Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Interesting WSJ article about PE and b-school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Interesting WSJ article about PE and b-school [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 06:34
I only get the paper wsj, but here are some interesting tidbits.

PRIVATE EQUITY IN A CLASS OF ITS OWN

"Amid the recent flurry of deals to take public companies private, MBA programs are offering more intensive PE course and strengthening their ocnnections with buyout firms to help students land jobs. At the same time, schools are trying to lure junior employees of buyout shops to their MBA programs…"

At HBS, 11% secured PE positions, up from 7% a year before. Avg salary $125k, avg bonus, $77k.

"To get that edge with recruiters, schools are trying to attract more students from buyout shops. Of Harvard's 900 incoming students, 100 have worked in PE."

Tcuk, Chicago, Wharton, and Columbia are mentioned.

"PE firms are doing very well and offering obscene compensation and big promotions to keep people from leaving."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 07:41
Not suprising that they are offering more courses in it...since everyone who would have wanted to be in IB 10 years ago now sees that way more money is to be made in PE so thats what they all dream of doing. I mean look around on different boards and all you hear from kids that are in IB or thinking of IB is that their long term is to work at a PE/VC or Hedge fund.

I would view that people going into PE right out of college are the cream of the crop at top undergrads or are very well connected which is probably part of the reason there are so many going to Harvard. One would think that with all the private equity, hedge fund, and venture capital kids applying to top schools it is going to make it that much harder for the average IB to get in.

There was an article I read yesterday about how much fortune 500 CEOs make...and you read about these people making more than 50 million a year and now there is starting to be some backlash about how dare they get paid so well. Until you realize that someone who directs a PE or HF can be making a billion a year.
  [#permalink] 12 Jun 2007, 07:41