Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Interesting - Law School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 12:49
I think it is not fair to compare LSAT w/ GMAT.
Apple to orange comparison.

Of course GMAT will be much easier for foreigners such as myself. Half of the score comes from QUANT section whereas LSAT does not test any quant skills.

I think it really depends on individuals.

If you ask this question to English major (someone other than Pelihu because he is not qualified for he got into MIT... which means that he has plenty of quant skills), they will say that LSAT is more approachable than the GMAT. If you ask this question to engineering/Finance background, the answer will be GMAT.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 17:23
GMATT73 wrote:
Imagine if Pelihu or Rustmonster went for a joint MD/MBA? With a JD already under their belts, they'd be vying for the "King of the Universe" spot.

If I told my wife I was thinking of getting an MD after business school, I'd probably be a bachelor again real soon. :D My (now) former law partner was a neurosurgeon before going to law school, so he obviously has an MD and a JD. He's just two years away from the Trifecta!

More on point, he says law school was much harder than med school. To him, med school was just power memorization, whereas law school was more intellectually challenging. Ive got friends who describe law school as "intellectual boot camp" - there's truth there. He also commented on the MCAT v. the LSAT, arguing the LSAT was intellectually more challenging but the MCAT was harder to prepare for because it tests acquired knowledge. In that vein it shares something in common with the bar exam and medical boards. That is, of course, just one opinion.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 20:43
pelihu wrote:
<SNIP>
Think of it this way, if the GMAT were as important as the LSAT or MCAT, you'd need to score 740+ to be competitive at top 15 schools. Of course, that's not the case; it's nice to score 740+, but 700 should definitely make you competitive at almost any school for that aspect at least. The rest of your application matters more. The lower percentile requirement means that competition is less intense overall - there's not doubt that many people capable of higher score focus on other things once they reach ~700. There are fewer people, when compared to the LSAT and MCAT, that work to squeeze every last point out of the GMAT.

I have no quarrel with your analysis. I think though that in factoring the importance (not difficulty) of the LSAT to admissions one has to consider the difference in applicant populations. A much higher percentage of GMAT takers are likely have significant work experience. So "the rest of your application matters more" is likely to be true not only due the relative difficulty of the exam but also because the applicant pool is likely to have significant (and relevant) experience. I suspect also that the academic environment is different. Something debated here (and elsewhere) is the relative merit of classwork vis-s-vis networking events etc. Is there a parallel topic in law school?
  [#permalink] 19 Jun 2007, 20:43