Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 02:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

International B-School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

International B-School [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2005, 00:24
Hi,

I'm seeking advice on applying to business school in Europe. Some basic stats: I'm a US citizen, and graduated with a B.S. in Management & Technology from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. My GPA was solid (3.54 total, 4.0 my last 3 semesters). I also have solid work experience (3 years of consulting for Accenture/Big 5, followed by 3 years of Biz Dev for a leading Software company in Silicon Valley). Finally, I did very well on the the GMAT (770).

I was strongly considering Stanford GSB and HBS, until someone suggested that I consider looking into MBA programs at top schools outside of the US. My question is this: without any true international experience, and without fluently speaking another language, how difficult will it be to gain acceptance into a school like IMD (in Switzerland)?

Another thought/angle: since 2006 admission deadlines have passed for many of the European programs, I'm thinking about teaching business English in Eastern Europe to gain International experience. I figure that not only will it be a good chance to get a lesson in international culture and language, but that it will also open doors to potential business contacts for both near-term and long-term opportunity. Question is, will this strengthen or weaken my apps to b-school (both domestic and international)?

Any thoughts and/or advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: International B-School [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2005, 07:17
Expert's post
stolos1 wrote:
Hi,

I'm seeking advice on applying to business school in Europe. Some basic stats: I'm a US citizen, and graduated with a B.S. in Management & Technology from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. My GPA was solid (3.54 total, 4.0 my last 3 semesters). I also have solid work experience (3 years of consulting for Accenture/Big 5, followed by 3 years of Biz Dev for a leading Software company in Silicon Valley). Finally, I did very well on the the GMAT (770).

I was strongly considering Stanford GSB and HBS, until someone suggested that I consider looking into MBA programs at top schools outside of the US. My question is this: without any true international experience, and without fluently speaking another language, how difficult will it be to gain acceptance into a school like IMD (in Switzerland)?

Another thought/angle: since 2006 admission deadlines have passed for many of the European programs, I'm thinking about teaching business English in Eastern Europe to gain International experience. I figure that not only will it be a good chance to get a lesson in international culture and language, but that it will also open doors to potential business contacts for both near-term and long-term opportunity. Question is, will this strengthen or weaken my apps to b-school (both domestic and international)?

Any thoughts and/or advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I don't believe that IMD has a language requirement for acceptance. Certainly int'l experience will help you gain acceptance, but almost as important as past experience is showing that you have a good reason for wanting to attend IMD. You should also consider programs like LBS which still has 3 deadlines for 2006. BTW, we are hosting a chat for LBSon December 5. BTW, IMD's deadlines for 2006 have not passed. The next one is February 1.

Regarding the year of teaching, it would certainly be a broadening experience, but I am not sure that teaching English will really give you the contacts you expect. If you want to do it for the personal enrichment or because it somehow supports your career goals, that makes sense. I wouldn't do this just to enhance your acceptance chances.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog