your help Paul, I really appreciate it.

Your book should be delivered tomorrow, I can't wait to put the finishing touches on my essays. :-D

You're welcome. I hope it helps you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quick question Paul:

When discussing my verbal score in the optional essay, would it be too much of a stretch to mention my ACT verbal score of 32 from a few years ago (approx. 7-8)? I will certainly mention grades in English/comp. type courses, but I remembered I scored very well in the verbal portion of the ACT as a H.S. senior, and I thought it might help my cause. On the flipside, it could look like i'm trying too hard since it was so long ago.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
Quick question Paul:

When discussing my verbal score in the optional essay, would it be too much of a stretch to mention my ACT verbal score of 32 from a few years ago (approx. 7-8)? I will certainly mention grades in English/comp. type courses, but I remembered I scored very well in the verbal portion of the ACT as a H.S. senior, and I thought it might help my cause. On the flipside, it could look like i'm trying too hard since it was so long ago.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to mention the ACT score in a sentence that referred to several other such minor indications of verbal ability. I'm not sure it's significant enough to focus a whole sentence on though. :-)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Eazyb -

If you're really into Cornell and want to talk to me about it, let me know. I was a trailing Cornell spouse, and have had a wonderful experience working in I-town. If you told me a bit about your fiance's career, etc, I might be able to help out.

Ithaca has a reputation for being small, isolated, and having a poor job market. I definitely would not say that these are all true. Lemme know if you wanna chat.

And in fact, I think I will start a "trailing spouses" thread. My partner is about to try out this role himself, wherever I end up next.

Good luck!
amy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
Eazyb -

If you're really into Cornell and want to talk to me about it, let me know. I was a trailing Cornell spouse, and have had a wonderful experience working in I-town. If you told me a bit about your fiance's career, etc, I might be able to help out.

Ithaca has a reputation for being small, isolated, and having a poor job market. I definitely would not say that these are all true. Lemme know if you wanna chat.

And in fact, I think I will start a "trailing spouses" thread. My partner is about to try out this role himself, wherever I end up next.

Good luck!
amy

Thanks Amy....I made a post in your thread.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]