Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

International Experience = International MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
International Experience = International MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 01:33
Although American, I have only worked outside of the US across Asia, living in 3 different countries for the last 6 years (Singapore, India, Taiwan). In addition I have learned how to speak mandarin-chinese proficiently and Japanese at a basic level.

Ultimately, upon graduation from any MBA program, I plan to continue working in Asia. My question is: is a MBA from the US still worth pursuing for me?

My understanding of the career placement with US schools is that they are primarily US-centric e.g. if you go to Columbia then you will be offered jobs in the northeast and new york. I know there is no hard and fast rule on this because one could find a job anywhere in the world coming from any school, but generally speaking, what would you advise given that I am looking for jobs located in hong kong, singapore, shanghai?
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: International Experience = International MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 16:46
Expert's post
If you are looking for jobs in Hong Kong ,Singapore and Shangai, you should probably aim for MBA programs in Asia e.g. NUS Business School - National University of Singapore, School of Business - University of Hong Kong MBA, Nanyang Business School - Singapore, INSEAD - Singapore
etc.
You have more international experience than most applicants do, so you may be a better fit for schools like INSEAD that boast of a 93% of international candidates.
I hope it helped.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image Image

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: International Experience = International MBA? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 02:10
Thank you myEssayReview for the reply...I agree with what you said but what about European programs? The top programs in Europe such as Insead, IMD, ESADE, HEC, etc all have good track records for job placement in Asia as well, which makes sense since they all have a high intake of Asian applicants. And if you cross off the top 10 schools in the US, what would you say would be advantage of going to a top 11-30 US school compared to a top 10 school in Europe for someone like me?

Please consider the following, my three biggest concerns are: time, cost, and value (not necessarily in that order).
- For me, I am eager to start my post-MBA career and generally feel a two year program is too long. Especially since there are many good programs such as ESADE which offers a 15 month program where you can earn your mba and go do an internship like in a normal 2 year program
- Top mba programs in the US are north of $120,000 or even now almost $170,000 at Columbia when you factor in living expenses, etc. Whereas non-US schools are half of that or less.
- When I consider the value of a top tier school from the US and a top tier school from Europe/Asia, I weigh the above with job placement opportunities in Asia, networking opportunities, relative strength of each program, and programs which truly appreciate my type of background (not just say "we teach the international perspective" but with a hidden caveat "...however through an American lens")
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: International Experience = International MBA? [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 07:39
Expert's post
Sure, all the European programs you have listed are great. I mentioned only Asian programs because you have already been living there, learned different languages , and you have plans to continue working there.

In fact, you have done great home work on the MBA programs in Asia, Europe, and the US and you have pretty much planned out everything. Yes, I agree , if you are want to go in for shorter well as less expensive programs, your best bet will be Asian programs. European programs are also great, but living expenses in Europe would be more as compared to Asia.

You are on the right track. Good luck on your MBA journey.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image Image

Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 458 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: International Experience = International MBA? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 08:58
Expert's post
Dude, you are totally right that Euro programs are FAR more international than US programs. As mentioned above, Asian programs could also be preeeeetty interesting for ya, given your Asia goals and your pan-Asia experience. INSEAD seems SUPER ideal to me, cause of their two campuses, and you could do one semester in Singapore and one in Europe, and hell, it's one of the best schools out there anyhow.

If you aren't looking to live in the US for a few years after school, it definitely makes less sense, although I wouldn't suggest ruling that option out completely, cause there are some truly awesome programs there...
If you have any further questions, just let us know!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: International Experience = International MBA?   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2012, 08:58