Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Nov 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

International applicant - please evaluate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

International applicant - please evaluate [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 22:49
Hi, planning to take GMAT in few weeks time, target business school: Booth/ Kellog/ Standford for fall 2010 and Columbia for Jan 2011. Looking for some advice for 3rd round. Thank you.

Basis info:
Female/ Asian/ 28

Acadamic info:
Graduate from top tier university in Australia
Professional status - CPA Australia
GPA: 3
GMAT: 700 (target)

Working info:
Work experience (around 5 yrs)
Taxation/ Accounting - Australia
Business consulting - China & HK
Good exposure to business in various sectors (SMEs to MNCs)

Advantage:
Well presented/ language capability/ experiences
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: International applicant - please evaluate [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 23:50
darlynn,

Your Australian background and gender will help you and a 700 GMAT is roughly competitive, but you are aiming high and the third round is not an optimal one -- most of the spots are already taken. You didn't mention leadership at our outside of work which will absolutely critical for admission to these top schools, so I would say they may well be longshots for you. Stanford is the least likely so I might discourage from applying there. Booth and Kellogg would be the most doable.

Hope this helps,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: International applicant - please evaluate [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 20:24
Thank you Paul for the advice. Just curious why round 3 will be less optimal option. I emailed Booth admission regarding international applicants for round 3, and they replied that they will consider as normal applicant, the only concern they have is the visa application timeline.

Furthermore, I am also considering the January 2011 Columbia intake, the one without summer internship, any advice on that one?

Reading the leadership outsdie work, I was more active while in University. With work, I did some event for overseas insitution in China, including GSB (now Booth).
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: International applicant - please evaluate [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2009, 15:46
Darlynn,

Yes, you at no disadvantage applying "third round" for schools with January intakes. As for Chicago, schools generally admit fewer people in the third round than in the first two, so your odds of admission are generally lower.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter